don't click here

Robotnik vs. Eggman

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skywatcher, Jul 11, 2008.

Which name do you prefer/use/etc.?

1. It's Dr. Robotnik, silleh. You needs an evil name to be evil. Yeesh!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, it's Dr. Eggman. He looks like an egg for cripes sake!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who ACTUALLY cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    Question: are the Archie comics/AoSTH/SatAM translated into Japanese, and if so, what do they call Robotnik? With AoSTH, I can understand them calling him Eggman, but Robotnik and Eggman are two different people in the Archie universe.

And given that America produced a good bunch of America-first material that was Sonic canon or whatever, and called him Robotnik, that at the very least means that Robotnik is canon in some sense.

2. Jeiku

Jeiku

I highly doubt that the Archie comics and cartoons are brought over to Japan. If I recall, Yuji Naka stated that he had never heard of them until much, much later.

I honestly find this very lol. In fact, for some reason I never really liked the Eggman character in the series (probably because I never cared for the whole alternate-universe schtick to begin with). Though if they had been translated, they probably would have called Robo-Robotnik "Eggman mkII" or something.

3. Well if they did bring AoSTH to Japan you can tell what Sonic Says segment they'd need to replace all the others with. :v:

4. My theory is it was the anime hype that caused Dr. Robotnik's Japanese name to come to the states. Another theory would be that they have to keep making money, and by changing to a less intimidating name like Eggman would make it more appealing to a younger audience. People like new stuff. Changing names and introducing new characters and scenarios is what is keeping Sonic alive at this point, as unfortunate as that may sound.

Maybe the best thing to do is make a compromise? Using Dr. Robotnik to refer to the pre-SA character, and using Eggman to refer to the new character. As for the Archie comics, I don't take them seriously. And I voted Dr. Robotnik by the way, just 'cause I like the good ol' days.

5. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I never understood this debate. His name was always Dr. Ivo Robotnik, his nicknames Eggman. Eggman isn't suppose to be his real name, even in SA2, you see the name Robotnik scroll across the screen, when Eggman blows up the moon.

6. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

New Hampshire, USA
    He speaks the truth. in the video he plays before firing his lazer, "Robotnik Empire" scrolls by in the background.

Can anyone nab a clip of that in the original Japanese game to see what it say? I'd imagine that it's probably Eggman Empire or some form of moonspeak, but it's still be nice to check.

7. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I believe it's the same.

The Intro to SA2B is the same in japan, besides the logo is japspeak, I doubt they made 2 versions, that could also be why it has both names, to localize it to both country's.

If I can track down the jap verson I'll check.

8. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

New Hampshire, USA
    Wait, so if Robotnik was the name coined by Sega of America, and the Japanese have started using it as his real name as well in some of their games and whatnot (MK pointed to it's use in Sonic X and Sonic Riders as well), then that means that in both ends of the globe Eggman has been accepted as a nickname and Dr. Ivo Robotnik has been deemed his real name.

So where's the debate coming from?

9. America wins?

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's an MPG video, so it'll be the same for both. Plus, they've used it in other games - eg "Robotonik" in Sonic the Fighters.

Weeaboos. Seriously, a lot of the Eggman SI WIN thing is coming from die-hard Japan fans.

I'd say Anglosphere wins, seeing as Sonic 1 was out in Europe before Japan too ;)

11. Robotnik.

12. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    I grew up with Robotnik, so the fatman will always be Robotnik to me. And LOL, I remember making this topic at Cult and getting banned for a week :v:

13. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Robuttnik kthnx.

Actually, I seem to be able to use both interchangeably.

14. Fluffy Clouds

Fluffy Clouds

WAS A KID. Member
    San Fernando Valley, California
    GTA San Andreas trainer SCM hook.
    I first heard Eggman, but when I heard Robotnik I was like "Fuck Eggman, Robotnik's better."

I voted Robotnik. It seems more suitable to him, and I think it's better.

15. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

This weeaboo argument intrigues me. It's not like we're spelling Sonic 'Sonikku' or whatever (which is redundant considering that it is the word that was intended, only spelt in this way due to the limitations of spelling phonetically with a set amount of characters) but rather using the original name of the character, shown rather explicitly in the graphics of the original games, and also the name that's been referred to almost exclusively in the modern games in regards to the character as opposed to his family, aside from a few moments.

Do you guys moan at people who call Darth Vader that instead of Anakin Skywalker?

16. BuffaloWilder

BuffaloWilder

One of these men cannot be right. Member
    - except it was recognized as a nickname even by Sega, at the time of the first game's release.

Why is this even a debate, really?

17. Taylor

Taylor

Because Sonic is serious fucking business.

18. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I don't really care, but I voted "Eggman" because that's what I use the most.

Even when I role-play with my girlfriend and another friend, we use Eggman.

And to the person who said that they can't find a insult for Eggman, my friend has a few :(

19. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

New Hampshire, USA
    "I'm a naughty schoolgirl!"

"Well I have an I.Q. of 300 and a penchant for turning animals into robots!"

"Why am I role-playing with you two again?"

20. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Maybe I should re-word it. We refer to Robotnik as Eggman.

And it's not necessarily like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.