don't click here

REZ Hacking

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Woofmute, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Well, I'm nulling out the contents of the PLAYER.NB file, so that will determine whether the player is stored in it.

I do have a completed file on my Dreamcast VMU, but my Nexus VMU has not arrived yet, so I'd be unable to dump the save, but I could allways have a look, if you want.

2. Nnnng. My roommate came upon a pile of 100 clean CD-R's. perfect timing, if you guys come up with anything cool. Rez is still by and far one of my favorite pieces of games as art. Keep up the interesting finds, and lemme know if you need help with anything.

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Not needed. I already know for a fact.

[​IMG]

4. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Awesomesauce.

So what program are you using to view them?

5. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    ExMdlNet. It has support for .NJ/.NB.

6. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Ah, I was just trying to open them in that program after you mentioned it being in Ninja model format. You just renamed it's extention to NJ? Or was there anything else involved?

7. ccat

ccat

Nice to know something can read the format, too bad we don't know how to put stuff back into the game. not just yet, gentlemen
    Is that thing capable of writing as well?

Forgive my noobness when it comes to Dreamcast, but is there anything serious preventing from replacing the files on the rom with ones of a slightly bigger size? I thought that the times of addressing a specific byte on a rom is a thing of the past. (question regarding Jake's claim on the MID swapping)
    Unless there are problems with slapping a bootable GD back together.

8. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    I have problems remaking the disc images. I use a tool called CDMage, which is able to open up Rez. I'm limited to file sizes because of that, it cannot open the beta without killing your computer.

So if I ever learn to remake disc images, file size limits should hopefully be lifted.

EDIT:Found some unused content. In the file 'Title_Model.NB', there are unused models from a beta opening video. Not much in there, just some letters made of squares, that would spell 'K-PRJ'.

And an unused model, that is only seen in the test mode.

[​IMG]

9. ccat

ccat

Wouldn't making a plain selfboot work?

10. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Possibly. But I'm rubbish at those things.

Anyway, I played through Area5 shooting down a fair amount of enemies, but not them all, and got to the Boss Rush area. I let myself be hit till I was form 0, and battled the Eden defenses. I shot down the first missile tower, but left the second to kill me. At which point, the white background and fog went black, and that music began playing. Eden crumbled to pieces, and the pieces floated to the ground. Credits followed.

11. ccat

ccat

Oh. Well, I never failed that much so I couldn't really recognize this part.

I attempted to make a selfboot, it froze nulldc. Looks like it's not that simple.

12. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    I think there is some things in the disc image that are important to the game, because I edited some text strings on the beta disc image, and the edit's worked. But these seemed to be stored on the disc image, not on other files within the image. And then there's the matter of structuring it in all ways possible, so that it's exactly like it expects. One structure error, and it'll fail.

Anyway, now that we've established where models are (Did anyone else try the level NB files? If we could edit those, then we'd have a great way to hack the game deeper) I may try a model swap. I'll post how it goes when I do eventually try one.

If you are able to make a usable midi, I'd love to try it in the game.

13. ccat

ccat

You don't need anything to make it bootable besides the game directory and a IP.BIN which can be generated, sadly I can't seem to get the parameters right and it crashes the hardware immediately.

Remember that it's the way those ISOs were made in the first place.

14. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    I think that there is an unused transition sound in the beta Area5 sound pack. The unused one is the first sound from the beta file.

Beta-Here
    Final-Here

I'm still waiting for my new Nexus VMU, but when it arrives, I'll let you all know how custom Mainflow events go.

15. ccat

ccat

You could save/load mainflows from a memcard? Didn't know that one actually works. Hell knows, maybe that's how they made it, instead of writing utilities on their work computers.
    Gotta try this one on emu (I can always hex the VMU data)

Offtopic: Does anyone know how to make the goddamn mouse work on nulldc? Would so make fucking around with the beta easier for me as I can't even use analog sticks.

16. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    On the beta, it automatically checks for mainflow files for the level you are on. If it can't find them, it uses the default ones. This could work in the final, but I'd have to edit the files name, or insert it into the disc image.

I don't think there is a controller plugin that allows you to use your PC mouse directly, you'll have to settle for setting up a good controller 2 configuration.

EDIT: To save Mainflow files, just press S while using the Mainflow editor. To kill Mainflow commands, press K. Press N to create a new command, When you have pressed N, use page up and down to change what type of command it is, and use the arrow keys to set when this command will happen.

17. ccat

ccat

Thanks for the tip.

18. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    This is fucking brilliant. Now we just need to figure out how to reverse-engineer this into an OSS PC version...

What, I can dream. :P

19. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Those .mpb files will probably be in the Yamaha ADPCM format. There was a tool in the DC SDK to convert PCM to that form of ADPCM, but it would be illegal for me to obtain that tool, I think.

We have pretty much everything you would need to remake Rez for the PC actually, but only just. Music samples need alot of work to get them to sound clear like in-game, and models would need texturing, and then we'd have to animate, and create the wireframe effect around the textured objects. And then re-create the Mainflow system.

Your dream is possible, but it could only be accomplished in the far future. My Rez2 project can, and will, satisfy you whenever that gets made.

20. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Not much going on with this recently. But I decided to experiment with the PS2 equialent to .mpb, the .pmp format. I didn't have much luck with importing settings like I did with .mpb files. I then told Ccat, who suggested I try a handy program called PSound. (It can scan for and extract Playstation One and Two sounds and samples). I had much more luck with this program than with Audacity, and here are some samples to prove it-Area 1, 4 and 5 samples.

in the .zip file are some unfinished FLStudio project files which I am in the process of finishing. Feel free to open them in ln FLStudio. (Won't work with the trial!).