don't click here

Project AXSX (Sonic Xtreme and SONIC CD REMIX A 2.5D game)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it.
    as for the blocks extruding out of the wall.
    That portion of the level is just roughed out, hasn't really been tweaked yet,
    when I was doing the grass proof of concept, I never imagined I'd post a screen shot,
    but I liked how it was going so I posted the screen to gather opinions to see if anyone liked the grass concept.

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Video of the new logo I'm working on.
    Yeah its early and unfinished, but I thought it was cool enough to show it off anyways.

Haven't been able to work on this in a long time,
    however I have some in progress screens for Sonic CD remix, its still coming !

Palm tree panic has got to be the hardest sonic zone to bring into 3D! well so far. lol
    The impossible contours of shapes that make up the 2D play-field takes quite a bit of imagination bringing them into a 3D world.

[​IMG]

Also My new Custom grass shader (realtime and in game screen-shot!)
    YES!! It really moves in the wind!!!
    Hopefully we can get sonics Speed to interact with the grass!
    [​IMG]

3. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    *whistles* This is some great looking stuff here, man. I've got no complaints really, other than to maybe brighten up the colors on the Palmtree Panic stuff (unless it'll look brighter in game, in which case ignore me.)

Logo's looking snazzy, too. I like it.

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Stunning work you have done there Andrew75.

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Thanks guys, Just wait till it all comes together into final production form.
    I'll be putting alot into this the next couple of weeks.

6. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    May I ask you how did you do (or where did you find) your grass shader ? I'm trying to find one that looks like this for my studies, grass is always a weak point in my projects. Thanks, and I can't wait to see some gameplay in your 3D levels. :)

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hi there, and thanks.
    The shader was produced in C4 engines custom shader editor, I couldn't tell you how to reproduce it in another game engine.
    However.....I can tell you that the textures are very important in making good grass, even without a shader, You can achieve good looking grass.
    Hand painting them in Photoshop is key.

p.s. there were no tutorials to do the grass, I just had an idea and tinkered around with it till it gave good results.
    I'm sure you can find some good grass for game engine tuts on Google or Youtube though.
    in the end it will come down to what your engine can handle,
    If it cant Handel , than a workaround would need to be planned out, something creative yet simple.
    like modeling the grass as prefabs and sticking them into your game world as static models.

8. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    Thanks a lot for your answer. It's not for a game engine, it's for architectural rendering programs that I need it. I'll try to obtain a good texture or I'll try to make one myself (well, I guess the bump file is very important too). Again, thank you. :)

9. TheLoz

TheLoz

UK
    Learning
    This is looking really exciting. I mean, a playable Xtreme is a great project as it is, but the Sonic CD remake? Brilliant.
    Sonic CD was the wierdest, most radically different of all the older Sonic games, so it'd be amazing to see it redone like this, and the renders you've posted so far are gorgeous, especially that grass. I'll be intrigued to see how your realistic-style take works for Collision Chaos, especially its bizzare backdrops. This is really ambitious, but I'm psyched for it :)

10. Xeniczone

Xeniczone

Yeah I'm kind of excited to do Sonic CD Remix as well, because Andrew has shown a lot of great renders with ideas for the game. Right now though we are working on Sonic Xtreme then we will work on SCD Remix. Andrew just lets his A-D-D take over and starts working on a different game. :D

We have definitely put a lot of work into Xtreme so far. We originally started working together on the game in 2006, and we still haven't made a stable build yet. We keep finding stuff wrong, saying "this isn't any good" and then we would scrap it and start over. Every time we do that we would make it just a little bit better, and now we are starting work on our best Xtreme Engine to date. With physics ripped from Sonic 1,2,3, graphics taken straight from the pictures of magazines in 1996, and gameplay received in private emails with some of the original creators. Though production is slow, I believe it is turning out very very good, and I can't wait to release a new video of gameplay for you guys.

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Back on track with AXSX, (Andrew Xeniczone Sonic Xtreme)
    Seems our 2 man team is getting closer to a functioning Xtreme engine with this.
    I thought it a bit early for a new video, However Xeniczone wanted to show off some of our new physics,
    So heres his new video.

( please ignore the pop-in here model was an old build,
    and thanks to youtube, the texture colors are way off)

12. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I'm gonna have to get myself a usb saturn controller. The Sonic CD stuff is really neat, too.

13. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Amazing as always glad to see that AXSX is still getting worked on! Looks near enough perfect replica of the originally Sonic Xtreme game.

14. Namo

Namo

I was literally just about to ask if there were any AXSX updates - lo and behold!

To be honest, I'm more interested in AXSX than the Sonic CD stuff. But not for any bad reasons - it's just I've always loved the way Xtreme looks, and I've played Sonic CD to hell and back.

When the AXSX project gets more headway, are you planning on remaking the levels based on videos?

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Full steam ahead !

16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    That Palmtree Panic Zone looks cool in 3D fisheye, can't wait to see Stardust Speedway Zone if you plan on it =P

17. Mahdi

Mahdi

Hey Andrew, you should call your Sonic CD Remix project Sonic CD-R :)
    Like an unofficial disk..

BTW the grass looks off the chain!

18. Alphaman

Alphaman

Other than the portions of levels you know from videos, where are you gonna go with this gameplay-wise? Is the plan to do pretty much Bug!-style levels with Sonic (meaning no diagonal walking or areas with large open fields to explore, mostly paths) or adopt the post-Mario 64 3D-jump & run approaches as well (sandbox levels)?

The engine looks good and faithful to the original, I'm just not sure if it will allow anything but "2d from a different angle"-style-levels since the fisheye is kind of distracting. I'd probably get lost in that demo-playground, but it'd be a shame to limit the engine to Bug-style levels IMO. After all, although I like the game from time to time, it's hardly a classic.

So either way, I'm excited to see what kind of gameplay you're gonna pair with the engine. The overall "walking around round objects"-style only makes it more interesting and makes me even more curious how it's all gonna fit together.

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Here, Sonic can deify gravity, imagine the possibilities!
    levels will be built for both speed and exploration,
    But, this wont be any sandbox game, thats for sure. :)

20. Namo

Namo

I wouldn't mind some kind of overworld, myself. That's just me though.

Were there any badnik sprites for Xtreme? I don't recall ever seeing any.