don't click here

Project AXSX (Sonic Xtreme and SONIC CD REMIX A 2.5D game)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Well Guys, I'm sort of at a point right now where I may chose to quit my Sonic fan game projects,
    I've been at it since 2006, and well, quite frankly I'm kind of tired of doing this,
    Its just that I feel I'm not going anywhere with AXSX and CD remix.
    The 2 projects are to massive to tackle alone without a team really.
    Pushing myself has taken a toll on me, mentaly and even physicly.
    Basicly im exausted. :(

2. What you need then is some help with your projects. You don't have to do this all by yourself, and I'm sure if you offered the chance for people to offer their services, some would be more than happy to do so.

Take a break for a while, and come back when your rested. I'm sure you will feel much better then.

3. dsrb

dsrb

Yeah, really. You have a lot of talent and clearly have a passion for what you do. Hopefully you can find help if you need it – people with the relevant skills should be jumping at the chance, if you ask me! Allow yourself to have a break, in any case, and don't feel bad. You've done enough to deserve it!

4. Falk

Falk

Speaking as someone who's taken on hilariously massive undertakings both past and present (and not just music) sometimes you just need to take a step back and breathe. Other times, as suggested, you may need to trust that you'll find other people who both are adequate to the job and bring their own touch to the table (I bet you know what I'm talking about here :V). Other times, even after a break you may feel it actually is time to call it quits, and even then it's not a a total loss; everything regardless of state of completion is valuable experience and practice.

That being said I really hope both projects go somewhere. While not exactly related I found GHZ 2.5D a breath of fresh air in the relative ocean of Sonic ____ HD remakes of existing games.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hey man it's up to you, it's a project you make for fun. If it's not fun anymore, why do it?

6. So you're human; the amount and quality of stuff that you have produced is impresive, but I think you have dedicated too much time, plus you're a perfectionist (very).

Take a long break, really. Nobody is holding his breath while waiting for Sonic fangames/hacks, and meanwhile think on what you want to do: a single SMALL realistic project, or several unconcluded mini-levels. Even if you have a team of people, it will probably go nowhere, because you need dedicated people.

The lack of praise is also underwhelming, but whatever you decide, I hope you don't vanish...

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Perhaps I'll just take that break, after all we've come so far, everything till now would have been a wast of time, and I don't want to see that.
    Although when I look into the future, there are so many levels, enemies, bosses, and other crap that needs to be made,
    for now I'll finish the zones that I've started,
    The only way I can see myself finishing a full game is if I lower my quality standards a bit.
    Perhaps when the time comes to fully pull the plug, I'll release what I have to the public to do with what they want.
    lot of stress and pressure comes from doing a project such as this. team or no team.
    Anyways its something I've been thinking about for awhile now.

8. Raz

Raz

USA
    Even long after Project S went under, I would get repeatedly bitten by the Sonic bug. This whole time all I really wanted was to say we finished one single good level :| as I post I'm installing UDK to give SonicGDK another look :P

I think if you scaled down your expectations you'd be happier, doing a lot of small/short projects like the others said. I absolutely loved that winter demo :) I think you just need variety, and small stuff can give you that freedom. I wouldn't want to see you disappear completely either.

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I've always admired your tenacity, as these projects are easily the most ambitious of the fan community. Remaking a full game in HD AND reviving a long-cancelled game? Those are pretty lofty goals, and I think we can all respect you for taking a step back :) Especially if it's causing you physical problems. Take a LONG break, and if you're up to it, come back! But don't try to do it all alone when it's causing so much stress, 'cuz that's no good!

10. Flipside

Flipside

Yeah, the only fan game I'm holding my breath for is Sonic 2 HD. ... ... Stop looking at me like that!

This is a huge project and not even SEGA made Sonic 2 from scratch. They built it off of Sonic 1.

Of all the fan games out there, there's only a few I'd be willing to download. This is one of them. Just hope my C Drive can take it.

It isn't worth it if you keep working yourself into the ground because you don't have a real time limit. Give yourself the rest you need. This will make it get done faster, especially if you have a passion for this.

It's one thing remaking a memorable game from 20 years ago, but it's another making something new that people will cherish for 20 years.

Good job carrying the torch. Good luck, man.

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Working on some new texture concepts for An all New zone that will be featured in Sonic CD Remix.,
    will be posting updates on the new WIP texturing stuff here.
    please ignore the models that the texture is applied to, as they are just place holders for testing depth, and shading.

First variant here is just a standard rock texture, (diffuse, specular, normal and Interactive lighting AO maps.
    Next I will be adding more details and colors to this and make it more sonic like.
    Textures are all Procedurally painted, and tillable
    [​IMG]

Edit: and to show how lighting interacts with my custom shader,
    [​IMG]

12. Wow, I'm always amazed as to how realistic you make these things. I mean, looking at it, I can't see it as a Sonic environment simply because Sonic's normally cartoon-y look would look out of place. I'm sure I'm wrong, but this just looks absolutely stunning.

Also, I'm really glad that you aren't shelving the project. Just don't overwork yourself. It's not something you're getting paid for, so take your time. If you feel worn-out, just take a break until you're ready to pick it back up. There's no real pressure to do this, so don't make any pressure for yourself.

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Had a little freetime today to work on texture ideas.

Yeah sonic is still in the GHZ 2.5D mode lol
    [​IMG]

In editor screen,,,lighting not quite there yet,
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    I feel these textures are a real visual fail.
    anyways
    another new shader I'm working on tonight.
    Color mixing, here the color shapes fade in and out realtime, they are also animated to move around during gameplay related to sonic's screen position.
    I have some nice ideas in mind for this shader tech.
    [​IMG]

14. How on earth are these a "visual fail"? I think they look really good. If you do decide to post more pictures, and if it isn't too much work, could you possibly swap out the Sonic model with a 3D looking one, and zoom out so we can see what you're doing with the textures? Even if you're just applying them to the Green Hill level you made for testing, it would be nice to see how these textures look in a 3D environment instead of zoomed in to only show the texture itself.

It's just that if you're calling this a fail, then you must be seeing something that we aren't, because this looks very nice on our end. (At least, to me it does)

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I haven't even made a sonic model for the project yet, ^__^

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Realtime cloud shader WIP. (work in progress)

yes the clouds are animated....
    here are a few frames.... (calm day to hurricane)
    [​IMG]

17. ...Wow.

I've got nothing, just...

Wow...

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Just started blocking out some basic shapes from some lost Sonic CD art for a boss.
    No textures yet, some minor tweaks here and there and it should be ready to go.

I love how Robotnic has pointed teeth in the concept work,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. How are we supposed to fight this? I mean, all I can think of is basically a repeat of Emerald Hill Zone's boss battle, but with a different shaped target to hit.

20. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    I would assume that things rotates around him while he is floating in the air or something?

Edit: Then again, doesn't seem like it can hover.