don't click here

Project AXSX (Sonic Xtreme and SONIC CD REMIX A 2.5D game)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    How about 3d-izing those old sprites in a "3D Classics" way?

That would get rid of the cardboard look while staying true to the retro style.

2. synchronizer

synchronizer

I just looked at the old Jade Gully E3 video again, and it looks like Sonic's jumps between planes is semi-on rails. It has a slightly unnatural jerk to it.

3. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Aww, needs at least shader model 3. I will let you know how it runs on my own PC when my new graphics card arrives (monday or tuesday.). Seems this Dell PC can't handle it.

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    If I were to add rails to this game, how would it work ?
    I cant really picture what you guys are seeing.
    ( excluding loops ect)

p.s. maybe some illustrations would be nice.
    p.p.s. wouldn't rails take away from the freedom of movement ?

Yeah that can be done ^__^

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

I'm referring to the areas where there are no multiple paths, and loops, where there are lines of rings. It's a tad annoying to line up perfectly just to get rings, especially on a linear pathway. Of course, you're right that limiting movement would be bad. So, I propose that you snap Sonic onto linear looping paths so he can get rings more easily. Would this work without destroying the system?

Oh, and I found an odd collision error that got me stuck inside the waterfall and the surrounding platforms. This really is like a classic game! XD. I'm sure it will be fixed.

6. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Come on guys,, Need some more PC specs and what FPS the machine gets...

7. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    Well, I got a black screen in Wine so far, so yeah.

8. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    I've got an ATI Radeon HD 4670, and it plays at around 38FPS at 720p. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with 4GB of RAM and a 2.7GHz quad core CPU. If I overclock my video card like I usually do (change the memory clock from 400MHz to 550MHz; can't touch the core clock all that much, it doesn't like it), I get around 50FPS.

Edit: oh, and the core clock of the video card is 750MHz, and it has 1GB VRAM.

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    thanks guys now I know where we stand ,
    so ya, anyone with just a little faster GFX card than the ATI?
    Next lets find the bare minimum configuration that can achieve 60 fps.

10. Falk

Falk

Getting a solid 60 with no drops (... well, 62 according to fraps) on a HD6850. Not particularly useful info by itself but at least you have a ceiling to work with!

11. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    That he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZb7LE6G5Gg

Anyway, I didn't get around to playing this yet, unfortunately. When I get around to doing so, I'll tell you my thoughts and it's performance. However I tried it for a few minutes on my cousin's laptop and it certainly looks nice! Problem was I had to get off his laptop and the game lagged pretty badly. Plus, I relentlessly tried using my 360 controller. Do you plan on adding controller support at all? After all, you ARE using UDK and that has native controller support, so I honestly have no idea why you wouldn't utilize it... Unless I did something wrong o.o

In any case, keep up the good work. At least you got SOMEthing done, right? :P If I can make a suggestion, try interpolating Sonic's spruces a bit more, so they flow more. Xtreme's videos LOOKED like they did this (for the most part), so it'd be great if you made Sonic's spruces flow a lot more seamlessly :3 if you need help with that, I'm willing!

One thing I MUST ask: what's with the sparkles around Sonic? Those weren't in the videos anywhere. Or the screenshots. EDIT: wasn't looking at it right, lol. Still, the sparkles should only be around Sonic when he's, what, moving very fast...?

Oh and one more thing: rings seem to be slightly magnetic to Sonic. Keep that in mind!

12. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    RAM: 3.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz
    Graphics: HP w2207 (1680x1050@59Hz) on 512MB GeForce 9500 GT

Averaging at 30-45 depending on complexity of the screen at a given time

13. OverlyEquipped

OverlyEquipped

OverlyEquipped Member
    Wow, I've actually been having a lot of fun with Project AXSX! For me, it seems a little disorienting at first but once I got the gist of where things were, I was really getting into this game. I'd love to see more work being put into this because I believe that you've got something special with this recreation of Sonic Xtreme! It kind of sucks though when my computer decides that it needs to automatically shutdown in order to complete the process, but that's just a minor complaint really.

14. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Extremely nice work. Had a play with it before and I am very impressed. It's great to see GDK being used for something like this, and I can't wait to see more!

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Thanks guys, also how many of you had your computers auto shutdown after the install?
    I haven't had this happen, will have to look into it , may be related to UDK itself.

Yes the 360 controller should work with UDK, unless its the wireless one , in that case it will never work unless you have the wireless adapter for PC.

The magnetic rings , Hnmm, Ya I was thinking about doing that,
    I ended up going with a cooler effect,
    When you collect the rings the twinkles(Random rings) hit and bounce on the ground, kinda like sparks.
    ( sorry I deviated from the path of being accurate)

The sparkles that follow sonic do indeed several around him when hes standing still, ( but it only seems to have been in the boss stages)
    (there is video footage which supports this, as well as some mag screens)
    Again Deviating, I added them into the main level as I find them to be quite bad ass.
    Please Check 2:03

16. S1impikenz

S1impikenz

Sonic 1 layout hack
    I'm getting a constant 61.99 FPS in full screen at any set resolution (inc. 1920x1080)
    My system's specs are as followed:

OS = Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit
    Rating = 7.0 (Windows Experience Index)
    CPU = AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHz
    GPU = Radeon HD 5670
    RAM = 8.00 GB

As for the Demo itself, it's exactly how I imagined the original to play! As a Sonic Xtreme follower for many years, you've done an outstanding job replicating what I've been wanting to experience from the gameplay of those early PC videos!

As for the auto computer shutdown after the installation, it happened to my computer. When logging back on my computer, the installation corrupted, but it still extracted everything except for the game files itself. Anxious to play the game, I had my computer try to perform the game installation again and it surprisingly worked. Also, for the gameplay, I messed with the games config files and somehow got the game's HUD (Rings, lives, time, etc..) showing up on the screen (except when dying, the ACT banner makes the display screen turn black). Also, for anyone else being distracted by the "Lighting needs to be rebuilt" text on the top left corner of the screen, just press "tab" during gameplay and type "ToggleAllScreenMessages" and press enter. :v:

17. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Wow. I could make a whole compendium of bugs and problems I've gotten with this. No, I'm not bashing this; in fact after playing AXSX it's actually really fun! But there's just so many flaws in the level design (yes yes it's a beta level, but it's just...) and apparently the programming that I just really believe these issues need to be adressed.

1) Wasn't a point of Xtreme that Sonic wouldn't fall into bottomless pits? Yet that's happened on numerous occasions to me, and even happens at the very beginning! (most likely due to no collision barrier?).

2) Eh, the world seems pretty barren. Again, that's just because of the level itself being a test ground, right? ...Right?

3) I broke the game through normal gameplay. I don't believe this should happen. And suprisingly I never did so through spindash; I just jumped and walked onto certain inclines and made gravity my bitch. And the camera didn't like that. Video to come soon.

I'll report more problems later. All in all though, solid work so far, and I expect great things in the future! Much, MUCH potential here for awesomeness.

That brings up a proposal. Why not, at some point, when you're finished (God willing) with everything (or just need to call it quits), release the source to this game? I think it'd be awesome if the levels got graphical upgrades for those who want the game to look prettier, however since this would be a mod people who prefer the retro look also get what they want. Along with that, just think of the potential levels that would come out of this!

Of course you don't need to listen to me at all and continue on with your business in making this very cool game :specialed:

18. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    So I just played this with my PS3 controller. The game functions pretty well but I did experience a couple of glitches. It would also be nice if you added d-pad controls since some sections would be easier with a d-pad. I also felt the ducking mechanics could be nicer and if that's going to be the only way to spindash in the final game, can it be moved from the circle button to the square button? I don't know how to activate something that shows me the framerate but I think it ran at around 60 frames per second on my 1080p monitor. Since hitting F11 to go into full screen mode makes the game look much blurrier than window mode, I had the window maximized instead. These are my computer specs.

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X2 550
    Callisto 45nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA790X-UD4P (Socket M2)
    Graphics
    W2361 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    512MB GeForce GTS 250 (EVGA)
    Hard Drives
    977GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD103UJ ATA Device (SATA)
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223L ATA Device
    Audio
    ASUS Xonar DS Audio Device

Edit-

I really love how this project is turning out so keep up the good work. :) Optional HD textures would be pretty nice though. <_<

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Wanted to get an update out on youtube, since there hasn't been any.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHsie6AQt5Q&feature=plcp&context=C34fbe93UDOEgsToPDskIb24ar9zhm0liLprSnZBNa

20. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Get Fraps. The demo works fine for just showing you your framerate.