don't click here

Original Project Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd just take the best levels and features from mods like Megamix and Advanced Edit (if everybody involved agreed with it, of course)... But I'd call it Sonic 9. =P

"Sonic 4" would make more sense as a port of Sonic Advance, which I'd love to see in old-school Mega Drive format.

2. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    And we all know how their games turn out.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I agree with you, and I don't feel like a Wally for pointing this out. :words:lol Dilbert

4. Matwek

Matwek

Maybe if people had something to work towards there would be more interest, set up somekind of competition style 'Design a badnick' or 'Level theme', something along the lines of the sketches origionally posted. Obviously it would be pretty basic stuff but it will at least give an idea of what will work and what won't, I for one would really like to see this project go ahead (one of the reasons why I joined the forum rather then just remaining as regular bystander) but don't feel as if I could contribute by randomly throwing out ideas with no aim.

Even if the whole thing doesn't come together at least it would be interesting to see how creative people can be if they were in charge of the sonic sequels.

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    If this ever gets off the ground I would be open to something like that.

6. Chronoja

Chronoja

If you guys are adversed to calling it Sonic 4 then you should consider the Duke Nukem idea of naming process and try Sonic Forever, don't think I saw it mentioned in the last 7 pages or perhaps there are other reasons against it.

Has the nice "Four" idea going on there, plus has the nice poignant idea that well Sonic forever.

Also theres the high chances it could become vaporware almost like DNF itself lol

But anyways thats hardly important. I think this project would be something of a mountain to climb, but if you were able to build from the ground up a completely new sonic game worthy of continuing on from S3K and not just mashing together old sprites and sounds like a typical fan game, if pulled off though it would be beyond awesome.

The most difficult part of this whole idea would be to consolidate everybodies ideas into something they could agree on. The logical progression of artistic style from the genesis games. The agreement on storyline if there is any at all. Regardless, I'd still say go for it and jump any hurdles that come your way.

The first step is just brainstorming like people said before so if you could get that going and see if you have enough to work with and whether or not it would be worth the effort. I'd assume everyone here is brimming with their own fan ideas to creatively line the project. Don't know what else to say, wish I could help out on projects like this, though my skills are non-existent, but if I had any, my efforts would be yours lol

7. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    [​IMG]

If we're making this project, we must have some organisation plans. Here is a quick thing I had in mind.
    If we're having a subforum for that project, it has to be organised in a way like that scheme, I think

8. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this in the topic, but I wonder; if this project gets off the ground, it might want to wait until Sonic 2 HD is done so its developers can base this off its engine. It would be a whole lot easier than doing everything from the ground up.

I personally would vote for a continuation of S3K, featuring Knux/Tails and the Super/Hyper S/T/K thing. Being based off Sonic 2 HD, it could have new (and very detailed) sprites. However, in terms of music, I'd vote for less "real" instruments and something that sounds more like a Genesis-or-32X-generated tune in slightly higher quality. The style I'd really love would be like the stuff Quincy Jones did in the 80s when he worked with Michael Jackson; to me, Thriller (especially Baby Be Mine and Human Nature) felt like missing Sonic music. (Production-wise, I mean.)

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You're all doing it wrong.
    I would be an awesome project leader for Sonic 4, I have good ideas in my mind about how to organise this, with polls and whatnot, but we all know that's not going to happen. So I can save myself from writing a wall of text supporting my self-nomination because I know it would be ignored anyway. We know how it goes, I don't like Scarred Sun, and Scarred Sun doesn't like me, you all remember what happened when I offered to mirror Drx's protos, I barely managed to download them myself. I'm not one of the big wigs, people don't like me, etc.

Good luck Hivebrain and Jayextee, friend of everyone.

*waits for this to be trashed*

10. Matwek

Matwek

11. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    News to me. :v:

Back on topic, though, I think Phoebius' chart starts to raise the vital questions that need to be asked in regards to this.

12. Well, that's an important decision to be made. Saxman has offered ProSonic, so the advantage of going with the original specs is that a working engine is already there. The S2HD engine will certainly be general enough to run more than just S2HD someday, but I get the impression that people want to get this project moving or else it's likely never get anywhere.

13. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Well... I think ProSonic would be the best choice, and it could help to promote it, so...
    But that's my opinion

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'd use E02, personally, since it's the only engine out there that literally has perfect physics.

15. This brings up an important question. Did the physics engine evolve much over the course of the first three games? If it did then perhaps this project should improve upon the Sonic 3 physics (although I'm not sure what an "improvement" really is here).

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic 2 and 3's physics felt pretty similar. Sonic 1's physics felt a little different due to the speed cap.

17. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    Yeah, you're probably right. I looked up some of the ProSonic demonstrations on YouTube, and it stays really close (up until that ramp off the loop).

18. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Sonic 2 removed the ground speed cap, Sonic 3 removed the air speed cap.

Interesting to note that neither of them removed the awful 'rolljump' behaviour, but Sonic CD did.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    What was the rolljump behavior, exactly?

20. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.