don't click here

(OLD - ARCHIVE PURPOSE) Items, Menus, Title Cards & Misc Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Hitaxas, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siris

Siris

Artist/Designer Member
    Arizona
    Way too many...
    When you say double the animation frames, do you mean add more in-between transition frames or double the frames that are already there? I wasn't sure if the project was limited to the number of frames that existed in the original or if I could put in more frames for a smoother looking transition.

In any case, I'll be glad to do it. I'm thinking doubling the animation frames means more in-between transition frames, so I'll be working on that as well as cleaning up the animation to make it a little less jerky. Thanks for the support, I'm really liking this project environment. :)

Overlord: There are 4 keyframes to the animation, but each one last for 5 frames to slow it down a bit - The Sonic & Miles frames last for 30 frames or so. The original uses only 4 keyframes as well, so I modeled it after that.

2. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yes exactly.

Please note, finally each frame must be rasterized into pngs, so adding more than double of the original may be excessive! :)
    Besides we need to value it, so don't mind limitations now! ;)

3. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

rhymes with iguana Member
    Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    I decided to fix up that first Tails title screen frame a bit before moving on to the other frames:

[​IMG]

The middle one is the newest version, if you couldn't tell.

The main thing that's bothering me about it is the eye shines. I think they look pretty weird in the original sprite, and I'm not really sure how to HD-ify them. I tried basing them off the artwork for Tails, and I added little extra shines underneath, to not make them so plain. I dunno though, I think they could be better. Suggestions or corrections would be greatly appreciated.

4. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    I think the shine in the first one looks a lot better. If you think its too boring then definitely keep trying out improvements.

5. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

Forget the irregular edits, I usually use brush tool to make edits if no .AI or .PSD file is provided! :v:

-slight Rotated the pupils on left side
    -resized pupils to be a little smaller
    -Added only one spotlight shade (all artworks give Tails one spotlight)

If you provide me the vector files I can show you with better quality! ;)

6. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    [​IMG]

I followed Vincent's corrections, and I also added very faint shines under the main shines, for a bit of extra detail. I'm pretty happy with it now, so I'll upload it to the database if no one else has any corrections.

7. Siris

Siris

Artist/Designer Member
    Arizona
    Way too many...
    Hey Jonna, how do you do that kind of shading that follows the shape of the object so well? I'm working in Illustrator right now and trying to figure it out. Is it done with the pen tool one shape at a time, or do you copy shapes and then modify them with the pen tool?

I'd really like to know, as that style of shading that I've seen some people on this project using, looks really good.

8. Flare

Flare

Regarding the ending, personally I feel something more paint like.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Whoa, awesome! I definitely support that sort of art direction.

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
  11. kezzzs

kezzzs

[​IMG]
    Spent ages on this though I feel that I've probably wasted my time ;)

Incomplete BTW - if it's worth doing more work on then it can be cleaned a little

Edit:

[​IMG]

12. Flare

Flare

I don't like the style, it looks too much like the original just filtered or enlarged. It looks too pixelated. Just my opinion.

13. Siris

Siris

Artist/Designer Member
    Arizona
    Way too many...
    In reference to my earlier question, could anyone answer that? My question was: How is that style of shading done that SillyJonna used on Tails?

I can see that it uses multiple layers of a shape expanding outwards, or inwards, each lowering or increasing in value. But, are there any specific techniques that someone could refer me to? I've been trying to shade some of my artwork for the project like that, and while I can create the shapes easily enough, it takes a very long time and I'm wonder if there are any faster methods.

Also, regarding the Tails frames: I agree with Flare - the style kezzzs used looks too pixelated, too much like the original. It seems like you just painted over the original a bit and then used a filter, something like the 'Cutout' filter in PS. Not that your work is bad, but I think your efforts would be better spent doing something more original rather than trying to paint over the original art or retain it's pixelated look.

I like the style you applied to the line art design Flare, keeping the B&W feel of the image while using a touch of color really seems to bring out the emotion of the image.

14. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    Well, Siris, that's exactly how I do it. I don't use special techniques or anything, and it is rather time-consuming. I dunno, maybe there's a better way to do it with Illustrator, but I've just been using Photoshop for my vector work so far.

15. kezzzs

kezzzs

Points taken into account - I wasn't really happy with it

Done some more work:

[​IMG]

Bit happier but it's not great. I haven't used PS or used any filters.

Better or worse?

Edit:

[​IMG]

16. Siris

Siris

Artist/Designer Member
    Arizona
    Way too many...
    Haha, then I answered my own question. Vincent sent me the PSD file of your Tails painting and it was really clear to me that was how you did it.

I know of one method in Illustrator that can accomplish the effect very easily, but it doesn't seem to work with more complex shapes. With simple shapes, you just make the base underlying shape first and then you make the smallest shape overlying that. After that, you can use the Blend Tool and with it you can define how many in-between shapes there are and how they are oriented. Using the blend tool is as easy as clicking the first shape and then clicking the second shape.. I think it can also affect the path the in-between shapes take if you target specific areas of the base shapes.

kezzzs: That looks a lot better! One thing concerns me though. Someone has already redrawn that frame and done what I think is an excellent job. I'm not sure who it is.. but have you seen it? Are you trying suggest an improvement to the artistic style or what? I don't see a point in just recreating the pixel art when someone has already done a line art rendition of it. If your aim is to suggest an improvement, why not just use their line art?

17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Toot Toot Sonic Warrior should be the artist of this:
    [​IMG]

Please render it in clean vector format and upload it onto the Database! :colbert:

Everyone willing to remaster different versions of this, please post your new experiments in the Concept Art / Muckup Topic! ^^

18. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
  19. kezzzs

kezzzs

Looks great - much better than mine but can you make his eyes look upwards towards the sky?

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    You're right, it is a very, very clean version of it. Something about it just doesn't feel right to me though. Not to take away from your contribution Elratauru, but maybe it's got 'too' clean. The slight line imperfections in the previous version gave it quite a bit of character, I think. So far Flare's painted style has the most appeal for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.