don't click here

New Sonic 1 Alpha Screens Discovered

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by cornholio857, May 3, 2015.

1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Was any of the original Sonic team asked about that picture of Marble Zone if it's from a alpha build?

2. I'd be more than happy to host things and take heat if necessary.

3. Yeah, it definitely looks to be a mock up... but I'm hoping that this alpha Marble Zone & Dust Hill where in game at some point.

I remember reading in the old Dust Hill thread some years back that this was confirmed by the level artist (Brenda?) although my memory is a bit flaky.

4. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I have plans to fix the Hidden Palace situation, I've just been very busy with my personal life the past few years. If (and that is a big if) I ever find and dump a Sonic 1 proto that's different than final, this would not be a problem at all.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wouldn't just posting torrents of them be a good solution to any problem there may be with hosting those prototypes, anyway?

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Not like Retro's a stranger to shamelessly plugging prototypes and hosting them. :eng101:

7. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Dust Hill was designed for Sonic 2. Why would it be on the same build as an alpha version of Marble Zone?

8. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but she was just handed sprites from Sonic 1 for a mock up.

9. @Hez & qwertysonic

Sorry, I was pretty hungover when I posted that! I'll try and make sense of that post.

Looking back at the development of Sonic 2, and the possibility that Dust Hill was in game at some point and not just a mock up (I think this was confirmed by level artist Brenda in the old Dust Hill thread some years back, but memory is hazy... maybe someone with superior S2 knowledge can correct me on that, ICEknight perhaps?)

Hidden Palace was famous for it's mock ups. I'm hoping that because of Dust Hill & Hidden Palace in S2 that somewhere a Marble Zone based on the mock up graphics exists in an early build of Sonic 1 that's yet to be discovered.

Off topic: there's a hedgehog in my back garden making weird growling noises :v:

10. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    I recall an interview saying something about a unfinished zone, of either Genocide City or Dust Hill, which had a few objects scattered around. Maybe in the way of Wai's Mystic Cave. But just which interview completely evades me. Someone on the SOA side, I'm sure.

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    That was probably Tom Payne. His assets designed for Genocide/Cyber City Zone were created, then used in Sonic Spinball's The Machine level.

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Something I am very curious about here, is scanning. Are we not able to obtain a scan of these shots at a higher resolution? It seems from most of these shots, that the pixels are just see-able enough, that if we had a larger scan of them without lossy compression from JPEG or GIF, or the automatic "newspaper" dithering technique (I don't know the name of it), and with some specifically written tools. We might be able to generate an accurate pixelated rendition of these shots for further analysis. It may even help to narrow out which shots are mock ups and which are legitimates.

13. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Get him! He may have answers! :)

As for that MZ shot, there's too much difference to the final that it certainly screams "mock-up". Especially as Sonic is not centre and there's no HUD. Not to say that they never started to implement any art/objects seen in that shot.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't think anybody actually said that the level was ever implemented into the game, but I could also be wrong...

I do seem to remember that, when we met in Madrid, Tom Payne told me about how you could get a one-level build from their computers, when you needed to test something. Did Brenda ever get do that with some of her finished graphics? Who knows, but I don't think a test layout could even count as a playable in-game level anyway.

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I think the planned Genocide/Cyber City's layout was used for Metropolis Act 3, if I recall... but I don't know if the visuals were ever implemented.

You know what would be an awesome hack someone needs to do? Modify the Machine's visuals and reskin them on a tweaked version of Metropolis Act 3 as a one act level. Bam, that'd be as close to an authentic Cyber/Genocide City as we'll ever get.

16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    This is why Wood Zone is most likely just a test layout that got thrown into a build. By accident, who knows?

[quote name=HEDGESMFG' timestamp='1430925652' post='824871']
    You know what would be an awesome hack someone needs to do? Modify the Machine's visuals and reskin them on a tweaked version of Metropolis Act 3 as a one act level. Bam, that'd be as close to an authentic Cyber/Genocide City as we'll ever get.
    [/quote]

sshhhh......

17. Interesting, thanks for the info!

I would love to see some of these test levels. I bet Sega's archives is a treasure trove of hidden goodies... S1/2 mock up screens are really inspiring.

@Hez Wood Zone screams test level to me too. Dust Hill & other levels have to be out there somewhere, either on old Sonic Team hard drives or cartridge... I mean, why make all of a zone's assets for a few mock ups?

18. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Maybe they just wanted to troll future Sonic fans [​IMG]

19. RenyNoise

RenyNoise

Literally Swimming in Privilege Banned
    Looks like Eggman was gonna be using actual egg enemies at first. How fun.

20. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    This stuff just gives me blue balls.... I want more stuff so bad.

EDIT: Did I just find more?
    [​IMG]

EDIT2: Further examining them...they look fake