don't click here

Music

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I'm more than willing to contribute some music to this project but I've yet to see a final decision on the target format, not only for the music, but also for the system.
    Once some decisions are settled down, I'll whip up something for sure.

2. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    I don't know... for the same reason we're not making this game in 3D or in high def. Because Retro style is cooler, and that's what we wanted at first.

3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Really, we're at Sonic Retro because there's something about the Megadrive titles that still grips us. We can still play, and love. We want this shit to never end. But we don't want it to get sour either. ROM Hacks show us exactly what could have been done differently, P:SR shows us what we used to dream about playing afterwards.

This is pretty much my personal mission statement, don't know about anyone else. Apply this logic to fit the music, graphics, anything. There are really no limitations for us, except to keep things authentic. Keep them real. Keep them Retro.

<3

4. Yeah get the Retro thing in terms of graphics and gameplay, that makes sense. But that doesn't seem to fit in terms of music. I've got games from 1991 that use red book music and such so why put such a restriction on it?
    Not saying I haven't sat and listened to a vgm loop for hours on end, you know, just seems like a pointless shackle to clamp on.

5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    We can use red book audio, I see no reason not to, actually. Like I said, all sorts of sample can (and should) be used.

But, a bias slightly in the favour of 'retro' samples wouldn't hurt to keep things authentic, would it? :)

6. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    You can use MP3 quality or Megadrive synth but as long as it has a 1990s Sonic feel, then I'm satisfied

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  8. Holy crap I like that. I can just imagine this music in some sort of Metallic Madness level with shrink rays and other madcap obstacles.

9. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  11. Rokkan

Rokkan

muteKi, that's fucking awesome. But this isn't for the last Zone, is it? Because it feels too kiddy to be for a final zone, even though Act 2's guitars are fucking amazing. It feels like a Wacky Workbench kind of zone.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Right, that was kinda the idea. The final zone wouldn't be upbeat like this. I'm sure there'd be another factory/metropolis stage somewhere in the game besides there, though.

13. Kage-Kami

Kage-Kami

14. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
  15. Rokkan

Rokkan

Oh, good, it's because the name "Machine King" sounds just so suitable for a final Zone or a Eggman boss battle... Anyway, really awesome track, specially Act 2.

EDIT:
    Good melody, but it just sounds too much alike Spring Yard, and that other instrument you put gives too much a toon-ish feel. But it's a great start for a melody "sketch".

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    "Mystical Aural Downpour"

Yeah, I'd say this deprecates the old special stage theme that I came up with it. I prefer this by a long shot.

17. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I'm hearing Amen Break, half-borrowed "Get Blue Spheres" and obviously Magical Sound Shower here (Which might be a little too strong, that could just be me though). Not sure what I think -- it's a nice enough tune to listen to, but is it right for the job?

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, I wanted an OutRun remix since that seems to be the plan for the special stages now.

The problem is that they weren't the most exciting songs on the Genesis -- somewhere between Columns and Golden Axe.

19. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    I absolutly agree with this...
    But, we need a band for the job... I know a few bands that are on the verge of breaking into the music industry.
    I compose for them too. My own bands style is very on the level of Level 42, Sunscreem & Sonic CD.

I'd upload some stuff, but I need permission from everyone in the band(s)

20. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    Well, it's a great song, and, although it is an outrun-style mix, the strange thing about this song is that it sounds more like the original Spyro games for the PS1 (and kind of like the GBA ones) in the main verse sections, even down to the instruments you used and the intro for the organ. It's a lot different than the original, with only a few elements of your first song, and there's even some Angel Island Zone in there, I noticed. But, like you said, this one definitely isn't as exciting as other Sonic songs. An improvement that I would think of is, after the first chorus part in the middle of the song, change the chord structure from A-D-A-D to A-D-G-D (only in the third part of the song), even going so much as to go, maybe just once, from G to D in a chromatic scale.