don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Welcome back Mesmonium. Like Gambit said, Hill Top in particular is in need of a really polished piece if you're looking for suggestions.

2. FilBack

FilBack

Kinichie: It's nice to see your renditions evolving! :)

However, I agree with Maximus. The bass drum is way way too loud. I'm liking the other instruments more now, and the mix is a bit better...but I still think the percussion needs a lot of work.

I'm really digging the sax (is it?) at 00:09! Very musical and fitting. I think the contrast between the lead synth in the beggining and the flute is a bit too much. Î like the flute, but it doesn't really flow with the synth. My suggestion is find a flute or another instrument with a timbre that will fit better.

About the percussion:

I really am not liking the way you're mixing high quality samples with low quality ones like the claps. My suggestion is to try and keep everything in the high quality realm. I can't help you with where to get them as I am not used to programming midi. I'm a guitar player.

The kick drum isn't very fitting and it's too loud. You should go for a softer, more acoustic type of sound instead of this one which sounds too techno.

About the percussion. Someone said latin rhythms and I agree 100%. I really feel this is the original idea of the song. Think congas, bongos, a nice snare (very important), maracas, maybe a few crashes or high-hats...get it? (When you think about that stage itself, it does have that latin/aztec feel to it...) Listen to some Johannes Linstead for pointers.

That break at 00:32 really has to sound POWERFULL!

You're doing a good job and I think you'll get there soon!

Hey, those rhythms are great! The percussion is a good example for what Kinichie is doing! It does steer a bit too much away from the original, but it's very close to what I meant to say to Kinichie.

3. scubaSteve

scubaSteve

Sonic 2HD - Music Coordinator Member
    OH, US
    A quick search turned up a good list of sites here: http://musicbootcamp.com/drum-samples-and-music-loops/
    I would recommend SampleSwap (it's on the list) - registration is required but you can usually find a working user/pass on bugmenot. Also, if you're looking for acoustic drums, they're kind of hard to find (good ones, at least), and usually the best free ones are limited-time offers, so Google is your friend here. Electronic drum samples are pretty much everywhere though, especially from older drum machines.

4. Mesmonium

Mesmonium

London
    I'll try a Hilltop Zone then... I take it we want hillbilly sounds (harmonica and banjo) but was thinking of incorporating a bit of funk (slap bass, guitar, drums). Is this ok? Or just try and keep it Yokel? :)
    Also I don't have the internet available all the time so this may take a while.

5. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Try out whatever you want and we'll see how it turns out. We can always suggest alterations later if needed.

6. Kinichie

Kinichie

UK
    My latest attempt at Aquatic Ruin Zone, I been playing around with drum sounds, spoke to a friend who recommended some things to me and came out with this latest attempt.

In between when I was faffing around with drums and being generally annoyed with drums, I went and worked on another zone, namely Hill Top after reading there were not many good mixes for it. I just read now that someone else is going to do it but I wanted to share my take just to see how you think of it.

Here is both:

Aquatic Ruin Zone 5
    Hill Top Zone 1

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Do you use FL? You can have my HTZ FL zip file if you want so you can make your own version from that. If you want, I can bounce down some mixer states if there is anything you want from it if you don't have the right plugins for it.

8. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
  9. Mesmonium

Mesmonium

London
    I usually make the songs from scratch so I wont be able to use ur file I'm afraid. thanx though

10. Kinichie

Kinichie

UK
    Thanks Hamneggs. Just seeing if others think it good enough :)

While sitting around and messing with Cubase some more, I did the Final Boss theme.

Sonic 2 Final Boss

I am going to improve my version of Hill Top after listening to it a few times and thinking "nah, that needs work..."

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I can't believe I never posted this before: http://doulifee.com/prc/PrcSong/prc46/PRCv...ius_flytrap.mp3

It's a remix of Aquatic Ruin Zone by Rexy (from OcRemix, but not only). I think it's the best remix of Aquatic Ruin Zone EVER, and while it wouldn't fit in S2HD "as is", I absolutely love this and if you want I can contact Rexy and ask if she would be interested into making it suitable for S2HD by removing the intro and the variations.

12. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

I normally like Rexy's stuff. But that... not so much. The flute (recorder?) is flat out terrible. Just proof that anything that comes out of OCR is heavily subject to personally taste. The background instrumentals and haromy she used have potential though. I certainly wouldn't be against a serious attempt by her more in line with what we're after. Ask away.

13. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Now if we could combine 2:40-2:54 with Kinichie's rendition, and give the entire track the ambience of 3:17 to 3:45 we would have the best track proposed yet.

14. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    I'm not fond of most of OCRemixes besides a handful of remixers because for the most part they all sound too synthetic for my tastes. That remix sounds over saturated. I'm not feeling the recorder either, but it stands its own because it sounds authentic.
    For some reason it reminds me of the riff from SotN OST, The Tragic Prince. Riff from 0:25.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO34ixsNZaE

And Balrog's (Boxer) Theme:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj9o6Ed4NTc

Using Blanka's Theme instruments:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qCX_rfIjFM

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Having a go at mystic Cave Zone. There still work to be done and some sounds may be subject to change. Let me know what you think so far.

Mystic Cave Zone Rough mix

16. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

That's not bad at all for a rough mix. I like most of what I'm hearing.

-push the electric guitar into the background more, it's a tad overemphasized currently
    -The crescendo at 0:40 sounds dull, and the descending notes from 0:44 to 0:46 are even worse in that regard. Try putting a wha-wha on them, or if there already is one then increase it a good bit.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    It's not a guitar. It's just Sytrus. I'll have a go at using a wah wah over it however you use one I just don't know. What's a crescendo? I take it it's the pattern of the bass. What do you mean by it sounds dull? The way I fell about it it sounds raw. But I'm thinking about adding more bounce to it so it's on par with the original. If you could upload a sample with an idea on what you think would be best then please do.

Thanks.

18. Retroman

Retroman

This might be a good path for Aquatic Ruin Zone, though to be honest the flute and the drums are what really captures my idea of an HD sonic game. The bass needs to be retro bass sounding and the leads needs to be changed to a synth brass or something similar. Claps should be used instead, and yes abit of a mix between maybe what ham&eggs proposed then it would be awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKv8Ytb0AxE...feature=related

If anyone can contact this guy, and possibly give details of what instruments he used to make it would be great!

19. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Sytrus eh? I'll remember that, it's a new one to me.

I misspoke, it's not crescendo, which is a gradual increase in volume over a set period; I was referring to the set of ascending notes in that timeframe. Nothing to do with the bass at all. I think that adding the wah-wah will help quite a bit to overcome the dullness I hear in it. The notes on their own have very little character to them, so either my suggestion or another creative outlet of your own would greatly help it out.

20. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Ahhh your on about a more natural flow or character of that Sytrus sound. Yes I completely agree. At that point it's just a rough draft. I need to really fine tweak the MIDI notes as that Sytrus lead uses an LFO pitch. It has sounded very awkward with adding slides as they conflict with the pitch LFO. I will even give it ago with a LP filter and try out a wah-wah.

Oh and that Sytrus is an FM synth if you wanted to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.