don't click here

Master System is 25 years old today

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Wesker, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    There are 4 US exclusives, including two 2-game multicarts. There are also 6 US+Brazil exclusives.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Remember most games had the FM code removed from the overseas releases. You'll need to get the Japanese variants of those games.

3. If you need help obtaining the exclusives, let me know. I have a feeling the two-game carts you're referring to are easy as can be to obtain.

4. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

I have fond memories of playing this back in the 90's.

Especially this game!

5. Wesker

Wesker

This only happened with two games: Phantasy Star and Ys: The Vanished Omens.

The rest of games all kept the FM music code in their western releases.

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Weird, I would swear there were more. I'll have to recheck, I guess.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There's exclusives in South Korea too.

Granted their legality isn't all that clear but there's still some interesting games in that area

8. Is there some page I can read about the TecToy and South Korea releases? I would love to see screenshots and info.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  10. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    There's quite a few EU Exclusives (Headhunter, Rez, and Shemue II are the first to come to mind), and there'a a fuckton of Japanese exclusives. Not counting region copies and homebrew, I've got 400+ unique games for the DC, and I'm nowhere near 100% complete.

11. You must have read what I asked and imagined there was drool sliding down my chin as I typed that. No, everything on Retro except for the forums are blocked so I need an alternative that perhaps my work's filter hasn't caught yet.
    That was my fault for forming that sentence terribly. Yeah, I have what I like to call the main four exclusives (Rez, Headhunter, Shenmue II, and Evil Twin) but I want to work on getting the other ones. I hear that Taxi 2 game is insanely hard to find. (Speaking of which if any Retro'er wants to help me find some exclusive PAL games for DC, let me know)

At any rate, I meant for my next project of collecting every Master System game. My bad on that.

12. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Unfortunately you can't stick a western game in a Japanese Master System. There are adapters, but they're pretty rare.

Very difficult to find though.

13. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I love the Master System. It was my first console ever. Still have mine too.

14. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

15. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    The first time I saw one in person was during my senior year in high school. My best friend brought his Master System to play at the A/V club and speech team meetings after school. It's definitely playable, but the base of the console is pretty busted, missing some plastic in one corner. One time, he used the console and controllers as weights for a mobile project in physics class (Thank god his mobile was sturdy, but it was the coolest of all of the mobiles). =P I think he only has two or three games for the system; I know he has Rampage and Shinobi, and I think I saw an Alex Kidd cartridge one time. I'm thinking of getting him some more Master System games someday; I know a place that sells a bunch of old Sega console games.

In all, it's pretty neat to see a playable Master System in person these days. :)

16. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I was a NES/FC kid for like 6 years, having played ~400 games on it, and then one day in 1999 my dad got us a SMS2 with sonic in it and James bond 007 cart, I was completely blown away, so colorful, so fast. Everything but the sound kicked NES/FC ass. It took me a while to beat both games