don't click here

Levels & Items Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I think it's a step in the right direction but I'm not completely sold on it.

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I'm liking the lever portion of the see-saw, and the pivot is definitely improving, but the post propping it up needs some serious work. Everything else has a clean look to it, while the post looks grungy. Not a good fit. Try a couple variations on a reflective finish—one mirrored, one more subdued. Also, try playing around more with the center of the pivot. The original may be bland, but I'm sure you can come up with something a little more eye-catching.

3. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Tweedledum and Tweedledee SAW it, can you SEE it?

[​IMG]

4. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, I kinda like that. The post is still bugging me, though.

5. It looks like a green lollipop! Actually, if there are spare frames this might be a good animation to make smoother. I don't know what the current policy on extra frames is, but I get the feeling that restricting the animated objects to their original number of frames is going to look rather low-def in the final product. The higher resolution tends to highlight the discrete frames.

6. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, we'll add more frames in there. He can just leave it like that for now, though.

7. test-object

test-object

Pole is fixed. Is this a wrap-up? Cause I sure am keen.

[​IMG]

8. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    I think the only reason you think that is because the object is out of context. If you had the animation of Sonic running back and forth on there you really wouldn't care that is only had 3 frames. Plus when you jump on them, it moves so fast that it isn't a big deal.

9. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    It'd still be kinda cool if the seesaw did rotate, even quickly at that. It's like this: when Sonic jumps/walks to the higher point of the seesaw, that part snaps downward. It'd still rotate; it'd just be doing it really quickly, while still being a noticeable change.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

It's a good idea, and one we've been looking into. Seeing the swirl on the pivot got me thinking. We could have that part animated to rotate in each direction depending on which end is down. Just an idea for the time being, but it's the little things like that that tend to add character to a zone.

11. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I never did figure out that riddle in AA.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of the swirl. It looks cool enough, but it's rather distracting.

Also, if it rotates, you'll need to draw individual frames of animation for each position, you can't just use software rotation. Otherwise, the light source will change when it rotates.

12. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    I don't see any superior alternatives to the swirl, and, if I am correct, Test-Object rendered this in 3-D, thus a rotation of the swirl

will be merely a simple rotation of the face of the disk. His lighting methods would take care of the rest. Of course, something like

the CNZ bumper wouldn't be too bad either...

13. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    SEE-SAW. It was very close to the main gate if Im not wrong =P

...It wasnt made in PS? I thought that he didnt rendered it in 3D...

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You two took the words out of my fingers. Too lolrandom, like sticking a smily in there.

That would make no sense, since the green part is supposed to be fixed to the post.
    [​IMG]

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I don't like the swirl either. It's very out of place.

16. test-object

test-object

There seems to be quite some confusion over this relatively simple design.

This is made in Photoshop. The curl will not spin as it is fixed on the pole (see picture above).
    Lastly: what DO you people want, a simple bevelled circle or something with a bit more charm? It's hard to come up with something for a zone as dull and recycled as Hill Top. You got any ideas?

[​IMG]

17. I'm for the swirl, I know it's a very liberal dose of artistic flare, but, YES, HillTop is fairly plain. Also, the swirl is sort of similar to the vine on the swing, so it's not out of place.

18. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
  19. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Now that's what I call a point!

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

You're not really going to go on about what physically makes sense in a Sonic game are you? This is about what has visual flare, not how real-world mechanics can be applied to it. I understand that you aren't thrilled with it, but like T.O. has said, give him something to work with. Describe what you'd like to see done with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.