don't click here

Let's argue about models and designs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Azookara, May 15, 2010.

1. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Here's the Chaotix sticker image for people who don't feel like registering/signing back into an inactive profile like I just did.

2. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Cheese has a mouth, and it's a cute little smiley-face. It's hard to see it through that blurtastic image quality, but it's there.

3. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I hadn't noticed they had changed the horn colour on Espio's backs. The assets DVD artwork has it though. I like it.

4. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Yeah, Espio had the green in his palette replaced with purple, while he himself has become more of a magenta color

5. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    Holy stuff they look heaps awesome.
    @Solaris Paradox: I see it now, it does look heaps cute. <3

Wait, these pics are on the art assets DVD?

6. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Nope. They've never been seen before (definitly not the Cream one, anyway). These surfaced the recently published UK-only Sonic Sticker Collection.

Note also new Amy artwork:

[​IMG]

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Is it sad that I find that model oddly awesome?

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    People have been posting bad examples. Here's a better one. As a rule of thumb, pretty much any CG meant to be of an animate object that was made before about 1997 is essentially guaranteed to be pretty ugly, the medium hadn't really developed to where it was even possible to make it good. Even in Toy Story, the humans and animals were creepy and weren't shown on screen often.

9. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    It's so nice to see Sega giving their female lead character development and personality traits beyond being a tsundere hopelessly in love with Sonic.

10. dsrb

dsrb

> teen-girl-FaceSpace love sign
    > macho-man pose
    > Nike smile
    Shifting towards the "AARGH GREEN EYES" camp here.

It's probably been said by many others, but this is why I prefer how Nintendo handle Mario (and probably prefer his newer games): They don't try to make him look 'cool' or 'badass'*, and he barely speaks (and sounds less annoying and like a tryhard when he does).

* In fact, SMG2's cover and Bee Mario kinda make him look like MR GAY :v:

11. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Hey you hyper Sonic fans out there! Have you ever come across the Sonic 3's title screen's Sonic model in high color before? (Yes the balloon head Sonic)

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I have no idea what you're getting to when you say that. are you suggesting that you have a copy of the model? :3

13. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Indeed. I must admit that Amy looks so adorable there :3~~

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    no but do share your awesomes if you have anything :v:

15. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Well, uh, I did, in Sonic 3D Blast Saturn intro and endings...

As well as Sonic Jam...

Just saying. =P

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Although I'm answering again (lol), please if you have the model do what Diablohead said please show us some awesome. :3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They don't look the same to me. Well the top two look pretty similar but I can still tell they're different. I'm not sure how you guessed the Sonic R/Jam one to be the same though..

17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I know I know, I'm poking a dead stick with a horse, but I am not trying to bitch about the design change. I just simply want to ask why. I've pondered this for some time while wasting time at work. Why the change? You can keep blowing smoke up my ass and say it's to appeal to the new generation of kids. I will probably agree, but at times it makes no sense. I have came up with this shitty picture to somewhat explain what I'm trying to say...

[​IMG]

Yes...I used cereal box characters, get over it.
    Anyways, to simply put it. All of these characters never went through drastic changes. Yet, they still appeal to all of us and have a special place in our hearts. I'll start off with the captain. Take a look at this old school design, then look at the newest design I could find. See this transition? NOTHING WAS CHANGED DRASTICALLY. He still has his same exact color, same facial expression, and almost a near identical coat. The only changes made were that there were buttons added, and his eyebrows were lifted. The sword also seems to have disappeared. One thing I will give you, OMG BLUE EYES. This is the only case I will allow this to happen. He looks more human. Also, as you can see, he is not in any gangsta positions trying to PIMP OUT YOU CEREALS FO SHO.
    I move on...to the count. The only big difference with him would be more detailing. He also appears to have had a nose job...and a chin job. Again, subtle changes over time that were welcomed.

Now I get to my biggest, and probably best case. Mickey Mouse. If I can point out anything, he hasn't changed one fucking bit. The only major difference, besides color, would be that whites have been added to his eyes. Which in my opinion, look good. Donald Duck has had some drastic changes as well, but nothing too far from what he was.

My last, and possibly favorite example is going to be BuzzBee. He almost looks identical to what he was...and yet, he was changed pretty drastically. His stripes were made larger, antennas have been changed completely, and shoes even lost detail. Yet, he looks damn good. sooo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What the fuck? Who in their right minds down at SOJ decided to say "Hey, we got somethin really good going for us....LETS FUCK IT UP!!!" If anyone does there history, they can pretty much see drastic changes in characters lead to uproars of failure. I don't want to get into an argument of which version of Sonic is better, I simply want to know what feasible reason there was for such a dramatic change.

Again...I don't want to start a flame war, I simply want opinions of why someone would do such a thing.

18. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    That was more likely an SoA decision than a SoJ one.

19. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    ..am I the only one not living within the years 1999-2001? Sonic doesn't fucking look like that anymore, he's not a lanky prick with a Nike smile, soap shoes, bigass spikes, and just a dopey doofus look anymore, his look in the new games is esscentially that of the classic one but with green eyes and slightly longer features as to make his easier to animate in 3D, much like Mario's design change.

[​IMG]

OH MAN LOOK AT THAT EDGY SELLOUT THE HEDGEHOG, HE'S SO ANGRY AND COCKY LOOKING WHY CAN'T HE LOOK LIKE HIS OLD SELF ANYMORE

[​IMG]

Oh wait.

20. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Either way, I want know what reasons they had for doing it.

EDIT: aaand some cock bag looks like they missed the point of this topic. I asked why for the change, not LOL HE LOOKS GOOD NOW STFU

EDIT2: "but I am not trying to bitch about the design change." just incase you didn't read