don't click here

In Three Years...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by PC2, Aug 21, 2008.

1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Actually they'd be the guys I'd be most willing to license development to, honestly.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    OK, point, but Ulala for DC? Really? Though I am having difficulty thinking of another noteworthy Sega DC character as a mascot.... Ryu? Samba de Amigo? Ai Ai? =P

3. Rokkan

Rokkan

Pretty much this.
    Also, the majority of Sonic's movements and animations on Brawl are based upon Classic Sonic, and Sakurai is the father of Kirby, developed Kirby's Adventure and Kirby SuperStar, both fucking rad games. So if I were to give Sonic to someone it would be him. But if it were for a whole enterprise, it would be Namco. Even though they did relax on the Klonoa remake. Seriously Namco, only 4 fucking polygons for Klonoa's hat?!

4. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Wow, talk about a major kick in the ass for this topic

5. Super Klonoa

Super Klonoa

'Cause Super Sonic and the Super Saiyans ain't eno Oldbie
    Gah, now you got me posting in here. >_>

Well, I don't know about you guys...but I don't think Sonic will die off anytime soon, even if he had a few "bad" games. There'll always be kids who'll buy anything Sonic-branded these days.

But if SEGA does decide to stop working on Sonic, or they go bankrupt (which is unlikely), then yes, sell the franchise to Namco. Only then will I finally have my Sonic/Klonoa crossover. >_>; lol

As far as gimmicks in Sonic go, well, I didn't mind all of them, really. It's just that, IMHO, people are just stuck in the past waiting for the next S3&K to come and give them glory... Well, I'll say the same thing here as I've said on the Klonoa Fan Club today: people should just accept what SEGA is doing with Sonic and move on. Same with Namco and Klonoa.

6. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Sonic will probably be even more dead or lamer then he is now. SEGA clearly doesn't give a fuck anymore about the blue hedgehog and Simon Jeffery CLEARLY hates him.

I hope they sell the rights to Sonic soon to someone who knows how to make the franchise a success. I'd be completely up for Miyamoto or Sakurai taking the reigns indefinitely.

HOWEVER, I do see a shitload of Sonic merchandise at my mall in a lot of stores. Lots of Sonic shirts and old dolls promoting his golden Genesis days. If anything SEGA should promote Sonic as the most retro 90's styled icon in the industry as his permanent personality. Just simple game play and nothing too over the top or hip looking like his tall green eyes counterpart, the nostalgia is one of the only reasons Sonic is still holding onto a thread of life besides the financial aspects. I really don't understand how SEGA can say classic Sonic doesn't sell, I've heard and seen the exact opposite, and people actually HATE what Sonic has become.

7. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    So I guess that new sonic unleashed game that everyone is praising doesn't exist to you? And why are you blaming simon jeffery. He has no control over sonic's games. Or the voices, which he stated several times in a TSS interview.

Not gonna happen anytime in the next millenium.

Because this is 2008. This isn't the 90's anymore. If they stuck to the 90's, they'd only be pleasing hardcore fans that are in their 20's. Things change, buisness changes, team members change, and sonic continues to stay strong and sell well.
    Besides, the new style of sonic with his green eyes and all, has been adored by many since sonic adventure. It gives him a unique style of cool and attitude.

8. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

He's an annoying fuck, with a creepy ass "I just fucked your mom" smile. That is not cool attitude.

Classic Sonic is the ONLY reason Sega can still make money off Sonic. If it wasn't for that, hardly no one would play the games.

And honestly, classic Sonic is way more popular. I showed some 5th graders new Sonic, and classic Sonic, they all liked classic Sonic better. His new style is a mutated freak.

9. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I always felt the new Sonic tries WAY too hard to be cool and hip. The classic Sonic was just simple in design and he was something completely new that attracted a lot of people to like him.

Plus, he looks like more of a, I dunno, a hedgehog? Isn't that what Sonic is supposed to be? Not some tall lanky looking furry, and as mentioned above a really creepy looking smile. I hated new Sonic since Adventure, but I stayed with it because the Adventure games were great. After Heroes, Shadow, and 06, I completely detest the change.

Plus he doesn't even spin anymore, and that has always been one of Sonic's biggest trademarks. Now he just runs and runs and runs and runs. Pretty boring. Not to mention the stereotypical grinding they put in the games to accustom to the skaters at the time to justify Sonic's "rad" new appearance. That never worked for me ever.

10. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    The new sonic was re-designed to appeal to a newer generation.
    For example, back then, I wasn't really that fond of sonic on genesis. I knew about him and his genesis titles, and I played a little over a friends house. But I never really was hooked.
    But when Sonic Adventure for the dreamcast was revealed in magazines and I looked at sonic's new design, I actually wanted to really play the game.
    That's the thing sonic team was aiming for when they redesigned him. To attract newer people who thought they'd never play a sonic game.
    Not only that, but the change in style of music (rock) was also aimed in attracting a newer crowd.

I honestly don't know how you can detest grinding either. I mean. That's a staple. It's better than just running and spinning. It created a new, fresher gamplay perspective. Especially to those who first got into sonic with sonic adventure 2 battle, like me. I liked how they implemented the idea of balancing yourself on the rail as you make turns. It felt realistic and just cool for a character like sonic to do. It helped show off his personality. (young and energetic) It makes sense for someone with those traites to grind. Unfortunatley sonic team's programmers got lazy after that game, and made grinding much too easy and not as intense.

I'm not saying I don't like sonic's classic design, but his adventure design was a key factor in attracting newer people to the adventure experience.

11. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Three years from now, Sonic's decline to irrelevancy will be even more evident. He's already vanishing from gamers' collective consciousness, and there's other guys doing the "mascot with attitude" gimmick and packing better quality. Sonic Unleashed is not going to revert the process.

12. Insert Coin(s)

Insert Coin(s)

Broletariat Member
    ???
    IT
    Define "praising."

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Now you're sounding like Simon Jeffry.

An example of Sonic Adventure's "Rock" soundtrack. And another one. There were songs in the soundtrack that I would consider rock, but they were in the minority. Adding to that, how would attracting new fans enhance the experience for old ones? (aka, me)
    You mean sitting there and waiting for the rail to end?
    The way they implimented in in SA2 makes no sense, it's simply scripted so that he leans to one side or the other when he's on a given section of rail, and you have to compensate for it.
    In Sonic Adventure 1, his in game model didn't match the associated artwork, and I think the game was better for it. In Sonic Adventure 2, he did match it, and it was hideous. His head looks misshapen due to his exaggerated brow, his mouth was horrible animated as well. The new design was created with having an outline in mind, but take that away, and it falls apart. Adding to that, the way all his quills wobbled in sync made them look... fleshy. The new design has been mostly cleaned up, though. Regardless of whether it's good or not, there are way to many connotations attached to the new design.

14. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    Fans really love Sonic Unleashed.

......What are you saying? That the grinding is boring?

No sense??? It makes perfect sense. The physics are implemented very well. You have to compensate for the balancing b/c it's realistic and at least somewhat challenging.

Due to the polygon budget, which is why they re-modeled them in the DX version

That's funny, b/c I've always thought his SA2 model was clearly the most stylistic. The outline is for the official art. You don't put an outline in the actual game model, otherwise it would look like that jet grind radio style. And I don't think sonic would do good in cel shading. The in-game model is a more realistic representation of the Adventure official artwork. And it's supposed to be that way. Yuji Uekawa was the one who modeled the in-game model and drew the artwork for that game. He didn't add the outline to the model b/c he's experienced and he knew it would look out of shape.
    And sonic's quills are supposed to wobble. They aren't stiff. It at least it makes the model look more allive.

15. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Um, yeah. We've been down this road before. Truth is, Sonic fans don't know s#$% about what SEGA will do next, or how to influence them to change their ways. So bickering about individual viewpoints? That gets nothing done.

Please cut out all the "Oh yeah? YOUR VIEWPOINT SUCKS. MINE is perfect." "Oh yeah? YOU SUCK!" style posts...

...before the entire topic joins a number of bad Sonic games in the trash bin.

16. UCHU

UCHU

For some reason, I always thought that a Sonic/Darius Gaiden crossover would be awesome. I don't know how it would work, though. =E

17. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

You don't have to do a damn thing. Just hold down the B button, and he goes down the rail just fine, I've never balanced him, and he's never fell off a rail for me.

18. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    He slows down if you hold down the 'B' button while turning, but that's about it.

19. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    The moderator said to stop arguing about which side or opinion is better.
    But I just want to say that holding the B button alone will not in fact be fine. Especially for first timers. I've seen living proof of that, I can tell you. I don't get you guys. It's as if you don't want there to be grinding at all.
    In Three Years, do you expect sonic to be so simplistic?
    That's a good question. Imagine a sonic game without grinding or any mechanics that you think "don't suit sonic". Just running and jumping.
    Would it be fun?........yes, but would it be enough to satisfy players out there, who want more from the core gameplay.

20. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    No, we don't want grinding.

We don't expect it to, but it would be nice.

Look at Mega Man 9. It seems to be popular, despite it being "simple." I sincerely hope Sonic Team makes a Sonic 4 of some sort, one day.