don't click here

Hyenas is dead

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Sep 28, 2023.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    https://www.eurogamer.net/sega-has-cancelled-hyenas

Hyenas, the "looter shooter" from Creative Assembly has been axed because... well.

It's an interesting test for Sega Retro - I have access to Sega's press server (it's shockingly easy - you basically just need to ask) and am about to upload as much Hyenas content as possible, should it mysteriously disappear in the coming days.

The problem is that there are many gigabytes of video files which I don't have the time to deal with, and some exceed the size limits of Retro CDN's uploader. So yeah, that's a thing.

Coming soon:

Sega Retro: The best Hyenas source online. Maybe.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    It really just came far too late to make any meaningful impression. Hell, we didn't even have a topic for it as far as I can tell. I don't play games in the genre, but I couldn't really tell who it was aimed at. Lawbreakers, Battleborn, Chroma; really just shows it's mostly timing and marketing of what players pick up. What really sucks is the apparent liquidation of the entire staff. Between this and Sega Forever going dark, the European division is in for some dark times.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Hyenas - ding

For what it's worth, Two Point Hospital has had me hooked for weeks, and is almost certainly going to be my "game of the year not necessarily released this year, 2023". Very quiet coverage on that one* (and Two Point Campus, which I'm hoping gets a physical "jumbo edition" at some point), which isn't deserved.

*even Sega Retro's coverage was just "this is a game that exists" until a couple of days ago.

4. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    If it means much, I have heard conflicting things on Forever and its future. Despite things looking bleak right now, it might actually be more secure and come back one day in at least some shape or form. But if you're one of Sega Europe's bigger studios (Relic, CA, even possibly Amplitude)... this is not your year.

Did you know that Hyenas and CA have been part funded by the UK government? I didn't until today. Money well spent.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  5. aria

aria

day dawns Member
    chaotix
    There was a public beta test client which we should try to preserve if anyone still has access to the files.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
  6. Forgot this existed. Things must have been bad for it to not even be worth releasing. Did anyone here get to try it?

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It just ended its beta test last week. Everybody seemed happy and then EVERYBODY found out it was canceled today with Sega's press release.

8. aria

aria

day dawns Member
    chaotix
    Spoke to someone on discord who played it a while ago and they had nothing but great things to say about it so I was rather surprised to see it was dead this morning.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    This is the first I've heard of any of this! The first time I read about the cancelation I thought it was a shitpost. Like "Google gave a million dollars to the shweeb" or "Bibme is now part of chegg"

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
  10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Now that I've basically finished our Hyenas page...

How? I look at the media portal and they want a name and a company.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I might have put Sega Retro as a company - it was a while ago. It took a couple of days to process but then they gave me the keys.