don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jebusman

Jebusman

Canada
    So you don't like the idea of labeling your work as either a serious candidate for being included, or just a mockup of an idea for a serious candidate?

And I thought Vectors weren't required for everything.

Wait, so no stick at all? Just this huge green rock but transparent. I know we're supposed to have fun with it but is that going "too" far from the original idea?

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    If someone can't be bothered to label things for organization's sake, I can't be bothered to find reasons to keep them around for input. Grow up.

Zemulii, that's quite the concept you've got. Definitely the unexpected art I was hoping for, but as has already been noted, in it's current shading it really doesn't fit with the rest of the artwork. And given there isn't anything else in the zone that uses an uncut gem/rock theme, I'm grasping at strings to find ways it could be successfully included. I like the design, but it seems like it would be far more fitting once we get around to HPZ than in doing HTZ. Did you have any other ideas for the seesaw?

3. zemulii

zemulii

Yeah I did think of that (being more fitting in HPZ) while I was working on it, so I'm sure I could adapt it at some point for something or other at least. Still trying to think up some more ideas! Actually that rock was going to be an actual rock at first (a bit like the other in the zone I was hoping). But it didn't turn out that way so I kept it green and shaded it as an emerald :P.

I'm not so sure about extending it all the was down the post, but that did make me think of possibly adding little crystal fragments/shards around it (the post). But then, it's probably not really necessary at this point. I might leave this one and try and come up with something else if I can. If not I may just polish up the seesaw part a bit (for completeness' sake).

4. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Since MDM has come up with very fitting ideas for the seesaw itself and the pivot has also seen improvements along the way, I'd recommend seeing if you can come up with a way to make the post they rest on less bland.

5. Now that I am aware we don't have to use vector...I wanted to take a slightly different approach to the gate. I didn't add the lights/lava because I wanted to see what people thought of it thus far. So...?

[​IMG]

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    First of all, I just want you to know that I love you. I've been killing myself trying to figure out a good way to do that door, and that is most definitely a good start.

Right now, the design is great, but it seems like gradient overkill. I'm not really sure how to put this in a more constructive way but, can you fix that?

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I like that concept. You have given it a great industrial look.

8. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    I like that concept, subsubstantive.

As a potential suggestion, I wonder if it might look better with longer links for the left half (I'm interpreting it as something similar to a bicycle chain). With proper proportioning, it would look more similar to the original. I'm not sure if that would be better or worse, however, but it's a potential direction.

I ask this with honesty and the purest of intentions: It's round metal. Could it look any different?

9. zemulii

zemulii

I'd also like to see them a bit longer for comparison. Maybe something similar to this? (from side on)

[​IMG]

Edit: I don't know if that's actually much longer :P... Hard to tell from this angle (I'm sure you'll know what looks "right" anyway).

I'm definitely having trouble thinking up anything for the seesaw post. Hope other people are thinking about it too. Because you wouldn't want anything too out there. I guess it just needs some sort of little detail.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Well, first off, the metal isn't round, it's more gold brick like.

Second, now that my brain isn't trying to escape from my skull, I can elaborate on what I meant. Since every single segment has the same exact gradient, it looks off. There is nothing to account for the actual light source. Yes, the original has the exact same thing, but blown up 4x resolution, the error is noticeable there also. I think some variance is in order.

It might even be better for a 3D modeler to take a crack at this. Modeling would be a breeze, the trick would be in the lighting.

Also, the bar on the right of the door doesn't look like it is connected in any way to the door itself. That's what makes that part look like a simple gradient also.

11. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    I don't like subsubstantive concept at all.
    I can't see that design as anything other than a metal watch band. They use the same exact design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    ^
    That's the first thing I thought of too. I think it's too different from the original.

13. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Ok, here's a sad resizing of subsubstantive's door. This gives a rough idea of what it would look like with longer links and thinner outer pieces to more closely match the original art:

[​IMG]

...And look slightly less like a watch band =P

I think if there was a bit more contrast between the metal colors, this door could look pretty nice.

14. I think that looks better. I did get the idea from a watch band, but I don't think that makes it bad, I mean the same argument could be made that the original looks like a metal band also. I thought the extra pieces made it look stronger, and more advanced then a few simple plates.

15. zemulii

zemulii

Neither do I. Lots of things look similar to other things. That's no reason not to use them. I think it's a good idea.

16. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Seconded. It makes sense in a way I can't explain.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Agreed. The gradients could be tweaked a bit more for variety, but the longer links gets rid of most of the "gradient overkill" effect.

18. [​IMG]

Do we have any inivative ideas for the lights?

A single pressure gauge, that ticks into the red might be cool, indicating a tight seal...

[​IMG]

19. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Look man, these are all concepts. There, I just organized everything. And what's been agreed upon as final? Edit the first post of this thread to show what objects no longer need to be worked on. There, now I just gave a place where people can see both the stuff being used in the final and links that show what sprite objects need to be expanded, worked on, etc.

Any more than that and it's just going to become unnecessarily cluttered.

20. dsrb

dsrb

Not that my opinion holds much sway, but I'm not a fan of that concept either. Granted, the original doesn't look very much like a door, but this one even less so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.