don't click here

High Quality GBA OSTs (Technically...)

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Tanks, Sep 21, 2012.

1. A friend asked if Final Fantasy IV Advance could benefit from GBAmusRiper. Could anyone give it a shot?

2. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    Compared to the way it sounds on the GBA, yes, it does benefit. However, I'd still rather listen to the original SNES version. The GBA version uses multiple samples for some instruments and the difference between them can be a bit jarring (the harp in FF4 Main Theme is a good example of this), and some tracks use the Game Boy's PSG channels. That's just my thoughts on the matter, though, feel free to try it yourself and see what you think.

3. This may sound stupid, but has anybody tried listening to a song from one game while using a soundfont generated from a completely different game? I forgot to set up the soundfont for a Battle Network song, using the default one for my computer instead, and I was surprised how different it sounded.

Any particular combinations that sound interesting?

4. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    I tried that for shits and giggles, but not even games with virtually the same soundset (like the Sonic Advance games) line up very well so you end up with some Giygas-tier nightmare fuel. :P

5. I would love it if someone attempted this on the two GBA Golden Sun games, just so see if it'd benefit them.

Also, listening to the Mega Man Zero soundtrack this way is trippy as fuck. I actually had to wrack my brain to place songs with their correct stages.

6. RedMetallix

RedMetallix

Supreme Thunder Member
    A desk.
    What? Don't be silly.
    I mentioned a few earlier.

Super Mario Advance's Wart Theme with Link to the Past's Soundfont.
    Sonic Advance 1's Snow Mountain 1 with Kirby and the Amazing Mirror's Soundfont (Nightmare in Dreamland won't work)
    Mother 1&2 Kraken fight with Amazing Mirror's Soundfont almost sounds like something out of Donkey Kong Country.
    Mother 1&2 Onett sounds pretty fucking demonic with Super Mario Advance's Soundfont.

7. kuroshi

kuroshi

Riverside, CA, US
    foobar2000 components, many related to emulation; Cog, an audio player for Mac OS X
    I have updated foo_midi to automatically load SoundFont banks named after the directory containing a given MIDI file. This way, you may unpack the SF2/MID sets and keep the SF2 named after the directory, and it will load when playing any MIDI file in that directory.

Be sure to select the BASSMIDI driver from the configuration page first, though. You may also need to configure a default SoundFont bank or list as well, which you should simply set to your preferred General MIDI set, for playing back MIDI files which do not have any accompanying custom banks.

8. Tanks

Tanks

I... I think a tear just rolled down my cheek...

9. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Is there any chance that this program will work for Sword of Mana? I'm not familiar with the way GBA soundtracks work, so I don't know what is and isn't doable.

10. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    That game happens to be one of the few that doesn't work.

11. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Got a request, if anyone can rip Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red. Excellent music in that game and I'd like to have the sound effects.

12. Tanks

Tanks

Gotcha' covered

Also I'm taking JRok's adice from now on. Best to split to the soundfonts and avoid channel 10. I'll be fixing them to fit those standards and also make sure they work with the new foo_midi update.

13. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Thanks Tanks (lol what) you're the best.

14. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    If you would please rip Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories that would be very swell. It's always hard listening to the buzzing noise in the GSF rip that I have. Yes, I'm aware of Re:COM but some songs just sound better to me on GBA.

15. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    oh my god
    im just listening to Great Canyon (soundbank 0 song 020) and
    im
    im just having a lot of emotions right now
    please excuse me ;_;

16. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    This is a bit unrelated, but there is a hack for FFIV Advance to restore the original audio:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/969/

I have not tried it, but the hacks for the other 2 SNES era GBA ports were rather popular so I'd expect it to at least be an improvement over the original.

17. I wrote a batch file that will loop through all folders in the current directory and rename them according to the SF2 file. You may want to put it in system32 or another PATH directory and run it for each set. It should save you some time and effort.

18. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I have a request, though I doubt this game uses the Sappy sounddriver but I guess it couldn't hurt to ask, could someone rip the music from Teen Titans 2? I would love to do it myself, but I can't even seem to find a good dump of the game. I know it exists somewhere online, I had a copy of the ROM at one point but there's only bad dumps circling around on the sites I've been to. :\

19. Something isn't working right anymore. The first time I ran the player, it all worked just fine. This would be the second time. I didn't change any settings, but it refused to play any of the music files. I tried updating the MIDI component, and it worked properly. However, it refused to let me change the soundfont. No matter what I changed the soundfont to, it continued to play the version that came with each song. The next thing I tried was moving the soundfont files into their own folder, figuring it was using the folder to find the soundfont. Now it refuses to play anything, claiming that there's an error with decoding or the file is corrupted.

How do I fix this? I want to listen to the songs with different soundfonts than what they came with, and as a result, nothing works at all.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Check the name of the currently selected soundfont. If it's been renamed (and thus the program can't find it), it gives that error for some reason.