don't click here

Hai guys. I Sonic Generationed.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Polygon Jim, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    But thats the part I don't understand. The player is running most of the time, and rolling isn't exactly the most useful forum of transportation. Rolling is supposed to be a reward for speed, and the only thing I can see it breaking is a scripted section, which likely shouldn't be scripted anyway.

2. Neoblast

Neoblast

Aha so you didn't change any friction values and just the speed.
    However the speed seems to be capped at a limit.

The level designs takes somewhat into cosideration the ability of rolling and spindash for classic sonic so I don't think it would break anything, we haven't seen the rest of the levels though...

3. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    We need Chimpo to make another professional analysis video now.

4. Amazing! It took so little effort too!

...Someone send this to them in an email, and explain how this was achieved. They NEED to understand what we mean, so it doesn't sound like bitching.

Also Homing Attack on C. Sonic... I lol'd.

5. That's a completely logical idea. I agree with this totally. I can't imagine them further escalating a problem to the point of changing level design based on velocity movement.

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Why was rolling speed even capped in the first place? =/

7. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I'm guessing the Havok engine makes it way to easy for velocity to increase very quickly, too quickly probably.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think the intended question is more in the lines of "Why didn't they adjust it like this in the first place".

I hope it's possible to eventually remove the scripted ramps, so it will be possible to check how these physics really work.

9. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    With regards to rolling possibly not being changed because of level design etc, remember it's still perfectly possible as the game still has months of development time left. I think with this game, SEGA are willing to put in the effort. Even the demo states that it doesn't represent the final build, and that it could be likely to change. =P

10. Neoblast

Neoblast

Given SEGA's past actions, chances are they won't change the physics, just minor level details. Object placement and probably correct some bugs.

UNLESS, the people who tried later builds than the dmeo noticed some physics changes, thenthere could still be a chance.

11. The only people who've played different builds are internal. This build is the same one that was at TGS, E3, and every other event. It just has a tweaked file telling it which menu to load.

12. The Homing attack on C. Sonic looks more like the Fire shield's jump dash (aside from the ability to do it more than once per jump if it hits something), since it doesn't appear to actually home in on anything.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah... It looks like something that could actually work for Classic Sonic instead of the usual homing attack, even though I wouldn't want it to replace the insta-shield.

It doesn't seem to be spammable for getting high speeds, either.

14. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    No video of this because I'm super lazy, but yesterday morning I removed the weird autoloop things on top of the ramps that shoot you into the air all over the stage.

Removing them makes you unable to reach reach the upper paths half the time because the angle of the ramps aren't matched up to where you get shot to using the auto-launchers. When you rely on only physics on those ramps you fly way off target of were the auto-launch was meant to send you. The game does technically work with these removed, but every level in the game would need overhauled for you to ever be able to reach any paths the ramps took you.

The problem is that most of the ramps are at say a 90 degree angle, but the auto-launchers send you instead at maybe a 45 degree angle, so when you try to just use your own character physics you end up going 90 degrees instead of the 45 degrees the level is designed for which makes you go off in the wrong direction.

So no one say to remove the auto-launch ramps again, the end.

15. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Not for THIS game, sure, I can go with that.

Strikes me as odd level design, though. You go off a quarter-pipe and are launched... at a 45° angle. Makes... sense?

16. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Blah, all I know is even if SEGA doesn't do it right, Jim or someone else will probably release a patched PC version which is good enough for me. I don't know about everyone else but I finally got around to trying the 360 demo on Saturday, and I felt like Sonic was made of lead or was wearing the slow shoes from Sonic Labyrinth or something, it didn't seem right at all. I noticed Jim mentioned a few pages back that C Sonic is just M Sonic with tweaked physics and frankly that shows, in a bad way.

17. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Code (Text):
    1. &nbsp;&nbsp;<JumpCollision>
    2. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<Collision_Height>10</Collision_Height>
    3. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<Collision_Width>10</Collision_Width>
    4. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<GroundOffset>0</GroundOffset>
    5. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<ImpulseSpeedOnBoost>40</ImpulseSpeedOnBoost>
    6. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<ImpulseSpeedOnNormal>27</ImpulseSpeedOnNormal>
    7. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<IsCastShadow>true</IsCastShadow>
    8. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<IsStartVelocityConstant>true</IsStartVelocityConstant>
    9. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<OutOfControl>1.1</OutOfControl>
    10. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<Pitch>5</Pitch>
    11. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<Position>
    12. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<x>390.488</x>
    13. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<y>18.9062</y>
    14. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<z>-480.743</z>
    15. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</Position>
    16. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<Range>100</Range>
    17. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<Rotation>
    18. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<w>-4.19927e-008</w>
    19. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<x>1.22699e-008</x>
    20. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<y>0.96363</y>
    21. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<z>0.267237</z>
    22. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</Rotation>
    23. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<SetObjectID>5002199</SetObjectID>
    24. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<SpeedMin>20</SpeedMin>
    25. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<TerrainIgnoreTime>0.25</TerrainIgnoreTime>
    26. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<m_ClassicSpinThreshold>30</m_ClassicSpinThreshold>
    27. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<m_IsGroundOnly>true</m_IsGroundOnly>
    28. &nbsp;&nbsp;</JumpCollision>

This is how the auto-launchers work. The "Pitch" flags say what angle to launch you at, the "IsStartVelocityConstant" flag forces you to slow/speed up to the exact speed they want you at, and then the "ImpulseSpeedOnNormal" flag tells the game what speed to launch you at. Also oddly each one of these launchers has a speed to set you to while boosting. Kind of weird honestly.

18. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    They still can't do proper level design. Lovely.

19. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Jim, what do you use to pack the CPK and PKG files? I'm pretty much looking to play the modern level and all that BS, but I cannot figure out how to repack those 2 things.

20. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I don't make any PKG archives as I just FTP the files over to my PS3, but I use the official CRI CPK archive tools for the CPK. Google around for them, they're very easy to find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.