don't click here

Gens/GS Milestone 6

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by GerbilSoft, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Sorry, but somebody point me where does Sonic 3D take advantage of this behaviour. The sprite ordering doesn't count, a lot of games relied in that =P I mean somewhere where the interaction of this bug with the scroll is important.

And actually a better trick than the one in Castlevania came to my mind ;P

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    It seems that Gens doesn't have any proper way to enable the Z80, so it enables it on every memory access...

EDIT: It seems that it *does*, so the bug is somewhere else in Gens. Meh...

3. notaz

notaz

Tech Member
    Well it just had sprites without priority bit before sprites with it in the list, so it breaks if this is not handled correctly in emulator. Most games tend to place sprites with priority bit at the start of the list.

Looking forward to see that in action.

4. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Er, that isn't taking advantage of the bug, that's getting around it >_>
    However, I recall DGen had some problems with Sonic 3D sprites. Dunno exactly why.

Then somebody make me the graphics because I'm lazy (provided I give the directives, that is).

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Has anyone ever tried making a 32MB ROM to push the bankswitching to it's limits?

6. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I smiled until I got to this line:
    *twitches*

Overall, very interesting project.

7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    Gens right now has a 6MB (+512 bytes for SMD) hard limit for filesizes, so I'd have to change that in order to accomodate 32MB.

Also, I don't know of any homebrew or hacks that utilize the Sega bankswitching system.

8. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Yeah, but GENS also uses savestates, also not possible on the actual hardware.

Fair enough it's your build/hack/whatever, but if you're going for "just actual genesis features" then take out all the rerecording stuff, savestates, RAM viewer and all the rest.

9. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    But those aren't features the games use, those are features the users use =/

10. I'm glad to see somebody is updating Gens. Have you consider porting some of the features (namely Game Gear and Sega Master System support) from Gens+ to this version of Gens? I would suggest looking at the Gens32 sources, but I don't wish that mess on anyone. Some of the Game Genie hacking utilities from the various variants of Gens would be nice.

But if I were to suggest one thing and one thing only, it'd be to update the YM2612 core based on the new findings Nemesis has found, including stuff for SSG-EG. You can find more about that here.

11. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    So cool Gerbil! Are you just submitting patches to the Gens community or are you forking it? Can I help make an Ubuntu package?

12. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    Unfortunately, there's no centralized place to submit patches to, so this is essentially a fork.

I guess you could make an Ubuntu package, but anyone here should be able to compile it themselves. >_>

Note that the m1 release (which I'll release sometime this week, hopefully) will be Linux only. Windows support will be added later on, probably in m3 or m4.

Also, with regards to hardware features: Savestates could be implemented on the actual system with no changes to the games at all, as can overclocking, which is why it's fine. Stuff like adding additional RAM or VRAM would be useless unless a game was rewritten to accomodate for those changes, so that's why I'm not adding that sort of thing.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I disagree. With a time manipulation device, you could easily use them - it's after all, just a combo of the ROM and what's in the system's memory at the time. :words:

14. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    What about the official Sourceforge project?

15. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    You still need to be a member of a project to check in code for it.
    If there's nobody to allow him access, then he can't do anything with it.

Just out of curiosity, how well have you decoupled the UI layer from it's underlying functionality? The only copy of the Gens source that I've seen seemed to be organized so inconsistently that it seemed like it would be a waste of time to even try and slap a new GUI on it. I really enjoy how easy it is to port Genesis Plus in comparison, because all you need to do is pass in a pointer to ROM data and controller input each frame. Then it gives back sound and video arrays for you to use as you please. Of course, that makes it easier to be lazy, but it also makes porting a breeze.

16. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    I've released Milestone 1! :words: See the first post for more information.

17. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Nice job man! I can't wait to compile this when I get home! I'll make a deb so my fellow Ubuntu users can try it out :words:

18. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Feel free to port it to PPC Macs - my PowerBook G4 aluminum really wants to play Sonic CD, but MacGens is intel only.

19. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    You could just duelboot with Ubuntu PPC and compile it yourself...

20. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Right, but that requires me to install Ubuntu on a computer I actually value, which won't be happening any time soon. That, and I don't know nearly enough to compile it for the Mac OS X Platform, let alone a PPC one.