don't click here

Genocide City

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Nov 27, 2005.

1. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    infinitizero, read Deathbyteacup post before assuming the colored one is the original.

2. Deathbyteacup

Deathbyteacup

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. Member
    Indeed. The colour one is something I've done. The original is black and white so it's anybody's guess what the colour of the zone was supposed to be (if there was any...)

That said, the scrap brain colours fit. I'm not suggesting it is Scrap Brain by that, I’m just highlighting the fact the two are very similar in style. My point being that the story of Genocide City can be pretty much be summed up like this;

- Someone comes up with a Cyber City idea, Yasushi Yamaguchi draws that concept
    - That concept gets passed to Craig who starts to play with it
    - Not long after down the line some clever guy goes "let's call that one genocide city"
    - Someone realises it's too similar to scrap brain, metropolis et. al so they scrap it in favour of a third act of the similar Metropolis zone.

That's a ruff timeline, but if you want to sum it up in a bite size way, that's probably genocide city. If it was supposed to be a past Metropolis or a future chemical plant or something is still open to interpretation but I don't really think it is. I think it's just an early idea thrown away early on. The slot in the beta was probably put in early on and nothing was ever removed until much later.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious, or missing stuff out in my ramblings, by the way. I'm just a newbie to all this :P

3. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    If anyone says anything else about the same-letter-name thing, please kindly direct them to this post in my absence:

Oil Ocean Zone

4. PaintGamma

PaintGamma

SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!! Member
    Between the X and Z keys.
    Pipe Haus v.2.0
    Heh, you can never know what the pallette would look like. It could look like Scrap Brain
    [​IMG]

Or like the machine pallette:
    [​IMG]

Or maybe something grungeish, who knows:
    [​IMG]

And yes, all the sprite renditions are by me.

5. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I seen this posted about in the lost level forums. Yeah, it is pretty cool info. I hope that Sonic Long version dude incorperates it's true design in his game. It's a shame, but he's gonna have to shelf his artwork for that zone.

6. Deathbyteacup

Deathbyteacup

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. Member
    I'm pretty sure the art for Genocide City in Sonic 2 long version was from something like Streets of Rage :P

It would be excelent though to have a Cyber City / Genocide City made up in S2 long or another hack, probably going for the purple / Machine pallette.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The foreground was partially taken from Spirou.

8. Shade

Shade

Well, that was just a random little musing of mine that I just thought I'd put out there while I was at it. Hence why I said ideas/theories. I did not, by any means, intend for that to sound like "zomg same lettars! Is teh R2 zone!11!".

I'm also very doubtful that those lasers in the pic would have actually function anything like the Metallic madness shrinking lasers. Just that they look almost exactly alike. I think its more likely they needed to be deactivated by a switch, or simply pulsated on and off to make you time your movements. Again, just a little detail that caught my eye.

At any rate, seeing as how this obviously did not really make it past the drawing board, as with most of the time-travel related zones, I'm still prepared to accept that this might well be a bad future of one of the zones. Possibly Chemical Plant. To be honest, Genocide City sounds very much like a bad future name to me, and it is pretty much a documented fact that time travel was indeed planned for Sonic 2 at one point. Heck, maybe Cyber City was the present or past of Genocide City for all we know.

Again, I am not stating anything as fact. Just some of my musings for all of you to take into account, think about, or build upon, what have you.

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Cool stuff you got there!

10. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Awesome SBZ Machien palette. I wonder if I can use it for the Machine I ported to make Cyber City :P. Anyways I wonder if anybody noticed that the current tiles used in Gcz in our beta resemble different ARZ tiles. Load this savestates art in SonED with the Final Rom in ARZ loading the tiles from the savestate.

Edit:
    I am incorperating it already. I don't know if SHB is going to as he made an awesome GCZ already.

Attached Files:

• Gcz.zip
      File size:
      43.7 KB
      Views:
  11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    And you claim you know how things work..

12. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Wow how long has this been known for. I've only been here a year and a bit and I've seen this come up 3 or 4 times now.

13. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    I didn't see anybody bring it up before. I was randomly shifting through the beta and stumbled upon it. I didn't know it was already discovered.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Haha, it's on the site. ARZ is the default tileset loaded for undefined levels.

15. rpgfan3233

rpgfan3233

That makes sense too. After all, the beta's first level actually starts with NGHZ (ARZ in the final) if you don't use level select, so it makes sense that the first tiles loaded are the default.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice the date. :(

16. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Don't worry about it, we don't normally complain about bumping in the archive forums. Just try not to do it in the non-archive forums.

17. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    [​IMG]

Now, just imagine that blue lines in the foreground are rotating pallets: very slow ones for walls, faster for arrows and others elements. Imagine these rotating pallets like some electricity. Imagine the dynamic pattern in the background too, making a cool 3 planes effect. This is how I imagine this level.

18. Great job with the coloring! That looks very realistic, although IMO I think it'd have more of a greyish hue to it had it been in the game.

19. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

That's really neat! ;) The background reminds me of that one level in Toy Story (the one where you're inside the toy machine and the coins are all over the place). A little obsessed I guess.

20. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Looks very good, reminds me of Scrap Brain Act 2 a bit.