don't click here

General Sega CD Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Glisp, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    I know some of you are probably going to disagree with this list. Its not my list. (or video) In fact, only a few of these games would go on mine and others would be replaced. However, keep in mind that there is a majority out there. I'm also assuming that this majority got together and made this list/video. Please at least watch it. You don't have to read my commentary below if you don't want to. I'm not going to force you to but the least you could do is watch the goddamn video. I also decided to do something good for my 1001st post rather than waste it blabbing about something dumb or myself.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the video. =P

And no, Megamix isn't on there because it doesn't count.

Here's a brief rundown of the games that were picked for this top 10 list. In fact, I might just try a few of them out. I've already got a couple of them. There are some other decent games but these are probably the best for the system IMO.

10. Popful Mail- this little title seems somewhat interesting. I might have to just try it some time. It seems to be some kind of platforming RPG thingy. I'm not sure what it actually is entirely. Those who have played it should know.

9. Silpheed- Its another one of those space ship shooter games. Watch the video to see what its like.

8. Vay- its an RPG localized by Working Design, which was one of the leading genres found on the Sega CD platform. Its actually a very good RPG and probably just as entertaining as Shining Force CD. I can vouch for it since I own it. It set me back about 86 bucks or so but it was worth it.

7. Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Dark Side- This is the gorier and much less aged sequel to the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game known as Eternal Champions. The first game has aged horribly compared to this sequel which has yet to see a re release. If you judged the series based on the first game, I suggest you take a look at this title before keeping the judgment. It kind of combines a few aspects of Street Fighter with the gore of Mortal Kombat. Just look at my sig. Yeah, that's one of the stage fatalities. I'm kind of sad that this placed only at #7 since I figured that it would place at at least #5 considering it to be both a first party title and a console exclusive. Oh well, at least it made the list. A six button gamepad is recccomended for full enjoyment. Be warned though, the difficulty level is brutal, even on easy. At least in story mode anyway. I guess I explained it in too much detail. I apologize, but this happens to be one of my favorite games.

6. Bari Arm/Android Assault- another space ship shoot em' up type game or whatever its called. Its a side scroller similar to Zero Wing I suppose though I'm not sure to how much detail.

5. Final Fight CD- Meh, this is about the closest thing to a Sega CD port of a Streets of Rage game as far as official releases go anyway. Its pretty much the series that Streets of Rage famously ripped off. As a matter of fact, I might give it a try though I probably won't purchase it when I do. (I'm a little low on cash. Hey, I'm not some rich kid like you think I am, okay?)

4. Lunar - The Silver Star- Another game localized by working design. I haven't played this one but considering the work they did with Vay, I'm sure when I do play it, I'll enjoy it. Its an RPG like Vay.

3. Shining Force CD- This game combines a bit of strategy with RPG. Its an enhanced port of two Shining Force Game Gear titles. This game rapes back up Ram on the Sega CD so be sure to have a back up Ram cart handy just in case. Many games won't function properly if the Sega CD's back up Ram is full. I know for a fact Sonic CD will not due to the fact that when the ram gets full, you can no longer load save files or start new games you just get a black screen that lasts forever.

2. Sonic CD- I doubt I need to say anything about this as its self explanatory.

1. Snatcher - I might try this game as well. It looks interesting. I don't know a lot about it but I'm willing to learn.

There you have this person's top ten list.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Mr Fancharacter Video Author really didn't need that overly long introduction that had no relevance to the contents of the list whatsoever. I saw Night Trap come up and immediately thought "this list is BOLLOCKS" before I realised it was just 45 seconds of wasted bandwidth. Oh well.

Silpheed has the exact same alert sound that SA2 does for the GUN bases. =P Never knew that. Also some dedicated TG fans may notice one or two familiar tracks here. ;)

Also list fails for using the US Sonic CD soundtrack - otherwise, not a bad overall list.

3. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    As I mentioned previously, the placement of Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Dark Side wasn't really where I would have placed it. I would have probably placed it on at least five. Still, I'm happy it made the list at all. Its a great title and I think anyone who owns a Sega CD should at least play it. The game also sales fairly cheaply on ebay. I got my copy for around 10 bucks or so. However, most of you will probably choose to pirate it and that's fine I suppose. Its one of the few good games that actually uses Q-Sound btw.

Also, I think the US Sonic CD soundtrack was just put in because more people would recognize it. You have no idea how crazy the Sonic CD US soundtrack fan boys are. Then again.....you probably do. Personally, I enjoy both soundtracks and feel that both have several interesting music tracks to offer. I even have 920 burned to a disk in Addition to owning (unintentionally of course.) three copies of the final US version. I seem to play 920 more because I played the game with the US soundtrack on Gems Collection to death pretty much and the soundtrack got old since I had heard it so much.

4. Amethyst

Amethyst

Interesting list...

Whats the 3rd game in the intro? That looks pretty kick-ass. I love upward scrolling shooters.

5. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    It looks like Robo Aleste to me.

6. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    For those who actually give a shit, here's a couple of gameplay videos of game #7:

Yeah, you can play as or fight against a chicken. Not an anthropomorphic chicken either. A regular Chicken that knows Egg Fu named Crispy who died in 1957 while trying to save other chickens from becoming someone else's dinner. Silly bonus character and one of many actually.

Yes, you can play as the Eternal Champion in this game. In both the highest difficulty setting in story mode for the final battle and duel mode (though you can only play as him in duel mode if you unlock him first. He has two versions each with 4 different forms.)

I'm not advertizing my videos. You aren't entitled to watch them if you don't want to. I just thought maybe I'd show off a little bit of gameplay just to show what its like. Its also relevant to the subject anyway. As for me, you can count on me downloading (and eventually purchasing once I get the funds) some of the other games I don't own on that list and playing them just to see what they are like because I'm willing to try new things.

I encourage everyone to play or at least attempt to play each of these 10 games. Granted, I know some of you aren't into certain genres but these are potentially the fucking 10 best Sega CD titles. People bitch and whine about the lack of good titles for the Sega CD, and here are 10 games for you to check out and I can probably name about at least 5 to ten more titles worth looking at beyond these 10.

7. Amethyst

Amethyst

I'll fire it up sometime, on my MegaCD. In the meantime I've got other beatemups to play (Marvel vs Capcom 2).

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Why isn't Night Trap on that list?

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Because that game is horrible.

10. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Though a Certain secret Eternal Champions Challenge From the Dark Side character probably wouldn't exist without the controversy it caused. His name is Senator and he practices Dishonesty as a Martial Art:

The character's story is kind of hilarious actually:

P.S. Mortal Kombat helped a little too.

Edit: meh, I'm doing it again aren't I? Damn it.

11. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    List is incomplete

It may not be the best game ever, but it is an iconic mega cd title, and it's good for a rainy weekend.

12. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    I'm pretty sure that it didn't make the list for a reason. That being said, I'm confident it would be in the top best 20 somewhere.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    This thread should really just be turned into a general favorite SEGA CD games thread.

There's really no point arguing over a list by some guy on youtube.

14. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    I'm pretty sure it was more than one party involved in making that list. Maybe we should make our own..... That'd be fun. Maybe a top 20 list perhaps?

Edit: Also, fine by me Chimpo. I don't care just as long as people in here don't start bashing any of the games on that list. (They'd have to be batshit or at least tasteless for that sort of thing.) ECCD in particular because I have high respect for that game as previous posts and my signature have shown.

Edit 2: Topic Title changed. Enjoy your discussion. Moderators/administrators, feel free to pin. Fellow members, don't break anything. *shot*

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    If people dislike certain games on that list they're free to discuss why they don't like them just as long as they're not assholes about it.

16. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    On that note, Ecco 2 has interesting swimming but it got very boring very quickly and I put it down after navigating through those first set of rings. Same with Revenge of Shinobi. For me, you have to get me interested at the start, even if you save the best for last. Neither of those two games did that.

I'd be able to critique Popful Mail if I knew what to do on the fucking first level after meeting that guy that makes Mail angry :argh:

17. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Agreed. If they explain their case I'm fine with it. Just as long as they've at least TRIED to play it before saying "this game sucks." Yeah, there has to at least be minimal reasoning behind it. (I.e. lousy controls, insane difficulty, bad story, bad acting, etc.)

@andlabs Meh, Revenge of Shinobi isn't exactly friendly to new players, even on the easiest difficulty settings.

The Ecco 2 CD, well its just the same as the Genesis/Mega Drive versions except for FMVs and a soundtrack by Spencer Nilsen that was ruined by not following the original synth mixes of the Genesis/Mega Drive versions. I'm dying to see the game with remixes of the Genesis music versions. The Sega CD soundtrack is enjoyable to some extent but its definitely not the best of Spencer Nilsen's works IMO. I think he should stick to using electric guitars personally. It just seems to be the thing he excels best at. Especially when he mixes synth or out of the ordinary instruments with it.

Regarding Sonic CD's US soundtrack which Nilsen composed, I personally think that he did a great job on trying to make it fit. I kind of like the soundtracks from both regions because I just seem to be a huge fan of both techno, pop, and, rock. Though, I'll listen to just about anything as long as it comes from a video game. There are exceptions of course but for the most part, the previous statement is true.

Also, darn it, I forgot about downloading those games.... better go do that..... *runs off to rom site*

What? I'll buy them when I get the cash. I did it with the other games I downloaded and I'll do it with these.

Edit: Hey guys, Lunar has a sequel. So if you happen to enjoy Lunar, you might try its sequel.

18. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I actually paid $30 for my complete mint copy of Lunar and $50 for a complete mint condition copy of Lunar 2.

I actually haven't got around to playing any of my Sega RPGs yet besides just trying them out but after I clear the original four Dragon Warriors and three Final Fantasies (I got translated repros of 2 & 3) on NES, Phantasy Star for SMS is what I'll play 8th. After that I'll probably go for Phantasy Star II, III, IV then Lunar and Lunar 2 in that order. So it will definitely take me a while to get onto my Sega CD unless I want to do more runs of Sonic CD in between RPGs. If I choose to do the action RPGs Neutopia and Neutopia II for TurboGrafx-16 before jumping to the true 16-bit Sega it might take even longer, and wait I forgot Golvellius for SMS which is another action RPG like Neutopia and Zelda. I might as well do that one when the SMS is hooked up.

Arrgh my backlog is just too big. I'll just have to take this one game at a time. The point is I will get to Lunar on Sega CD someday. I just have no idea how long that is going to be.

19. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Snatcher is my favourite game of all time and the Sega CD is the definitive version of the game.

I will own it one day.

20. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    We had the exact same topic 2 weeks ago.

Keio Flying Squadron 2 is the only Sega CD exclusive worth a damn.