don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    Oh goodness....that same thing happened to me, I think. Did it just stop working all of the sudden out of nowhere? Lots of people have had the issue. Uninstalling the Wacom software and reinstalling it didn't work, I had to go into the device manager, uninstall drivers from there and I had to scout about in the system32 folder and delete anything related to Wacom or tablet drivers. Only when I did that, could I successfully reinstall my tablet.

2. zemulii

zemulii

I've got this weird problem on my Windows 7 computer where about half the time I start up the computer the tablet just doesn't do anything. The light comes on but it doesn't respond. Unplugging and plugging back in doesn't do anything (nor does installing different driver versions)... whereas other times it starts up normally. I think the drivers just fail to load sometimes. So I just avoid doing any work on it and use my XP system.

3. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    EDIT: It's working now :3
    Expect moar drawings later

4. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    So I was playing GT5 Prologue, and a particular lighting effect caught my eye as having a potential place in S2HD. When entering and exiting a tunnel, the game approximate the effect of one's eye adapting to the new level of light. Summarized, this means:
    -Before entering a tunnel or other darker environment, the darker environment appears much darker than intended, simulating the eye's adjustment to the light.
    -when in the darker environment, the outside is greatly desaturated and brightened, simulating the eye's adjustment to the dark.

Between each of these steps there is a transition that lasts approximately .4 of a second.

Here are some mockups I threw together in a moment's time:

Inside, looking out:
    [​IMG]

Outside, looking in:
    [​IMG]

This is very out there, but I thought it was worthy enough to at least look at.

5. test-object

test-object

This is a possibility, but not in Emerald Hill. Maybe Hill Top could do with this treatment, making it a bit more special instead of a carbon copy.

oh, and entirely unrelated: I suggest a grass special effect on Sonic's Spindash. just a couple spikes of grass being mown when he uses the Spindash in GHZ, ARZ and HTZ.

6. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that I didn't feel like actually making it all the way to HTZ. And I think your "unrelated" idea has been brought up about 5 times, and never truly looked at. I like that idea too!

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Sonic 1 HD confirmed.

8. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Why exactly are we doing the more daunting task of Sonic 2 HD first anyway?

9. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Odd choice in stage selection aside, yeah, this is something we've already thought of and are looking for ways to implement.

10. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    YAY!!! :specialed:

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Because someone found this pic (by Alchemist Defined) somewhere and went like "oh hi this is cool can I has S2HD plz?":
    [​IMG]

12. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Wow, so other than the metal texture on the Eggmeister, what we have now actually surpasses this concept. And also, being spoiled by Tweaker, will Megamix abilities be included, like the homing jump and whatnot?

13. test-object

test-object

Thanks for ruining the surprise I had for you guys :(

[​IMG]

:v:

You mean that thing everyone is hating Sonic 4 for?

14. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Hamneggs, absolutely not. T-O summed up my thoughts on that extremely well.

15. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Well it did work quite well in Megamix; made attacks seem, well, more attack-y, like so:
    Sonic Classic: "Oops, I jumped, and fell on you. Sorry!" Sounds like a trampoline incident.
    MegaMix: "Ha! I struck you with force! You deserve to die! And now, COMBO!" That sounds more like a deliberate attack.
    I really do see the point though. What about the "extended" camera?

But then I have another question:
    Will we be able to define our own BGM? I mean, if there is one source of discontent in the S2HD fan club (other than the grass, and the ring, and the HTZ tree, and the transparency, and the trueToPixel debate) it is the opinion of music. Heck, wouldn't it be nice to simply go and replace a music file with another (renamed to match, of course) and listen to your own music. It would be interesting to hear "Endless Mine" or "Lava Reef" in MCZ, or maybe Dire Strait's "Walk of Life" during Hill Top. Who knows? Maybe even OC's "Emerald Nights." Of course, this would undermine the recreation of the original tracks, but it would definitely give it more face appeal, the same way adding multi-player does. This was done in SORR, (Streets of Rage Remake) a similar project. In a real life example, who could like Killzone 2 less for allowing one to play their own music during multi-player?

And another question: Debug mode, anyone?

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    You can bounce on multiple enemies without the homing attack, you just had to be, you know, good at it as suppose to tap A and win.

Regardless though, Sonic Megamix was completely redesign to make use of all its new features. That meant completely new level design and object position. Sonic 2 HD is suppose to be an enhancement to the original game.

It's kind of like the Spin Dash in Sonic 1. Sure it's there, and it's nice to have, but it's pretty much useless.

17. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Still though, you didn't get the sensation of giving them a good whack! And I know, it was the first cool thing I could do. Period.

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Now we're going entirely into opinion territory. I don't get the same sensation that you're getting so I personally don't see how it would add to the game.

Again though, Sonic 2 wasn't built with a homing attack in mind and I'm sure the team doesn't want to change anything to make that move actually useful.

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Not only that. But Sonic had other abilities that came before that. Like the insta shield.

20. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    I think an HDR/bloom effect between light/dark areas would be cool, but would significantly ramp up the graphical horsepower requirements of the game. I'm guessing that if an effect like that were to be added, it would be optional for those who aren't so fortunate to have more powerful hardware?

(I say bring it on, because my computer can handle it, I'm just lookin' out for the homies, though) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.