don't click here

General Project Screenshots/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sparks, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Flare

Flare

Yeah, I do think the resolution is a bit small, do you think this is too big, or about right? (480x240)

[​IMG]

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Considering the size of the Advance sprites, yeah I think that looks way too wide. Why not 320x240?
    [​IMG]

3. Flare

Flare

Yes, you are right. It does seem to be the best size. Cheers.

4. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Widescreen is awesome in fangames. You should totally include a widescreen option.

5. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    400x224 is damn near 16:9 ratio, and the vertical res of the MD games.

6. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Another thing worth mentioning is that 480 pixels is too wide. Fangames like Blaze's Sonic Forever is 427×240 and I think Sonic Classic 2 is 428×240.

7. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    I personally avoid going with non-standard resolutions, and resolutions that aren't rounded up to the nearest ten are a bit silly in my opinion.

8. dsrb

dsrb

Yeah, because that screenshot is running a 2:1 aspect ratio, whereas standard widescreen is 16:9 a.k.a. 1.78:1 (actually 1.77777777recurringforever, but y'know). Those two games are doing widescreen by approximating what you get when you take 240, divide by 9, and multiply by 16: 426.6recurring.

Everyone can quibble about standard resolutions, rounding, decimal places, and whatever—but 2:1 is way overkill however you slice it!

9. Falk

Falk

Let's face it, widescreen support is generally so that your aspect ratio is functionally correct when people play full-screen on modern computer monitors/HDTVs FIRST and showing more horizontal gameplay area SECOND (as opposed to vice versa, and don't get me wrong, being able to see more -is- a worthy consideration by itself)

With that in mind unless it's exactly 16:9 or as close as possible as discrete pixels allows, it's fundamentally wrong.

16:10 is like some retarded red headed stepchild and you shouldn't even bother considering it.

10. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    [​IMG]
    Sonic Zero got a hold of some levels. Some we're keeping, some we're scrapping and salvaging their parts for other zones. This is not one of the zones we'll be keeping in its current form, but it gives you a preview of stuff to come. We thank Strife for the donation!

The HUD is scooted aside so that I could get a better view of the lights.

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    [​IMG]

I did this thing using the palette from EHZ. I'm trying to make it so that it can be split up into 8x8 tiles reasonably easily for as many mixing and matching possibilities as possible. I'm working on creating a palette for white, blue, and maybe greyish blocks, but palettes are not my strong point. Once that's all done I'll get to work on the grass!

Edit: and I just realized that the diamonds are 7x7, not 8x8. Well then.

And then I fixed it.

[​IMG]

For the most part. There's something still off, but I'll figure it out later. I'm going cross-eyed Please excuse the tinypic compression.

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    And then your image is a JPG. :v:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAgZAE2LzaA

New gimmicks by Zeros programmer, LarkSS. Graphics by Gamernerd, parts updated and expanded by me.

Object placement isn't final.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Wtf tinypic turns things into JPGs? I didn't know that. Wait I found that out already duh. Well, here it is again

[​IMG]

And something else I've been fiddling with. I'm trying to get a stylized stratified rock thing going on

[​IMG]

And here's some music stuff. First one is the Refreshinator music from Colors. I'm playing with it, trying to get a feel for Fruity Loops and teaching myself how to make music. I did this (and the next one) over the course of the last couple of hours, so they're still rough. This one specifically is using the Ultimate Genesis Soundfont...not forever though. I'm just roughing things out before I take it over to VGM Music Maker. All the music I'm making is eventually going to be redone with that once they're roughed out with Fruity Loops.

Refreshinator

This one is a...how do I describe it...A "bossy" remix of Eggman's theme of late? This one is really just an experiment, to see where I can take it...

Eggman Theme

And this one...is original. Again, I'm just fiddling around with it so don't expect a masterpiece (if ever you could expect one from me!)

Dunno LOL

14. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    Nice projects guys, also about Widescreen, I think recent fangames should have the option for it, it looks really interesting and no matter if your using Genesis or Advance sprites it kinda gives the feel of the 2D segments in Unleashed, Colors, and Generations, just saying.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    [​IMG]

Another experiment! Trying to see if there's a way to convincingly portray Shadow in Sonic 1/2 in sprite form. I don't intend for him to be playable in my fangame so if this spriting experiment goes anywhere, I won't have to do that many frames.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Not bad, but two things. The spikes are too Super Sonic and not enough Shadow. They need to be larger and lower. Also you forgot the red around his eyes.

I like the shoes though.

17. Truner

Truner

I love it. There's a loss in details (the red around his eyes), but I think it fits more with the Sonic 1-2 sprites. If anything, add the red parts, but I don't think there's a need to change the spikes.
    I can already imagine his running spike being a half circle... since Shadow skates and cutting Sonic's loop running in half would probably do a classic effect to it.
    Too bad you don't plan on using this, it's really cute.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    The way the spikes are is intentional. Shadow's spikes basically ARE Super Sonic spikes. Just look at Sonic Adventure 2! Shadow's spikes didn't really become his and his alone until they changed Super Sonic's spikes.

I did just forget the red around the eyes though :v:. I've added it back in, and tweaked some other stuff. Thanks for your input!

I said he probably wouldn't be playable...didn't say I wasn't planning on using it ;)

19. Truner

Truner

That is great to hear. Impatient looking Classic Sonic sprites are my weaknesses. XD
    Yeah, Super Sonic and Shadow had really similar spikes in SA2. I think they changed it in Heroes?

20. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Just providing some info, the Genesis/Mega Drive games use a resolution of 320x224. The reason why its 320x224 and not 320x240 is because of overscan, only 320x224 is visible, hence why there are black bars on top and bottom on the Gens emulator.

Also Taxman's Sonic CD remake uses 400x224 on widescreen, IIRC. So I personally recommend using 320x224, and having a widescreen option of 400x224.