don't click here

General Project Screenshots/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sparks, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Wow, that looks incredible. It has tonnes of potential, good luck!

2. Cyberblade

Cyberblade

Can't catch me ya bastard! Member
    Ohio
    Sonic Shift
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just an update. ^^ I've implemented springboards (In 8 directions), rings, and their loss; along with a number of random little physics improvements. The red plane is a always harmful object (like spikes/lava) while the monkey head "Suzanne" is an enemy object. However I have not implemented enemy destruction yet. She's on the ground to make sure that when you jump/roll into an enemy you don't get hurt, but run into one and you do.

Todo:

1. Enemy destruction
    2. Player Death
    3. Monitors

Game design question: Should the game have a lives system? I'm considering not having lives, due to many considering them to be an outdated concept in modern games. With some sort of saving system like Sonic 3, there really isn't a need to be able to game over, since you can still start over where you left off. To compensate for what could be perceived as making the game too easy, perhaps then the checkpoints system could be removed too? To keep difficult bosses fair they could be within their own little boss level/arena like Sonic CD or Sonic 4. Anybody got any thoughts on that?

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4pG4K3yesw
    Nope.

4. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Those are some impressively competent physics. What is this running on?

Level design looks nice and Battle Kukku is always great. A whole week went by without a single comment?

5. Well that build (or one similar enough to it) is available for download at SAGE. It's really good, especially since it runs on a modified Sonic Worlds engine. One of the best out of the fan games featured this year.

6. Derf

Derf

*Insert witty member title here* Member
    Yonder, Hither.
    Sonic ExoGenesis
    Some mockups of my game, Sonic Exogenesis. Just the later on zones and bosses. I'm not to fond of my level design so far os only bosses will be shown off.

Arcane Assembly Boss:
    [​IMG]

Scoured Skies Bosses:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Classic Mode (Doomsday):
    [​IMG]

7. Looking good.

8. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Holy shit is that eggmobile swinging a platform like the Sonic 1 boss--

Holy shit is that the Death Egg in the--

Dude. Nice. Will follow.

9. Derf

Derf

Yonder, Hither.
    Sonic ExoGenesis
    Thanks guys! And yeah the boss attempts to swing you into falling debris! ;D

[​IMG]Barren Badlands Act 1 , go go go.

10. Nice screenshot and good luck trying to make Sonic some good bosses. That's probably the series' weakest element.

11. Derf

Derf

Yonder, Hither.
    Sonic ExoGenesis
    Haha, thanks and I'll try. Good bosses aren't easy to make but I have a few original ideas up my sleeves. :)

12. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    Damn, those screenshots look amazing!

Also is it just me or am I getting a Sonic XG feeling about this project?

13. Derf

Derf

Yonder, Hither.
    Sonic ExoGenesis
    Thanks:) And it's not something I planned it just sort of happened, but graphically I think I was subtley inspired by the old Nexus and XG demo's.

New Mockup [​IMG]

14. This catches my interest. And I have two questions for you regarding this mock-up.

1. Will Knuckles be the only character who confronts Metal Sonic? Considering how the screen above shows a boss of Robotnik for Sonic & Tails.
    2. Will he glide at a diagonal descent? I imagine that it would leave room for an interesting boss pattern.

15. Derf

Derf

Yonder, Hither.
    Sonic ExoGenesis
    Sonic and Miles breifly encounter Metal Sonic on the plane so if you play as either of those character you see him but he flies oaway.

If you play as Knuckles you actually fight Metal Sonic while gliding though the air, and yes you move at a diagonal decent. This is because Scoured Skies Zone (this one) is the penultimate zone in the game and just like in Sonic and Knuckles, Knuckles ends the game here, early. That's why he get's an extra boss.

16. I see. Good luck with this project Derf. You have my full attention. :)

17. Derf

Derf

Yonder, Hither.
    Sonic ExoGenesis

18. dsrb

dsrb

Yeah, looks good. If you're attempting to make bosses more difficult, what about badniks? Most of the ones in the classic games were a joke.

19. Derf

Derf

Yonder, Hither.
    Sonic ExoGenesis
    That's a possibility. I'm put off because I have a few decent idea for egg-o-matics bosses aswell and the game might seem strange with half the bosses being badniks and half being egg-o-matics. It's definiately a nice idea and one I hadn't thought of yet. I could make them as minibosses?

Atm I'm working on making knckels Chaotix sprite head shape match knuckles genesis sprites and a new tileset.

Here's a WIP standing position. Credits go to Overbound for the ringless chaotix sheet. [​IMG]

20. dsrb

dsrb

Oh, I didn't mean reassigning badniks to new roles as bosses, but it's not the worst idea now that you've had it! Hez did something similar in Sonic Classic.

What I meant to convey was that ordinary badniks could maybe do with an increased difficulty, as those in the original games don't demand much in the way of thought or tactics. We need more motion, more intelligence, more projectiles, etc.

Actually, now I kinda want someone to make a shmup-inspired Sonic game… “Say, eggfan?”