don't click here

General Project Screenshots/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sparks, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    ok so here's my feedback:

Zones looks really good, especially Hazel Hills and Crystal Caverns. Heat waves effect on Dusty Dunes is really good too.
    Gigalopolis looks quite plain and empty though.

Some musics are really good: Hazel Hill theme from SegaSonic arcade game, Crystal Caverns, Gigalopolis and Robot Rave.
    Some I really don't like: Dusty Dunes theme, boss and results themes mostly because they're too loud and don't fit with the other musics anyway.

Quite interesting to see the recreation of those S1 zones.
    You need to put the underwater effect though.

That said, I think this game is getting really really promising.

Another question: Is Rocky Route zone still there?

2. Blazefirelp

Blazefirelp

Do not take what I say seriously =D
    North Wales
    Sonic XE
    So I stared to add walljump......
    [​IMG]

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I've always been a bit iffy about wall jump as a concept; your particularly implementation seems a bit slow for my tastes. Perhaps you could speed it up? Remember that Sonic is a fast-paced game; as such, it makes sense for bits where he has to stop to progress quickly, as to not bore or irritate the player. Sonic Heroes accomplished this pretty well.

I'd also suggest you make the structure a bit less awkward... it doesn't make much sense to have a block of ground just casually floating in midair like that. Try and visualize a coherent structure and work it out with the tiles you have available. That should make things look much better.

Loving this stuff, but you're making me want to do your music for you. Do you want me to do your music for you? It would beat the inconsistent sound you've got going on right now.

EDIT: LOL, you used my Digital Dimension cover! I'm flattered! XD

4. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    Agreed! Not to mention the art of the levels and the invincibility theme which I loved. If you keep it that would be awesome. :)

EDIT: Wait... a second post??? I didn't want that. Delete this please.
    EDIT2: THREE?! Really I don't understand this. Please delete other two.

5. Blazefirelp

Blazefirelp

North Wales
    Sonic XE
    Note that they are only there for testing the walljump, they won't actualy be their when releasing a demo and How do you suggest I make it faster?
    PS: It's a gif so it will look slow but when it loads it will look 60FPS.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, the best way to make it faster is... well, make it faster. Beef up the inertia that Sonic shoots off to the other wall at or something if it detects one in range. I know that if I'm swimming, for example, I kick off a wall to make myself shoot off at a faster speed, so it makes sense that Sonic would be able to quickly jump from wall to wall in a similar fashion.

7. Blazefirelp

Blazefirelp

North Wales
    Sonic XE
    Meh, Not sure I know how to make those animations :P

8. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    I freakin' love the title screen, the save screen and the character select. AFAIK, Hazel Hills Zone used art from Ristar, Quartz Quadrant and Angel Isand?
    Well, maybe it's just me, but I can't hear much of the music - making it a bit louder?
    That boss looked pretty good and it's a good concept. Also I lol'd when just one flicky came out of the capsule.

Hell yes! That art and the remaster of Lava Reef makes me drooling. Good job there! :specialed:

Holy... That's some awesome art there! Could you add some thunderstorm in the background anyway? :P
    Also Tweaker's Digital Dimension. ¦D

There, you got me drooling again because of the art and the remaster. The level looks pretty solid and and dangerous. Great job. :3

Overall, this game seems to be one of the best fangames I've ever seen and it wins the internet.

9. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    If you look closer, the timer only moves 4 seconds before he gets up there... So its really not all that slow...

10. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Considering I am very nearing a release....yes...please....I would consider swinging the other way if you did :3

11. Blazefirelp

Blazefirelp

North Wales
    Sonic XE
    Update: Knuckles edit. C+C please........
    [​IMG]

12. Blazefirelp

Blazefirelp

North Wales
    Sonic XE
    Really? Thanks selbi. Yes, you're eyes aren't wrong. You see Knuckles Chaotix's Pallet :P I personaly thing it needs more of a change. Anyone got any suggestions?

Edit: My comment on this is just ".........................................."
    [​IMG]
    I suck at spriting sometimes.......

13. Good stuff, though I have a couple of minor nitpicks to point out:

* This one may just be the video but I noticed that the lava falls in Crystal Caverns isn't animated, which looks rather silly.
    * A couple of SBZ things (Trap door, spinny platforms and the buzzsaw over the conveyor belts) in Robotic Rave look rather bright compared to the dark aesthetic of the rest of the level.
    * Sonics walk animation looks rather strange, especially at low speeds where he looks like he's struggling for grip
    * Sonics mouth on his level over animation/level select/save screen animation looks a bit big and is rather creepy. This one may also be the video.

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Those might just be Youtube halving the framerate.

15. I thought that but if the lavafalls are using a 2-frame animation as 60 frames a second, it's going to look far too fast. and for the walking animation, I originally put it down to that but in Robot Rave in particular it looks like the Sonic 1 walk had been extended to 8 frames and nothing was done to compensate.

16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    It's actually youtubes fault on top of SnagIt's. it all looks normal in normal game play. Other things don't look animated (such as the saws) as well because of the youtube quality. I can't do anything about this :\

EDIT: I just noticed you said lava falls in the background. You are correct, they are not animated. They will be...its just one of those last minute things I am going to do so no worries :P

17. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    What about my question, Hez?

18. Blazefirelp

Blazefirelp

North Wales
    Sonic XE
    Hez, when is a demo expected for release? I am itching to play this!

19. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I'm gonna get a bit nitpicky here, so feel free to ignore me at your leisure.

The camera should center on the "Boss area" first and then have the boss itself roll in from the right side of the screen. Seems a bit weird to just have the music start playing when only part of the hammer is on screen. I'm also not entirely sure about Sonic bouncing when he hits the bottom of the screen after Nack throws the bomb - maybe have the "death" sound play when the bridge gets destroyed and it sends Sonic up a little bit higher, and then he just falls off the screen from there?

Heat haze seems a little bit on the strong side. Looks like you have two layers of it, a "fine detail" layer and a "broad, more wavy" layer. The broad/wavy layer is perhaps a little too broad and wavy? I say this strictly because this is a problem I wrestled with in TFH and I decided that having large waves like that on the foreground layer may mess up how people judge the distance for platforms. Maybe you could move the big wavey layer to the skybox?

The camera shake effect could use some work and it would be nice if there was a rumbling sound to accompany it.

Not entirely sure how I feel about this going back to the left edge of the screen again, even though you're not at the beginning of the level anymore. This is probably the nitpickiest thing I'll say, though.

I noticed in this video that the time readout can be 0' 1" 23

Shouldn't it be 0' 01" 23 ? It'd look nicer, anyway, I think. (Okay, maybe this is the nitpickiest thing I'll say).

20. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Some of the stuff in here are amazing!

Especially Sonic Classic, Hez! Keep it up! I really can't wait for the release!