don't click here

Do you think a Sonic Adventure Remake is a good idea?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Snub-n0zeMunkey, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    What the hell are you talking about TA? You keep bringing up random non-sense.

2. Swearing?. Its like having a debate with kids

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    You aren't debating anyone with anything.
    No one brought up Mega Drive physics.
    No one brought up Saturn graphics.
    Who are you talking to?

4. The usual ones who slag off Sonic Team, the ones who talk of 1 to 1 remakes aren't possible. The ones who can't see to grasp how Shadow Of The Colossus PS4, and Metroid Prime Switch run on completely different engines with completely different polygon budgets, but stay true and completely faithful to the originals.

Maybe I need to swear and slag off the Sonic Team more, to be in the gang and debate.

5. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    Did you read anything I wrote?

6. I did yeah and you make out that just because you use the new tech you can't make a 1 to 1 port of a classic game. That isn't the case at all, overlooking the Nightdive ports of classic games there's been many a remake of a game on a new engine, that stays faithful to the classic game, be that SOC on the PS4 or remakes/remasters like Alan Wake, Black Mesa

7. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    Then let me reiterate what I said with more words, because you seem to have missed the point.

You said that they still have the original source code and that as a result they would be able to make a 1 to 1 port. I pointed out that the source code is useless because they will be using Hedgehog Engine 2.

Porting a game into a new engine is not easy. Let's assume that they still have the source code (they might not!). They'd have to reverse engineer how the original game worked, and then find a way to implement that logic in the new engine. That takes a lot of time and effort.

If there's any constant when it comes to Sonic games, it's that Sega does not want to invest too much time and effort into those projects. Which is why we don't have faith that Sonic Team would be able to make a faithful port.

8. The Source code is not useless as that will contain all the hit points, controls and algorithms, no ZX Spectrum Ocean software developer, filming an Arcade game being played and then trying to map the data. You do not need to reverse engineer, if you have the source code.

9. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    It's useless in the sense that you can't just toss it into Hedgehog Engine 2 and call it a day.
    You do if you want to port it to a new engine, as you'll need to translate the logic to fit it.

10. Not true at all.. if you want to make a 1 to 1 remake. The source code will give all the data you need not just for controls but also for hit values ECT. Did a new engine make Duke Nukem on the Saturn play differently, the same for Quake?

11. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    That's a bad comparison, because engines have evolved to be more than just the bottom layer that talks directly to the hardware. These days they pack in their own physics engines, scripting languages, etc.

Source code is more than data like controls and hit values. It was written a certain way, with certain assumptions. You can't just plug it into an engine that's 20 years younger and expect it to work. You need to port it.

12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Maybe you need to listen to what people are saying instead of whatever your brain tells you is most convenient for them to be saying.

Nobody said "1 to 1 remakes aren't possible" (though there will always be differences, they're just pretty subtle), we are talking about the development trends of a particular developer with an established behavior, and the challenges that developer would face with accomplishing a certain task. Nobody is "slagging off Sonic Team", they are saying that it is unlikely for Sonic Team to do certain things because they know how Sonic Team works.

It would be nice if you could act like an adult and not take any criticism or in this case a mere description of their history is developers as some kind of personal attack. It has repeatedly derailed threads, borders on toxic positivity (and that's being generous) and it is fucking insufferable.

If you can't deal with a conversation that necessarily must contend with the fact that Sonic Team are often not adept at certain things without making up strawmen to get upset about, just don't participate.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    @Team Andromeda I think you should back away from this thread for a bit, you're not listening to anyone else and ARE going off on unrelated tangents.

14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Wait a sec, would you guys want a 1:1 remake or something akin to a reboot? I wouldn't mind a reboot as long as it changes things for the better. Though part of me wants to see them go full ham as well. For example, the Chaotix could make an appearance.

Sonic Team has never fully remade a game, right? If it ever happens, we don't know what's in store for us.

15. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I'm probably reiterating points someone else has already made but: It's 100% correct that you can't just take the old code and slap it in a new engine. But I wouldn't say the original source code is useless, it could certainly be a point of reference for recreation, but that's about it. Though personally I'd hope they wouldn't do that, because Sonic Adventure was janky as hell. And that's what it comes down to for me -- A remake could be great, because it'd give them an opportunity to revisit the setting and story without the janky controls and camera, the technical issues, the clunky translation, etc. I absolutely would not want a 1:1 remake.

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Personally, I've gotten to a point where I think big remakes are only a good idea when you've got a distinct and different vision for the game. There's a lot that a good remaster can do for a game without the risk of a ground-up reimagining, and a recreation down to the last detail tells me you might as well let the original direction speak for itself.

I wish we had something like the Retro engine for the 3D titles, because keeping the same visuals and overall construction while being able to modify almost anything in a modern style would be aces. As it stands, I think both games would look much better to outsiders if they were just rereleased with the shitton of minor QOL improvements and visual fixes I keep installed. Things like people getting lost in the SA1 hubs would be easily remedied with something like a minimap, and the benefit of hindsight makes changes like "don't make me play Heroes four times" and "REALLY don't make me play Shadow ten times" pretty obvious.

Much as people shittalk Sonic Origins (myself included, but really only for it totally ignoring seven important games), it's exactly the kind of thing that the Adventure era should be getting.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
  17. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    You're right.

We need to make people play through Shadow seven times.

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Better yet, ten times

19. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Make Shadow fun to play so going through it multiple times is a treat instead of a chore.

20. aria

aria

growl from the digital haze Member
    i saw soned2 supports chaotix five minutes ago
    I'm thinking that you should have to play every single named route (all 326) in a Shadow the Hedgehog remaster, to unlock a new ending that has huge lore implications for his character and the rest of the series, and the platinum trophy.

But being serious for a sec, I think that QOL improvements could definitely improve the 3D era games. *especially* Shadow, and Heroes, by allowing players to cut out what they're not really into replaying for the fourth time.