don't click here

Contradictions/Lack of Continuity in Sonic games.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mystical Ninja, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    But then we have ourselves the problems. You see, while the games are related, they aren't related enough to, say, Zelda-style streamline. They're all clearly one after another, yes, but they contradict and conflict.

Metal Sonic repeatedly goes back and forth from being a bad guy on the level of Robotnik to a slave to another bad guy. Eggman Nega goes from an alternate reality Eggman to a relative of Eggman. Shadow goes from evil to good to dead to good to evil to good to neutral to nothing at light speed. Omega changes rapidly from being a robot that hates Eggman to a robot that has a purpose to being a robot that hates Eggman.

Sonic 06's story specifically goes in a way that makes it irrelevant, yet at the same time Eggman's change in looks is never explained.

Knuckles goes from evil to good to evil to good to evil to good (mostly because he's gullible) to the extent he gets alternatively stupider to angrier with no real reason.

Gerald has been messed up so thoroughly only a psychiatrist could tell who's side he was on. Not to mention Shadow's past has been confused equally.

The following games generally conflict to a level that, either the later game remakes the earlier game, or perhaps replaces it entirely!

Sonic 1 GG -> Sonic 1
    Sonic 2 GG -> Sonic 2

Chaotix -> Sonic Heroes
    Sonic Adventure 2 -> Shadow the Hedgehog
    Sonic Rush -> Sonic 06

These are just a few major ones. Throughout the series, we also have Time, Sol, and Chaos emeralds, and in one game Super Emeralds, and the Master Emerald, and fake ones too. All of these can't possibly exist, because several games state that only their specific emeralds can really control things.

Then we have a problem. It's been more than 4 years since Little Planet last appeared, yet it apparently hasn't returned. Eggman somehow was diabolical enough to succeed in going back in time and taking that place over---did he magically forget how to fight like that in Sonic Adventure onward?

Various rivalries made in Sonic Adventure 2 are bluntly ignored in Sonic Heroes, even though some of them were never fully resolved. The Ark and Death Eggs contradict one another in that Eggman somehow acts as if the Ark is some master invention, even though he made the Death Egg over and over again. He also for some odd reason never tries to make another Death Egg, except one time recently.

Half the moon is gone, yet in many games we see the full moon. What the heck?

Several games show massive areas being destroyed. Why do we never see them again, after they've been destroyed?

Why does Angel Island constantly change in size?

Why are there no humans in the earlier games, yet tons of them in the later ones?

How is it that ZERO returns in Sonic Advance 3?

Where are the following now? Bean, Nack, Metal Sonic, Bark, Espio, Charmy, Vector, Ray, Mighty, etc.

While there is a loose chronological link between games, I believe that Sonic team makes no real attempt to keep the same 'game world' between them. That is, the entire world and its contents are remade almost every game, and past references only exist so as to show that past events happened, but considering the amount of changes, all the games before (insert current game) could have actually played out differently, considering how in some humans are everywhere, nowhere, somewhere, or such.

2. 16BT

16BT

Drop out boy. Oldbie
    None that regard this place.
    Um, because they've been destroyed?

3. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    You bring up some good points, Metal Man, but:

Shadow the Hedgehog was more of a continuation of the events that happened in Sonic Adventure 2. In SA2, Shadow DID end up finding out about some of his past, but not the whole thing, which is what lead into Sonic Heroes (where he had lost just about all his memory), and Shadow the Hedgehog. Also, as proof of it being a continuation, at the beginning of one of the space levels (Space Gadget, if I remember the name correctly) that looked just like Final Rush/Final Chase from SA2, Sonic says, "Hey, Shadow! Don't you remember? We once raced each other here."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that Sonic Advance 2? To answer the question, though, it's safe to assume that Dr. Robotnik ended up rebuilding him, like he's done with Metal Sonic a couple of times when HE was destroyed.

It wasn't very long ago that Metal Sonic appeared in another game. In fact, he was one of the playable characters in Sonic Rivals. It's the same case with the Chaotix team (except for Mighty), since they were in Shadow the Hedgehog, which wasn't released too long ago.

Aaaaaand... this is officially my last post before being stuck in Pending Approval for a little bit. See you all, until then.

4. See, the way I see it, references to previous games (like Mystical Ninja was talking about a few posts ago) aren't the same as true continuity. The only consecutive Sonic games that displayed what could be considered true continuity, as far as I can tell, were Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, involving everything with the Death Egg. Everything after that has been either totally ignored or retconned with practically each following game, as Metal_Man88 has already elaborated upon. Characters are introduced and promptly forgotten about with reletive regularity. Here's Nack the Weasel, enjoy, you'll never see him again. Mighty the Armadillo, a Chaotix member, you say? Never heard of him. That's not continuity.

5. Shadow MK2

Shadow MK2

They got rid of Mighty because he was way too similar to Sonic, and they used Mighty instead of Sonic in Chaotix because they didn't want to give Sonic a new ability (wall clinging/jumping).

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That's an interesting theory, Mr. Shadow. But do you have any evidence?

7. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    They gave Sonic wall clinging/jumping anyways, in Heroes: the Triangle Jump(or whatever the fuck it's called.) It's just a different form.

8. That doesn't make one ounce of sense. Look at Sonic Adventure. Sonic got scads of new abilities there - the homing attack, the light dash, and so forth. And even more new abilities have been introduced in the games since then. I don't see how "not wanting to give Sonic a new ability" could have had anything to do with it. On top of that, if they wanted to get rid of Mighty because he was "too similar to Sonic," how do you justify Shadow? In Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, he had all the same abilities and statistics as Sonic - Shadow was really nothing more than an alternate skin.

9. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    They made Shadow for the dark story speed levels.

...why they didn't use Good 'ol Metal Sonic is beyond me.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    ...because he was irrelevant to the storyline?

You guys have to realize that the use of characters in these games is based entirely on context. Characters like Mighty or Fang have ALWAYS been specific to those games they were featured in, and only exist for the purpose of serving as cheap fillers. They're NOT major characters, and don't fit in the current storyline of the series, and, as a result, won't be used, as it would only introduce FURTHER inconsistency. The character lineup that exists today ties in with a common bond - the current plot. THAT's why they're in every game and the others aren't.

11. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    S1 - S3K had a strong continuity, SA and SA2 had a strong continuity to each other and a loose continuity to the Genesis games, and SH had a loose continuity to SA2. I regard the GG games as side adventures (they don't really conflict with the Genesis games unless you look at them as being the same game), as well as SCD and KC.

Currently each game seems somewhat self-contained with loose elements of continuity. One way or another, though, there is really no reason to stress over recent continuity.

Personally, I always had plotlines going in my own head with the Genesis games (including S2K), and prefer it that way. The active plot takes something away from the newer games that the older games had, while adding something the older games did not have. If the equation is balanced remains a matter of opinion.

12. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    If you take away the manual then the Genny games don't have a plot. lol
    Except maybe Sonic 3D.

13. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Not really; ShtH seems like it started where SA2 left off (with an obvious gap where nothing interesting happened). Although, the one big problem I have with it is... why the hell is Maria alive in ShtH? Wasn't she killed 50 years before SA2? Or maybe Shadow is just hallucinating? :\

14. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    No, Black Doom somehow took Shadow back into the past, so he could have a chance to take revenge on the G.U.N. soldiers for what they've done.

15. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    SA and SA2 didn't have terribly strong continuity to each other. If anything SA1 had more continuity to the Genesis games than to SA2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.