don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, I think the first picture had more appropriate tails and a better head size, I think I do actually prefer the eyes on this one, though this may only be because I've got quite use to the official artwork rather than the in-game sprites.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Here's another one, keeping his chubbier arms and legs.
    [​IMG]
    Now he does look a bit more like in the ending, but I still think there's something about his head shape... and perhaps his belly too. I'm not sure.

By the way, here's his ending pose in Sonic 2, for reference:
    [​IMG]

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I dunno, I really like that end sprite.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    How come nobody has included the shadow to the left of his right eye? That's a bit of a pressing detail that I'm surprised keeps getting overlooked.

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Nope, I misunderstood what you said.

I'm actually not quite sure what to make of that errant pixel -- is it not just the outline of his muzzle?

6. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Me too, I'd say it's just about perfect.

- I think the position of the mouth is always important. It seems a mouth in the slightest wrong position can change the whole character of the sprite. ICEknight seems to have got the mouth position perfect in that last one. I think it preserves the anime style art that the originals had.

- Shoes also look better, as they are no longer unnaturally pointy.

- Eyes also preserve the anime style now without being excessively wide-eyed.

I don't think he looks too chubby or big headed, I'd say the proportions are spot on.

Excellent work ICEknight and Vincent.

7. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Indeed, it is looking very promising so far. Keep up the good work guys!

8. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    What happened to making it look a HD version of the original? It seems to have drifted from that, and made him look like the extra-sourced art-worked Tails, instead of the in-game look we're supposed to be doing.

So I thought I'd have a shot at doing this myself [far right image]

[​IMG]

- made the eyes rounder, like they should look like as of original image - could even be rounder still

- brought the 'thick' ear back

- added a little more of a 'flick' to the tips of his tails - although I think it might need doing again a little more still

- the eyes and ears on the first one looks *far* closer to the original - which the eyes to me look almost circular, and not oval-shaped.

I'm still not quite happy with it yet, but I'm actually terrible when it comes to doing this the 'proper' way [how you've all done it - I just 'cut corners' with my method]

9. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Apart from his tails, I prefer the previous one. His eyes are way too shiny in the new image. It makes him look like a porcelain doll or something. He looked more like an animal before. I still think the space between his chin and his nose is too vertical, but I don't have much of a problem with that.
    It's probably time to finish Tails and move on to a new sprite. Robotnik in the Egg-mobile would keep people busy for a while, I'm sure.

10. Endgame

Endgame

<!--quoteo(post=185555:date=Mar 26 2008, 11:03 PM:name=87th)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (87th @ Mar 26 2008, 11:03 PM) [​IMG]

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think that "looking better" should be a sligthly higher priority than "looking more like the original", specially since some stuff in the old pixel art was actually made differently when they used a higher resolution.

Take Tails' ears as an example, in the small sprite, they're one-pixel wide and have a one-pixel darker outline so you can see them better in clear backgrounds. If you just make the sprites bigger, those pixels will look way too big and you'll have a dark outline 4 pixels wide, which makes them chocolate covered.

Also, you can see how in the title screen and the ending pose, the eyes and ears don't look anything like that, so unless you want Tails to suddenly change his appearance, this would be the way to go.

If you just want to make it look like the original sprite regardless of the overall quality, you should also remove his mouth and make his shoes flatter.

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    First of all, I want to say every bit of time I spend on reworking frames from the original I have drawn, I believe it's only going to improve it.
    That's only because this is a nest of crazed Sonic fan's perfectionists. And that's great, since I'm too.

Super Sonic for an instance, improved greatly. (from pedosmile one :D)
    but I do believe Tails is getting 2 different paths, which I do not know which one is better. (Even if the second one is closer to my personal original AW)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this I will either: make Knuckles, Eggman or begin working on Sonic frames.

How many frames in total for Sonic (not including rotated ones)?

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    First one is spot on! I do like the second one as well, though.

This is looking awesome. I hope the other frames share the same consistency.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  15. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    First one.
    Are you planning to incorporate "Knuckles in Sonic 2" into this as well, then?

16. Although the first resembles Tails almost identically, the second looks much closer to the sprite it's based on.

17. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Wow being away for 2 weeks makes you miss awesome stuff like this.

In reality, editing Gens to do this is actually pretty damn easy, even with non-matching palettes since Gens itself does limit the palette of the DirectDraw layer. Though I guess it all depends which part you'd want to modify, I'm thinking the part that converts the genesis VDP data into directdraw data.

I may have a shot at doing it... though I'm not a great C++ programmer, if anyone wants to help I can set up a CVS somewhere.

One more thought: How about trying to keep all the HD sprites as vectors that can be rerendered for whichever resolution?

18. Endgame

Endgame

Agreed on both points. While I definitely prefer the look of the first one [out of those 2] with the eyes, the second one is far more like the actual/original sprite [Although I suggest still keeping the very-left of his right 'whisker' to be curly instead of straight].

To quote ICEknight himself:

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    [quote name='The Growler's edit' post='185585' date='Mar 26 2008, 07:39 PM']To quote ICEknight himself:

[/quote]
    I meant that when using your own art style for the sprites (which would make them look amateurish), I'm fine with mimicking the official old artwork when necessary, for stuff that wouldn't look as good otherwise, like in this case.

20. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Judging by the way things are going, it seems easier to keep the style consistent than I originally thought, so I fully approve of the current method.