don't click here

Cancelled Dreamcast game - Geist Force

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Skaarg, Feb 3, 2011.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Assembler.

*sigh*

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh. So they're selling a modified prototype as if it was an official product.

I can hear the preservation of original code going down the toilet.

3. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.

4. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Hopefully not. I think this is just for those that just want an immediate, playable version of this lost game. At least then, there's no worry of having to hard mod their Dreamcast to run the thing.

Great news all around!

5. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    There are two types of people in the world when it comes to prototypes: those who just want to play games, and those who care about the original data. I fall more into the latter group, but there's a significant number of people in the former group. It's really easy to appease both: release both an unaltered version for preservation and a fixed version fro emulation. This is something I noted with the Power Rangers Fighting MD unlicensed game, and we have five different attempted builds of Mr. Nutz 2, with two that were altered to let the game work on real hardware.

The situation with Geist Force is a bit different (this altered disc was originally released as a gift to paying members or something like that). If you want to pull the "wait a while before we release this to the public" thing so you can keep doing that but eventually release the original data then I guess that works...? I guess what I'm trying to say is I understand what's going on here...?

As for the act of modifying a ROM in the first place: this is something that concerns me about prototype documentation: we don't know which prototypes are modified and which are not (except for some outrageous examples). A while ago I was sitting on a Bubba n Stix prototype ROM that's been in ROM sets for ages now that clearly has a header altered by the group Premiere but I can't really tell what was changed (I gave up trying to wrestle with handing an assembler the file IDA spit out so I could find out exactly how many lines of code were cleanly deleted to see if it was really a prototype or an unusually elaborate pirate).

6. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I'll make this brief. There is someone or some group out there that has Resident Evil 1.5, and is planning to release it in two versions. The original, untainted code, and the hacked version that the group is conducting to provide a much more playable version of the prototype for everyone to enjoy.

For the entire scandal topic, check it all out here: http://www.the-horro...I've-screenshots

7. Vangar

Vangar

So does someone have a dump of this 'recreation' ?