don't click here

Brad Buxer and the S3 Mid Boss Theme

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LOst, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Dude, we don't post links like that one since the Brenda Ross avalanche.

EDIT: Thanks.

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Was there an avalanche with Brenda? O.o Poor thing xD! Removed anyway. I just thought it would be interesting to talk with him anyway. They are very accessible, I for example talked with Jun Senoue, not asking or anything just congratulating for his awesome work with Chemical Plant remix <3.

3. dsrb

dsrb

Given the ambiguity of that second “he”, you may not have meant this, but Saori Kobayashi ain't a dude!

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yep, back in last century when I was the one conducting the interviews, I made the mistake of posting Brenda's contact info, without realising that the forums had already become way too popular to be sharing that kind of info. Poor thing, indeed...

5. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Can you get an MP3 or a video link for the invincibility theme? I can't find it anywhere, only Sonic Drift's.

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-

7. E102

E102

"γ" Member
    That "half" you mentioned sounds like the exact conclusion I came to (I call it the S3 half). Angel Island, Marble Garden, Chrome Gadget, Desert Palace and Final Boss all share that same sound, whereas the other half (the S&K half) also shares a common sound in Azure Lake, Mushroom Hill, Flying Battery, Sandopolis, Sky Sanctuary, Death Egg and that game's Act 1 boss theme, which I've likened to Sawada based on how it sounded. The S&K half is much, much stronger than the S3 half connection-wise.

I would have never thought of comparing S3's main theme to S1/S2's like that. Even if he's mistaken about the composer, he still knows more than the rest of us, and he knows for a fact about Ogata's involvement in Sonic Drift, so there's reason for him to be right about S3 as well. The "theme from Sonic Drift" that Ogata composed has to be the Title theme. "Title" and "theme" tend to be interchangeable, isn't that right Sonic?

Going back to the 10th Anniversary CD, we now have one and only one for both Kashima (Special Stage) and Drossin (S&K Title). Combine that with Angel Island's lack of credit as seen in Generations (which I believe is done by Nagao [as I mentioned above], then a former Sega employee) and the S3 main theme (S3 Title) supposedly composed by Masafumi Ogata (who also left Sega by then), and that leaves Sawada with Sky Sanctuary once more. Sky Sanctuary, like every confirmed S3&K track so far, hasn't received a soundtrack release yet, so hopefully an OST for Generations can link Sawada to SS.

Setsumaru only arranging is fine with me, as I've pretty much figured out the extent as to what he arranged: Drossin compositions and All Clear jingles (Setsumaru arranged the Ending for Sonic 3D (MD), which is basically that game's All Clear jingle, and even has the same little bell jingle lead-in at the beginning as both S3 and S&K's.

For anyone not familiar with Sonic Drift 2's music, "those" also refers to this one, which uses the S3&K Act 2 boss theme.

I came to that conclusion myself based on the vibrant style of that and other tracks (Kobayashi) and the no-thrills, near-monotone tracks that were similar to the original game's (Nagao).

Confirming Emerald Ocean is interesting because its inflections are the same as both Emerald Hill and Balloon Panic (Emerald Hill and Balloon Panic also have almost the exact same composition [like Mystic Cave and Quake Cave])

Here's how the inflections in all three basically go (Bear with me on this, I'm no music major, just a good ear)
    1st set: Upward, Upward, Upward
    2nd set: Upward, Upward, high/held Upward
    3rd set: Downward, Downward, Upward to straight
    4th set: Upward, Upward, Upward (Emerald Hill and Emerald Ocean)
    or
    4th set: Upward, Upward, Upward, Upward (Balloon Panic)

8. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Awesome news to me!

The Data Select theme is one of the best there is, and knowing who arranged it (and the responsible for the 45 minutes bug, hehe) is half the secret! I want more information from Setsumaru-san!
    But who was the super composer of the Data Select? This is so damn interesting. We are getting closer to the truth than ever before.

9. Is all the information you know getting wikified? Perhaps there should be a page like "Sonic 3 & Knuckles Soundtrack Confirmed/Well-Supported Credits". You could have a table with information about composer, arrangers, programmers, etc.

10. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    This is from last page, but I just wanted to point out that Aaron Webber mentioned during one of the demos of Generations that he did (might have been Gamespot?) that he spoke to one of the members of Cash Cash and that he was a huge fan who grew up with the games and was responsible for the Endless Mine part of the song.

11. E102

E102

"γ" Member
    Pretty sure that's just referring to the vocals and actual remixing and nothing else. That sounds like the generic, nonspecific-type of interview done for the sake of publicity where nothing we wouldn't already know is revealed.

I'm saying that the idea to pair the two songs had to be Senoue's since there are other examples of this in Generations that are definitely his. Because of this, there's reason to relate them to Senoue now, especially considering how similar they are. To be honest, Senoue was who I originally thought did Endless Mine back in '05 just because the start was similar to Escape from the City and It Doesn't Matter (SA2 Version). Just has that same vibe, you know?

12. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    What is this 45 minute bug?

13. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    You need to leave the Data Select screen on for about 45 minutes, and some instruments in the music get screwed.

14. It was actually I who spoke to Setsumaru, and he never actually said outright that he had anything to do with Sonic 3's data select, just Sonic Jam's. I gave him the link of Data Select and he said this. " No, that's not my song. I just remixed that song on SonicJam. I wrote some musics for Sonicjam. Sonic world and Opening Movie"

Since he did not bring up any songs from Sonic 3, I believe he did not compose anything for the game, only arranged and programmed. This is similar to Tokuhiko Uwabo, who told me he did no musical compositional work, he only assigned and contracted the sound team. So you can mark them two off the list of who actually composed music for Sonic 3. I'm also in talks with one of MJ's sound team members, but I'll hold up until I get more info from him. If I get nothing back (like I have with Uwabo and Setsu, it's been months since they responded), then I'll just post whatever I currently know.

15. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Good job on getting in contact with both Tokuhiko Uwabo and Setsumaru! I am looking forward hearing more from you when you get more information :)

So right now, I think it looks like the actual "music composers" in the Sonic 3 credits did the job, and it is very rare to find anyone in the (then called) Sega Sound Team that composed anything. And most of the composers had connections to MJ?

16. But the thing is? I think I scared them away somehow, or maybe just the Japanese are hard to deal with. I dunno. :P I did not mention MJ at all to anybody, so it's not that. I'm debating on if I should release the small info I got from one of MJ's sound members now, or wait because if I release it now, people would want more, and I dunno if he got scared off again.
    It all boils down to MJ somehow. It seems like it's a very dangerous topic for people to talk about, and that only makes it more interesting to investigate!

The guys who did musical work for Sonic 3 were Sachio Ogawa, Yoshiaki "Milpo" Kashima (one song we can confirm ~ the special stage), Tatsuyuki Maeda (listed SFX and music on his old WaveMaster page), Tomonori Sawada, Jun Senoue, and MJ and his team. Remove MJ and his team and replace them with Howard (the small new jingles only, no level themes) and you got the composers for S&K. Tokuhiko Uwabo MAY have contacted MJ and/or his team, since he "assigned, oversaw, and contracted the sound team." Masayuki Nagao and Masaru Setsumaru (SFX too) seemed to have only done the Act 2 arrangements. (for the non-MJ tracks, since their Act 2's are extremely similar to Act 1) THEN you have the other entity's listed other "Special sound thanks".

-Cube Corp. - According to their website, they did 8 songs. Allegedly, it was a female composer, Miyoko Takaoka, who did them all.
    -Opus Corp. - Masayuki Nagao did not join them until AFTER Sonic 3! So whatever Opus had to do with Sonic 3, it wasn't through Nagao. More mystery, yay!
    -Masanori Nakayama - I have nooo idea who this is. Not a composer, because I can not find any info of this guy at all. No previous or future musical work, unlike all the others.

Who I really wanna ask is the Sound Project Coordinator, Hisaki Nimiya. I assume he'd be able to settle a few rumors. And allegedly, he lived or still does live in America, so I assume the language barrier would not be as strong as it is with the others. Tatsuyuki Maeda and Sachio Ogawa still work for SEGA/WaveMaster, but Takenobu Mitsuyoshi told me he can't give their e-mails to me, because of this.

BTW, wasn't it you, LOst, you contacted Yoshiaki "Milpo" Kashima way back? If so, would it be possible to contact him again or no? We're never gonna learn more if we don't ask. Then again, asking too much scares them away for some reason. And SEGA has made it clear to it's employees from that era, to not speak of any of this. I tweeted Jun a question, asking him if Angel Island Zone was his, and he said he wasn't allowed to speak on that.

P.S Do you guys just want me to release the one paragraph I got from Cirocco, or wait to see if I get more?

17. sonicthesnot

sonicthesnot

It's too bad so many of these former SEGA members are unwilling (or unable) to talk about Sonic 3. I exchanged many emails with one of the Sonic 2 sound guys and he was always more than willing to answer all my questions in great detail. I can't imagine posting Cirrico's reply here would hurt, as long as we all agree to NOT contact Cirrico. Funny thing is, I actually considered contacting him myself via Facebook but never got around to it.

18. Well, it's nothing we did not know before, but rather a new perspective. And I am only reluctant because I wanna get as much info as possible, and release it all in one post. I'll wait another day or two to see if he responds to my last question, and if not I'll just release it here. It's only a few sentences anyways.

And BTW, have you still got those e-mails? And to whom were they too? We know that Yukifumi Makino did all the SFX, and that Hiroshi Kubota did the demos-to-Genesis conversion, but what exactly did Yoshiaki Kashima, Izuho Takeuchi, Sachio Ogawa, Masaru Setsumaru, and Masayuki Nagao do? I mean, that's basically half of Sonic 3's sound team as well. Maybe Ham can ask Nagao about his exact involvement, since he's in contact.

P.S. I wonder why they brought in a Game Arts/Mecano Associates music/sound programmer to do exactly that for Sonic 2? Tomoyuki Shimada was not involved with Sonic before or since. Strange.

19. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Hahaha. You are not the first one.

You don't scare them talking about MJ. You scare them when you bring up Sonic 3.

How can this be true? It is true because the subject "MJ" is simular to the subject "weather". You can always talk about weather with someone, and the same applies to MJ. Sonic 3 however has some dark hidden secret, possibly someone got killed or raped.

I have lost Bobby Brooks and Doug Grigsby III by just saying "Sonic". But when I mentioned MJ, they were still replying. So be warned people! ;)

20. Oh? You had contact with Bobby and Doug? Huh...
    But yeah! It's as IF they're covering something up. They say one thing about it, then you never hear anything from them again. Like, IT'S A OLD GAME! I understand if SEGA wants it's hush for legal reasons, but still.. We all know MJ was apart of Sonic 3, that's no secret. All this mystery surrounding this, only brings up more interest. It's the Streisand effect at work. haha Somebody will eventually spill the beans someday, I hope.