don't click here

Best Mega Drive Harware/set-up

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by doc eggfan, Jan 2, 2012.

1. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    Some of the songs on YouTube, at least the ones I listened to, were off and they were from emulators. I guess 32X emulation isn't up there with Genesis emulation yet.

Here are some more examples from Virtua Racing Deluxe.
    Replay Theme 8MB
    Result Theme 3MB
    Demo Theme 3MB

And one of the best Game Over themes EVER! :v:
    Game Over 535KB

And thank you so much for mirroring the Chaotix OST. It's much appreciated.

2. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    The drumming is probably off in emulators due to them not emulating write times correctly :/ I notice sometimes the game misses crashes (Midnight Greenhouse, I think, has a noticeable example after the bridge). I know timing is still a big mystery (and add the 32X's complexity and hardware undocumentedness (yes I know that sounds wrong) and you have the reason there isn't a good 32X emulator now).

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Don't forget that emulators cheat massively and instead of emulating the PWM hardware properly they just do a quick hack to fake a PCM channel that's tuned specifically for Chaotix's drums... by ear.

4. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    Oh wow. I didn't know that. So basically, they would use one of the Chaotix tracks I recorded or another proper reference and try to sync the faked PCM channel with the rest? Yep, 32X emulation still has a way to go. Thanks for the info, Sik. :)

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Sorta, they do use the PWM data (so e.g. if you hack in new drums in Chaotix they will sound "properly"), but the algorithm used has nothing to do with what real hardware does. It works because all official 32X games using PWM used Sega's method for rendering waveforms, but this has issues with some 32X homebrew *coughchillywillycough* that handles PWM differently.

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

So anyway, as with my previous comments about the changes in quality from RGB signal to CBVS using my Stereo jack RGB cable, I decided to take some photos to show the difference. I've looked around, got some good answers which unfortunately didn't seem to help me from Meat Miracle, and now I think the only way to solve my problem is to one day buy a new TV.

Auto/Mix/RGB Signal Set up
    [​IMG]

CBVS Signal set up
    [​IMG]

You can see that whilst the RGB signal looks perfect, there's some horrid distortion at the top of the screen which no matter what settings you change, stays. The CBVS signal however washes out things, gives them some random shadow effects, but eliminates the distortion (and looks kinda retro).

Wierd, huh? Anyone got any ideas which don't involve me opening something up? I'm quite interested- surely all RGB cables are similar/the same, so I don't get why the MegaDrive spazzes out, when the Wii, Gamecube, DVD player and Xbox work fine. I know it's the TV because others don't do it, but would love to know why, when every other console works well.

7. dsrb

dsrb

So, the MD and TV work fine in combination with others and only exhibit this artefact together? That is weird. Colour me also interested if there's any explanation.
    Also, geez, CVBS blows

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Awesome, thanks!

And speaking of recording directly from hardware, has anybody tried recording the tracks from the oldest prototype running on a real MD? It might fix at least some of the sound bugs we're getting from emulators.