don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    Thanks! But I don't know what the heck it means when the guide says "Now run split.bat". Any help there?
    EDIT: Okay, so what does that do? I can't seem to open any of the project files in SonED2, even after running that.

2. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

Fear the wrath of my ∫! Ha ha ha! Member
    London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    <!--quoteo(post=216440:date=Aug 14 2008, 08:14 PM:name=Phoenix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phoenix @ Aug 14 2008, 08:14 PM) [​IMG]

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'd love to say something here, but all that can come to mind for me is this:

<-

(It may be a good idea to rename it to split.txt or something to prevent undesired activation after working on art and stuff. Running it again will take the art and stuff from the original game and overwrite your old work.)

4. Phoenix

Phoenix

Two things:
    One: I don't know why SonED2 still won't work, should I have it running while I run split.bat, or should I have the ROM in the file with the split disassembly? Maybe Split.bat should be in the quickman disassembly and not the hivebrain?

Two:
    Or maybe just delete it? Because I can't change file extensions with this version of WinXP(whoopee, I gots a Dell).

5. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    I've done whatever in SonED2, saved the .SEP file, then ran 'split.bat'.
    Are you sure you have the correct project files? Download.
    Again, I refer you to the picture in my last post. The folder named 'project' contains Quickman's project files that are compactible with the split disassembly and SonED2. 's1.bin' is the original Sonic 1 ROM. If it still doesn't work, then I don't know.

6. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Hivebrain's 2005 disassembly of Sonic 1 comes with split.bat. Make sure you have a ROM of Sonic the Hedgehog (REV00) in the same folder, named s1.bin.
    Dell isn't to blame here, it's the default for all versions of Windows XP, as far as I can tell (and even other versions of Windows — I think Windows 98 did this too). Open any folder, Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix

So, let me get this straight: Have the Quickman and Hivebrain disassembly files in the same folder? And thanks again, FraGag, I had no idea about that before. I thought it was just the version of XP Dell uses (as I've heard from a true computer geek that they use a different one).

8. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    Yes. The Quickman Project files go inside the Hivebrain Disassembly as a folder called 'Project'. Also, when using SonED2, remember to combine artnem\8x8ghz1.bin and artnem\8x8ghz2.bin into one file called 8x8ghz.bin inside the artnem folder (not to be confused with artnem_u).

9. Phoenix

Phoenix

Thanks for the help! And finally:

how would I combine them? Is it a function of SonED2?

10. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    it's for SonED2.

All you have to do is open both of the uncompressed files. Copy the contents of 8x8ghz2.bin using a hex editor, and paste them after the end of 8x8ghz1.bin. Save the file as 8x8ghz.bin and compress it in the nemesis format.

Change the references in your asm file and bam. Merged art.

Remember, the title screen will still be using 8x8ghz2.bin, unless you made it point to something else.

11. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    Bear with me a second here folks. Im trying a spot of editing using SonMapEd, so I thought I'd start with something small like the Life Icon in the bottom left of the screen. I'm using Chimpo's guide as a sort of reference, but I can't find the Sprite Mappings for the Life Icon. I know theres an extensive list here which works fine and well for the other objects, but where can I find the Mappings for this particular sprite ?

12. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    The life icon is part of the HUD, so mappings apply to the whole HUD (Score, Time, Rings and the life icon). Due to the way the HUD works, you can't use the HUD mappings with the life icon art. You'll have a hard time dealing with the HUD mappings in SonMapEd unless you create your own art file. For reference, the HUD is object $21.

13. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I seem to have stuffed up the level select in my hack. When I press A+Start on the title, the screen turns red and the music fades out. I have no idea what could have caused this. The only recent changes I have made to my Sonic 2 disassembly is a small hack that loads a different palette based on a byte (It doesn't seem to work though, or maybe Kega fails at "patch codes").

Edit: Problem solved, thanks shobiz. Apparently my level select had a bad checksum... or not. *shot*

14. Having some trouble with objects...
    When I get to them they appear and everything...but if I go off screen and come back again, they're gone. Any idea what can be causing this? It happens in all the levels, and I'm working with s1 in this case =P

15. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Make sure the "Remember sprite state" flag is set for badniks and the like. If other objects disappear, you might have done something wrong with the object engine.

16. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I am well and truly lost. I am trying to start a hack and tried to disassemble Sonic 1. I have followed the guides, and looked around this topic for a similar problem but found nothing.

Basically, I open a .sep file after I have run split.bat, and everything is black, and the status box is giving me an array of 'insertfilenamehere.bin not found'. Also, my folder looks completely different to screenshot on the previous page - I don't have nearly as many folders. What am I doing wrong?

17. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    You must have a ROM of Sonic 1 REV00 in the same folder as split.bat. The file must be named s1.bin. When it's done, run split.bat again.

18. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    I was having that problem earlier. If you're using SonED2, it's because the version of SonED2 has a bug. I got the fixed version on the retro wiki page. Strangely, the one in the SonED2 thread says it's fixed, but it wasn't when I downloaded it.

19. Twilight

Twilight

Michigan
    A Sonic the Hedgehog hack
    1. How do I remove the snowboard that's at the beginning of Ice Cap Act 1?

2. How do I use the leftover Sonic 2 menu to enable the level select?

I'm working on a Sonic the Hedgehog 3 beta remake and these are questions that need answers. For question #2, I want to play sounds 19, 65, 09, and 17 to enable the level select, like in Sonic 2.

20. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I've searched the forums for an answer to this and can't find one. I'm using the original SonED to open Sonic CD PC, however everytime I load up SONICCD.EXE SonED opens an error window, then closes. Does anyone have a solution?