don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I know that PlaneEd needs a command but I'm saying my attempts to put one in don't work. Then again it may be because I'm not using command prompt right since I'm knew to using it manually. Anyone familiar with setting this up?

2. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Drag and drop your txt file to planED. The txt file has to be in the root of where all the files and folders are necessary, and make sure all the locations are correct in the txt file.(And of course make sure the right files are being loaded) Also I think there is already a txt file for the titlescreen with the download, maybe the special stage results too but I'm not sure.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Tried all of that, all I get is an error message. I once got it working with the Open With right click option, for some reason however that won't recongnise PlaneEd anymore.

4. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Whenever you try to select an application in Windows's Open With dialog and the application doesn't show up in the list, delete the registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\application.exe (where application.exe is the name of the application, e.g. PlaneEd.exe). This problem usually happens when the application is put there (e.g. by selecting it from the Open With dialog) and later on is moved or deleted.

If you're trying to drop one of the examples that comes with PlaneEd, you have to move it to the root of a disassembly folder first.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I've got the files where I want, it worked fine until that problem occured.

Where exactly would this folder be? I can't find it anywhere.

6. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Run regedit.exe, you should find it easily. Delete only the PlaneEd.exe "folder" under Applications.

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Okay fixed. Thank you very much.

Found those title screen files. They handle pretty much everything but what I want. Anyone know exactly where the mappings for the character title animations are? I can't find them listed anywhere.

8. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    (I'm Sodaholic. Waiting to see how the admins respond, I PM'd them about merging my accounts)

Anyway, thanks for the response. How would I go about reverting ReadySonic's Sonic mappings to be compatible with ones generated by SonMapEd? I don't know where to look in the assembly code to have it accept normal mappings. Certainly not "Sonic.asm" or "Sonic - Dynamic Gfx script.asm", but rather, I need to know where to go to have it accept unlabeled mappings in the first place. Any pointers of how I could do this would be helpful.

The other two questions don't really matter as much as this. I hate using REV00, and I just need to get ReadySonic instead to accept my work.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    If you want to be able to use SonMapEd to edit the mappings without worrying about labels, you'd have to make a copy of the label before the include line, and replace all references to Sonic's mapping frames to their numerical IDs instead of the labels. Or redefine those labels in the constants file as constant numbers.

10. Nostalgia Ninja

Nostalgia Ninja

Night and day become one and two worlds come toget Member
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Mastering SonED2 With Assembly guides Vol. 1
    Is it possible to get music from other ROMS and place them in Sonic's Sounds list. I know how to manipulate the sounds, but I want to grab an external ROM's Music (Puyo Tsuu: Sound08) and replace Sonic 1: Mus86 - SBZ.bin

Thanks for any help.

11. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I looked in constants.asm, and all I could find was this:
    Code (Text):
    1. vram_sonic: equ $F000   ; Sonic graphics
    I assume that's the VRAM position for the tile data, which doesn't have much to do with mappings. Mind if I have a specific filename and line number of where I'm supposed to rename the labels to the equivalent numbers?

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The labels are in _maps/Sonic.asm, at the end:
    Code (Text):
    1. fr_Null:    equ (ptr_MS_Null-Map_Sonic)/2       ; 0
    2. fr_Stand:   equ (ptr_MS_Stand-Map_Sonic)/2      ; 1
    3. fr_Wait1:   equ (ptr_MS_Wait1-Map_Sonic)/2      ; 2
    4. ...
    5. fr_WaterSlide:  equ (ptr_MS_WaterSlide-Map_Sonic)/2 ; $57

13. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Problem with this is, I cannot edit the mappings themselves outside of anything but SonMapEd. It appears that I would have to do this every time I generate new mappings. SonMapEd overwrites the entire file every time one saves it using SonMapEd. I need some sort of one-time solution that I can fix something outside of the mappings themselves, and never bother with this problem again.

Still, though, thank you for helping out.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The solution is to copy the labels from the mappings file to constants.asm and change them to = 0, = 1, etc.

15. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Okay, so I tried adding this to the end of the file, but I'm still screwing this up somehow. By the way, thanks for being patient with my cluelessness. :P

Map_Sonic:

fr_Null= 0
    fr_Stand= 1
    fr_Wait1= 2
    fr_WaterSlide= $57

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The ... was standing in for all the other labels between fr_Wait1 and fr_WaterSlide. Find them in an unedited copy of the mappings file. Then put Map_Sonic: before the line include "_maps\Sonic.asm" in the main asm file, and SonicDynPLC: before the line include "_maps\Sonic - Dynamic Gfx script.asm".

This is why I don't like hacking Sonic 1.

17. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    EDIT: If you give up on this, I don't blame you.

I know. I put it there for the same purpose, to not have the post be larger than really necessary. I had all of them to begin with. I may be an idiot when it comes to hacking, but I'm not that stupid. :)

Like this?

Map_Sonic:
    include "_maps\Sonic.asm"
    SonicDynPLC:
    include "_maps\Sonic - Dynamic Gfx script.asm"

I apologize if I'm frustrating you...

It still doesn't seem to be working. Here's the errors.txt file, if you feel it necessary to figure out what the problem is.

SN 68k version 2.53

D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_INCOBJ\25 & 37 RINGS.ASM(374) : Error : Branch (134 bytes) is out of range
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_INCOBJ\59 SLZ ELEVATORS.ASM(10) : Warning : Forward reference to redefinable symbol
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_INCOBJ\5A SLZ CIRCLING PLATFORM.ASM(10) : Warning : Forward reference to redefinable symbol
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_INCOBJ\5B STAIRCASE.ASM(10) : Warning : Forward reference to redefinable symbol
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_INCOBJ\5E SEESAW.ASM(10) : Warning : Forward reference to redefinable symbol
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_INCOBJ\(MERCURY) SONIC EFFECTS.ASM(29) : Error : Symbol 'obinstashield' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_INCOBJ\(MERCURY) SONIC EFFECTS.ASM(200) : Error : Illegal value (524287)
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_INCOBJ\(MERCURY) SONIC EFFECTS.ASM(202) : Error : Illegal value (524287)
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_INCOBJ\(MERCURY) SONIC EFFECTS.ASM(204) : Error : Illegal value (524287)
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_INCOBJ\(MERCURY) SONIC EFFECTS.ASM(206) : Error : Illegal value (524287)
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_INCOBJ\(MERCURY) SONIC EFFECTS.ASM(208) : Error : Illegal value (524287)
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(140) : Error : Symbol 'fr_spindash1' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(140) : Error : Symbol 'fr_spindash2' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(140) : Error : Symbol 'fr_spindash1' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(140) : Error : Symbol 'fr_spindash3' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(140) : Error : Symbol 'fr_spindash4' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(140) : Error : Symbol 'fr_spindash5' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(140) : Error : Symbol 'fr_spindash6' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(155) : Error : Symbol 'fr_balanceforward1' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(155) : Error : Symbol 'fr_balanceforward2' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(155) : Error : Symbol 'fr_balanceforward3' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(155) : Error : Symbol 'fr_balanceforward4' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(157) : Error : Symbol 'fr_balanceback1' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(157) : Error : Symbol 'fr_balanceback2' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(157) : Error : Symbol 'fr_balanceback3' not defined
    D:\GENDEV\RSONICHACK\_ANIM\SONIC.ASM(157) : Error : Symbol 'fr_balanceback4' not defined

Assembly completed.
    25 error(s) from 55523 lines in 0.33 seconds

Here's the very end of the constants file.

; Sonic Mappings
    fr_Null= 0
    fr_Stand= 1
    fr_Wait1= 2
    fr_Wait2= 3
    fr_Wait3= 4
    fr_LookUp= 5
    fr_Walk11= 6
    fr_Walk12= 7
    fr_Walk13= 8
    fr_Walk14= 9
    fr_Walk15= $A
    fr_Walk16= $B
    fr_Walk21= $C
    fr_Walk22= $D
    fr_Walk23= $E
    fr_Walk24= $F
    fr_Walk25= $10
    fr_Walk26= $11
    fr_Walk31= $12
    fr_Walk32= $13
    fr_Walk33= $14
    fr_Walk34= $15
    fr_Walk35= $16
    fr_Walk36= $17
    fr_Walk41= $18
    fr_Walk42= $19
    fr_Walk43= $1A
    fr_Walk44= $1B
    fr_Walk45= $1C
    fr_Walk46= $1D
    fr_Run11= $1E
    fr_Run12= $1F
    fr_Run13= $20
    fr_Run14= $21
    fr_Run21= $22
    fr_Run22= $23
    fr_Run23= $24
    fr_Run24= $25
    fr_Run31= $26
    fr_Run32= $27
    fr_Run33= $28
    fr_Run34= $29
    fr_Run41= $2A
    fr_Run42= $2B
    fr_Run43= $2C
    fr_Run44= $2D
    fr_Roll1= $2E
    fr_Roll2= $2F
    fr_Roll3= $30
    fr_Roll4= $31
    fr_Roll5= $32
    fr_Warp1= $33
    fr_Warp2= $34
    fr_Warp3= $35
    fr_Warp4= $36
    fr_Stop1= $37
    fr_Stop2= $38
    fr_Duck= $39
    fr_Balance1= $3A
    fr_Balance2= $3B
    fr_Float1= $3C
    fr_Float2= $3D
    fr_Float3= $3E
    fr_Float4= $3F
    fr_Spring= $40
    fr_Hang1= $41
    fr_Hang2= $42
    fr_Leap1= $43
    fr_Leap2= $44
    fr_Push1= $45
    fr_Push2= $46
    fr_Push3= $47
    fr_Push4= $48
    fr_Surf= $49
    fr_BubStand= $4A
    fr_Burnt= $4B
    fr_Drown= $4C
    fr_Death= $4D
    fr_Shrink1= $4E
    fr_Shrink2= $4F
    fr_Shrink3= $50
    fr_Shrink4= $51
    fr_Shrink5= $52
    fr_Float5= $53
    fr_Float6= $54
    fr_Injury= $55
    fr_GetAir= $56
    fr_WaterSlide= $57

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Does anyone know how to edit the size of the character's collision in Sonic 1 (eg. so they can touch objects from a smaller or larger radius).

19. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Quoting this to bring attention to it, since I ran it off into the previous page. I don't like taking priority over others, makes me feel guilty.

20. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Should be $16(a0) for vertical and $17(a0) for horizonzal radius, as seen here.