don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    I always saw it as a green ball with a face inside another ball. I'm not saying that it being a turtle is completely out of the question, but all the other turtles have the ability to fly without the need of a separate piece of machinery, that is if it really IS separate, but that's for another time. And if it were one of the flightless turtles, why isn't it just riding the back of the big ones like the other little turtles?

And don't give me that "budget cuts" bullshit either... :colbert:

2. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Because the other little turtles aren't equipped to drop spikey balls on your head ;)

3. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I think the green part should have a shell pattern, to really make it like a robo turtle inside a flying orb machine. Like the eye pattern added to Cerulean Night's Aquatic Ruin fly badnik.

4. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    I'll add the pattern later when I convince myself that it actually IS a turtle, or the next edit, depends whichever comes first.

Remade the arm again, added a "cuff" to the edge of the hand, and fixed a little bump on the hat that was really bothering me.

[​IMG]

...Wouldn't we see a snout or something covering the left eye if it was a turtle, like it does on the Turtloid?

5. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    shouldn't we be able to see more of the turtle's face than what you have? And you are going to shade it, right?

6. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I'm really not seeing this turtle. If there were a nose on the original sprite, the shading would be wrong.

Can't we consider the possibility that it's a robot like Orbinaut and not actually meant to look like a particular animal?

7. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    1st. His is based off the official artwork, not the sprite.
    2nd. He did shade it, but he was told to get back to working with the basic shapes first by staff.

I never saw it as being a turtle because of his proportions and lack of a texture on the "shell".
    To me he looked like a large plump insect. Like a beetle or something of the sort with an exoskeleton.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah... that's exactly what I was thinking, by looking at both the sprite and the artwork. Also, the "concept doodle" in the booklet just has its head drawn like a circle with two eyes...

His original name "Potosu/Potos" derives from a plant, so perhaps it's supposed to be some kind of flying bug that usually infests plants.

I remind seeing generic bugs in various mangas and anime being depicted as a simple round shape with big eyes and small wings on top. The concept for the Nebulas might just be based on those.

9. I would focus in getting the shape right first before you add details like texture. Pardon me, but unless this is a VERY early sketch it really needs a complete overhaul. The shape, proportions and volume are nothing similar to the original and look incredibly bland. I say scrap that and start over. I really know I sound like a terrible curmudgeon, but I really do think it will save you time in the long run. I like what you've done in the past especially the chicken, but that's just how I feel about this one.

10. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Well, Gambit suggested having the Nebula base closed at first, then opened when Sonic gets close to it, and I liked that idea. That's the main reason as to why the proportions are different. Here's a picture to better explain what I mean:

[​IMG]

The left side is the current base. The right side is the base that is close to the proportions of the original sprite, and they both don't have all the fancy stuff added. Now, for the current base, when closed it looks circular and secured. The ones with the sprite proportions looks uneven lacking the protective structure the current base has. It just looks like it 'floats' there. Obviously it's under the...thing inside the base, that's just how it's shown since we don't really see the actual Nebula creature.

That is why the proportions don't currently match the sprite. Any questions?

11. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I wouldn't mind if you steal the base shape from my sketch up there. :3

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    He didn't mention the sprites anywhere in his post...

13. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    It's what it felt like he was implying since what I have so far matches the concept art a bit.

If he wasn't talking about the sprite, then my bad.

14. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    How about instead of it opening—as in seperating apart vertically—why not just have the top part retract, err, shrink into what we see in the original sprite? That would fix the proportion problem, and get rid of the rediculously large top piece.

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I like the nebula, but a bit like south park? In the eyes? Or Its just me.
    I have a rexon, started it ages ago, its from Hilltop:
    [​IMG]
    The Big Base highlight needs great smoothing! I also need to refine the neck ball, and I need to create that orb thingy.
    EDIT:
    a quick old one for you to taste:
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...st&p=202749

EDIT 2:
    Better!
    [​IMG]

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't remember their shots being that color... Didn't they use the same dynamic palette from the lava?

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Well, thats all I got from the database. I'll look into it.
    I cant really remember what colour they are from memory.

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yes.

[​IMG]

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Ah, thats different. I'll use that, then.

20. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Okay, I THINK I found a fair compromise.

[​IMG]

I'm going through multiple ways on how to make this work without having to skew the actual Nebula down too much, because as it is the Nebula won't fit all the way in when it is closed.

And no, I'm not making the hat shrink for when I do the animation, for metal just doesn't suddenly shrink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.