don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vijay

Vijay

Hi,

Let me know what your views are on the vector of Dr Eggman. I'm sure if you guys like this, there's more where this came from and I'd be happy to help out where ever possible.

Thanks,

Vijay

[​IMG]

2. Wow, very cool. You got the windshield gradient and everything! Now I think it just needs more texture. I like what you did on the piece with the black and yellow stripe, but the rest of the metal at this point still looks like a set of gradients, not actual metal. Perhaps, some tarnish or rust in places would look good. Also, I'm not sure that I like how you've outlined the gray sections near the hammer. Since it's come this far, though, I think it'd be great to see what you can improve with the finer touches. I'd love to see the other sprites you have planned as well!

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Fantastic!
    If you'll make some corrections it'll be what it takes to be included to the project database.

Some suggestions:

-Try avoid automatic gradients, and final output must be 4X the original as written in our Contributors Guideline
    -The central metal part was dithered due palette limitations on the MD, and didn't intend a different material
    -Insert this Eggman inside the cabin to check an optimal non-clashing shading system.

We are looking forward your work. :)

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    If I can interject here, I really, really like his Eggman, probably more than I like the one that Vincent did. Is it possible that we could get a full version of his and use that instead?

5. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Besides the boss vehicle, I liked this Eggman as well, but as it is now it needs to met the set "characters shading system" before being accepted.

Remember however, that my Eggman's is Conceptual, so there is no problem if a volunteer wants to officially apply for Eggman's frames!

6. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Wow, that's coming along fantastic Vijay!

The three things that make me prefer Vijay's eggman are:

- The long fuzzy shape of the moustache is more faithful to retro eggman
    - The browner colour also
    - And the hunch back for when he's driving his flying egg thingy

As Vincent said though, it does need to be touched up in order to meet our current style of added in-between shades.

As others said, the vehcile itself is coming along great. Have a read of our contribution guidelines, instead of using gradients filters try to go for added in-between shades.

Great work once again :)

7. I know we have the shading guideline, I still think it could look fine as is with the right textures applied. :P

8. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
  9. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I agree this Eggman needs a bit more detail but otherwise this is just fucking awesome.
    Hopefully you will contribute more to the project Vijay, as your work is drop dead gorgeous.

10. LimeiBook86

LimeiBook86

Artist Member
    <!--quoteo(post=203078:date=Jun 28 2008, 03:42 AM:name=Sonica)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonica @ Jun 28 2008, 03:42 AM) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Vijay

Vijay

Thanks for the reply guys!
    This forum is totally cool, and not to say a great place to see some talented artists come together to work on a great project such as SONIC HD!

I will hopefully look at reworking Eggman and hopefully have that in accordance to the guidelines. Watch this space.

Thanks once again for all your kind comments!

^_^

Vijay

12. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
  13. burpingcat

burpingcat

I'm surprised that nobody has pointed this out already, but that Robotnik looks way too "Flash animation" to me. All I see is gradients trying to pass for shading. It doesn't work. I don't want to call it lazy, since I don't know how much work you put into it...but it definitely falls flat. It appears more "generated" than "created", if you know what I mean. About the only thing that looks interesting is the flames, and that could still use some work.

14. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Good to have you back Drex. About Sonica, we should have something worked out behind the scenes with him hopefully.

LimeiBook86, good job on the updated Asteron :)

15. STE

STE

16. Vijay

Vijay

17. Vijay, be sure to keep the texture on the metal after you redraw the shades. I think it looks awesome.

18. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I'm kind of torn, because while I love this new vector Eggman, Vincent's version seems more authentic, more like something Sonic Team would have made. I guess it depends what kind of aestetic you want, while vincent's eggman seems more... accurate, this new one is very stylized.

19. Jenna

Jenna

Yeah, I'm that sexy. Oldbie
    America
    level layouts, life
    I am really liking the looks of this. It keeps within the original feel of the art, but offers improvements that just aren't/weren't possible on a Genesis. I'm not sure I like the gradients on the hammer though.

20. Vijay

Vijay

Hi Guys,

I've had some time to knock together a watered down version to the one I did previously, toning down the gradients etc.

Thanks to al those that have replyed to my post, its been helpful in getting me motivated in getting this bashed out.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Vijay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.