don't click here

Assembler games member has Sonic xtreme POV stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Spinksy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Of course, but the function names are very high-level, and they would also be in a primitive state, given the relatively small amount of time between the complete source tree we have and the header files.

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    From what I've seen from what Jollyroger has sent my way there are a lot of textures. Most of which are from the levels shown at E3. There are also a lot of new textures for a level set that has never ever been seen publicly.
    I can not answer this question 100% accurately though , as JR had created a tool to sort out .pcx textures that were duplicates of textures we previously had in the HXC leak from a few years ago. ( the HXC leak would be the version of the engine with the path code)
    There may be other file types including conceptual art or music that have not been shared because they are in another format and the tool skipped over them. I guess we may have to wait for JR to check into this for us.

So yeah recap, (As far as I know) most textures we have are from this older set of levels shown at E3 in this video here:
    http://youtu.be/qdBKq7o6RTE

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Actually there is one piece of concept art that has shown up as a .pcx file , it looks like a new work from Fei Cheng, its a rendered version of the Tunnel shown in that E3 96 video.
    The environment is much simpler than his usual works so it could be by someone else. Who knows ....

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Okay guys ! I got the go ahead to show you something new here !
    The render which I was speaking about above.

[​IMG]

I have also identified the textures used in the actual game version of the tunnel,(not the render) its actually a cork texture that shipped with 3ds max 4 I believe.
    Whoever edited it squashed it than applied a photoshop lighting effect to the cork texture lol. I'll show the texture when I can. and show the original version as well.

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    So they actually built the entire tunnel stage to get the baked lighting for the texture, then re-built it for the in-game version?

The tunnel is super small, but that's kind of surprising they went through that much effort for what was assumedly a test-stage.

6. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    No they did not build the stage to get baked lighting .
    They applied the lighting to the center of a single texture with photoshop's lighting filter. I have the same version of photoshop they used to confirm the trick a few years ago.
    This is the tunnel I have recreated using videos a few years back. the layout is exactly the same as the def file layout ( excluding the hanging rocks), If anyone is wondering, there is no more to the level than what you see here.

( all textures besides the pit textures recreated from scratch) The official textures are a lot more grainy and a little more dark than my recreated version.
    Anyhow I'm showing this since I can not yet show you guys the official stuff.
    http://youtu.be/pJj-jUW2gzY?list=UUfDV5xinF2VjLd8LSAAfgCg

The image was concept art.
    [​IMG]

7. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    That's pretty neat!

Even though that video is only 40 seconds and the tunnel is short - that video is still awesome as I've never seen it.

8. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

I need someone to test a couple of NVidia NV1 SDK samples/demos for me on a Diamond Edge 3D 3400 (and others) on Windows 95 and send me screenshots, anyone who has one of those cards and is willing to help, please PM me.

Anyone who has a system that is running Panzer Dragoon or any of the other NV1-specific games perfectly, I need you the most.

I have an issue with the code and I need to find out if it is a hardware problem, an OS problem, or a software problem.

Thank you in advance!

Jollyroger

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Okay guys, Time to dust off one of the oldest .def files that I could get my hands on. a Version 03 Def file to be exact! Dated 12/28/95. Time 14:26:42. Just so you can imagine the scope of all of this, the latest .def file we know of is Version 042 and dated 12/29/1996.
    It took about 2 days of trial and error modeling this over and over again using the 003 def file as a guide. Its very primitive compared to the later files. There are no slope blocks in this .def file whatsoever.
    But I think that I got this down now for the most part! I'm sure that there may be something wrong with the UV's on the side of the blocks , they should be rotated 90 degrees, but ehh I'm to tired right now to fix that!
    There may be other discrepancies with accuracy , especially since there are no screens to compare with.( I'm flying blind here !)

Without further delay , May I present you with this very important new level ! ( named Level01) ( there are a lot of LEVEL01s by the way)
    Notice that there are 2 sprite sets for the rings , Horizontal and vertical.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The circled blue thing hurts Sonic according to the .def information ( ow!) its animation includes a spark attack.
    [​IMG]

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The level looks like a giant weapon.

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

I imagine that must be the Death Egg in some iteration? Visually I like it a lot more than the 4Worlds demo version of Death Egg.

12. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Yeah that looks like the Egg carrier/a type of ship.

Great stuff, pretty amazing to see completely new material.

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I like the Neon light rods myself!. I feel that they have a kind of Sonic CDish vibe to them! They are actually used again in later .def files which were leaked previously.

14. I really like the atmosphere of this map. How were the neon rods rendered?

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    With MS paint ?! lol
    It's just a texturemap with a color gradient from light to dark with a very bright pixel on the end.
    ( all kidding aside, im sure they used Photoshop or Deluxe Paint to do the texture.)

16. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Ok, I managed to get the gamepad to work, what a waste of time...

Now on to the rendering glitches on NV1, I am trying to extablish whether it is an issue with the source code's usage of the hardware, or whether the code was in the middle of some experiment that makes the rendering not work properly...

17. Uhyve

Uhyve

Master Procrastinator Member
    Huddersfield, England
    SX Engine
    Aw, that's gotta be disappointing. Out of curiosity, what kind of rendering issues are you having?

18. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

The polygons closest to the camera disappear for some reason. I have not inspected the code enough to see if it's a bug or a hardware/software/drivers mismatch.

It looks like the engine uses shading to fade polygons in the distance, but perhaps the depth shading was experimental in this code, some values exceed acceptable parameters and the hardware refuses to render them, I will get to the bottom of this, no worries...

19. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

In the footage we've seen so far, the polygons that would get between the camera and Sonic would become transparent in order for the player to continue to see what's going on. Maybe the code for that was in process, but not fully implemented yet?

20. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Yes, I remember that feature.

In fact there are some transparent polygons being displayed very close to the camera, the ones that don't get displayed are a "range" of polygons between the transparent ones and others further in the distance...