don't click here

Aspect Edit - The Sonic 2 SMS Editor

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Glitch, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, it says in the first post you need Java installed. Bit of an overhead but at least it means it runs on Linux as well as Windows.

2. Espilonarge

Espilonarge

Thanks for adding this fix, really helps with progress without it constantly making you go back and forth between multiple folders (gets rather tedious after a while).

I'm just wondering though. Will spawn locations be added such as monitors and enemies? Since its not possible to currently change spawn locations in Aspect Edit, changing tiles where an enemy is located isn't exactly possible without causing weird glitches (Crabmeat stuck in a wall anybody?). I'm mostly just curious is all.

On another note. For some reason I cannot edit UGZ A3 because the whole level layout from the S2 disassembly is corrupted, and I can't seem to get S2PACK to work because it requires some form of data to decrypt (eg = requires level:tile but I don't know "what" to put in).

EDIT - Seems that allot of the S2 disassembly has corrupted level layout data (just checked SHZ A1 and tiles just seem to be thrown around randomly). Might want to fix them up Glitch because its impossible to edit something if its completely messed up.

3. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    The data isn't corrupt. You have to manually change the "level width" property. The program tries to guess at the level width based on the file size but this doesn't always work (as you have found with UGZ3 and SHZ1). If you check SHZ1's header in the "src/level_headers.asm" file you'll see that the level's with is $60 blocks. Convert this to decimal (96) and put it in the "width" dropdown list and adjust the "height" spinner to the maximum for that width (42).

It's a pain in the arse. I know. Project file support will address the issue.

4. Espilonarge

Espilonarge

Ahhh, that would explain that issue then. Thanks for the information and thanks for providing a great program. ;)

Just one problem you might want to know about. When I opened up two levels, I checked my system resources and it was exceeding just over 100 megs. I presume it's most likely because the code isn't optimize but I thought you just might some feedback.

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    A quick workaround until then would be to add a checkbox that when enabled will make the editor use the default size for the level in the original game (if a hack changes the level size then there it'll be needed to set the size manually).

6. This seems pretty damn nifty. Any chances of a tile editor? I'd love to make some custom 8-bit art and see it in game.

7. Espilonarge

Espilonarge

It already has a tile editor. Should delve a little deeper in to the program since it doesn't just edit the layout of the levels.

8. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Ok. Is there a tutorial for where exactly in the disassembly you have to load the certain files? I mean palette is easy, and I thought I got mappings right, but for the others I have no clue with this program.

9. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    What do you mean by "load files"? Are you asking how/where to incbin the various data files or how a level's tileset is loaded into VRAM?

10. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    No. What files from the folders in the Sonic 2 SMS disassembly do I choose when the Open ____ file in the Aspect Edit program asks for them. Usually there would be a tutorial of what to select like SonMapEd does.

11. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    Well, that all depends on what you're editing. If you're editing the Green Hills Zone art, for example, first open the compressed tileset data from "art\level\ghz\art_ghz_level_tiles.bin", then click the "Open Palette" button and browse to "palettes\palette_ghz.bin". Editing sprite art is slightly different in that you need to load the foreground palette rather than the background level palette. For example: load the bomb tile art from "art\badniks\art_badnik_bomb.bin" then load the Scrambled Egg Zone foreground palette from "palettes\palette_sez_sonic.bin".

Most of the level art is compressed (the exceptions being: all of sonic's tiles, rings/monitors, bosses - I.e. anything that's dynamically loaded). Generally speaking, uncompressed art will have "_ucmp_" somewhere in the filename (ring art doesn't... mea culpa).

Does this help?

12. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    What you said should work in theory, but all I get is black tiles. Yes, the palette works. I know there must be something stupidly simple that I am missing or didn't do, ie my fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.