don't click here

Amy In Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Feb 28, 2010.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The TM glitch, though still not perfected, is at least in a better state than before, I may delete it if I come to the point I don't want to refine the project anymore and it still isn't fixed, until then I'll keep the data there just in case (truthfully I'm still a bit clueless in places, a LOT of the fixes in this Revision are thanx largely to AquaSlash more than me, I managed to configure the new moves, but even then they are refined from Selbi's jump dash coding, it's nice so many people here have offered to help me with this project). The Sally hack can likely get refinements in a similar manner, but things are going slow with that project as I'm thinking of reinnovating it somewhat.

As for future character projects I'll leave you with this:

[​IMG]

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That is quite awesome. I still wonder what your Sonic sprites would look like if you took a shot at it though. I feel like you could make some really awesome looking sprites that would beat those of Sonic 1, 2, and 3.

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    <3

Bunny needs more love :3

4. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    See, this hack is what Sega could have done with Amy - not literally, but making a proper implementation of gameplay beyond Sonic Advance would have been great as the character design is perfectly fine.

Ugh, I'm a horrible spriter:
    [​IMG]

5. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    WANT.

She could use her extendable arm to grapple like Samus or Bionic Commando, and the extendable legs could work like James Pond 2: Codename Robocod.

...Actually, what would be pretty cool is a multi-character hack, like Megamix, but with all the greatest girl characters from Sonic. [/overly ambitious]

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Oh no don't say that, that song will be stuck in my head all da-too late:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4mOBkBJlD4

Her Sonic Mars concept does actually note an extendable arm akin to BC or Ristar. I suppose she could also have hover or lazer shooting abilties. Sounds a bit tricky to implement though. In fact Bunnie as a whole may be a task to implement due to her non-symetrical design. Oh, I've got myself into a real kerfuffle here.

If it helps you with sprites here is the original sheet for you to edit:

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/9375/am...ritesheet01.png

Looks fine to me, just need to refine other elements such as her boots and hair. Perhaps also add a bit more shading to the new skirt textures.

Admitedly the SA design looks better accustomed to working in the 2D titles due to the less complex pallette and design.

I didn't mind her gameplay in other titles, SA1 would have been an okay 3D transition of her Advance gameplay if she wasn't so friggin' slow and she had similar gameplay in Sonic Advance 3 (with certain characters anyway). In a few other titles she was basically a Sonic copy (Advance 2, Sonic Heroes). She's pretty versatile, she can be a weaker stealth character one game and a powerhouse the other.

7. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    That sheet is amazing, though a detail you might want to reflect is that classic Amy does not wear a headband, but instead, something like a bonnet:

[​IMG]

And apparently she has 5 quills and not 6

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx. :)

The quills might be worth editing, however the red band was edited according to how the original Sonic CD sprites shown it which cuts off near eye length. Truthfully those model sheets feature elements that aren't uniform with the game sprites anyway (eg. Sonic's buckles). Her sleeves and white collar aren't visible on her sprites either, and her laces aren't orange.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, well, her sprites in Chaotix did have all those details. It would be easier to include them if this was a 32x project, though.

Ahh, the memories. =P

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Was it you that found that? Nice.

Well if anyone plans to put playable Amy in Chaotix then I'll keep that in mind. :v:

I was really just aiming for authenticity to the original CD sprites really.

EDIT: Here is the alt control version people asked for. It switches A and B around (for some reason certain codes won't let me have two buttons so C is mosty useless). Also I couldn't edit debug mode so Amy is helpless when it is activated (I tried switching B to A in debug activation but it's not having it):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bogbaf

Not many refinements yet, though the other attacks' radius have been fixed and Amy's speed is a little slower. If it's worth it for any reason here is a normal control revision:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h63wri

11. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Classic games actually worried very little about things like this: Super Metroid, for instance, mirrors Samus's sprites, so her gunarm changes sides all throughout the game. I'm sure most people would forgive the same thing in Bunnie's case, in order to be able to play as her.

It's funny - I'll often be trying to solve a problem in my game design. I'll then check how a real game does it, and they'll do it the lazy way (or the expedient way, if you prefer - they do have deadlines, after all). Sometimes it's surprising what finished professional games get away with.

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

It's ironic, since Bunnie seems one of the alt media characters with the most gameplay potential. Either way her moves and sprites seem a bit complex to implement so I'll at least need to gain more experience with ASM coding (I'm still inept as to how to implement new objects which would probably be necessary for some of her attacks).

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Awesome... Thanks for this alternate control scheme. :)

I've noticed a "funny" bug, by the way. If you're high-jumping while the screen fades at the end of an act, for some reason Amy will do another high-jump on her own as soon as the next act starts.

About the animations, I couldn't help but notice that her falling sprite seems to have a too extreme arm positioning, akin to Sonic's in Sonic CD... but it doesn't flow too nicely with the animation.
    [​IMG]

Since she didn't have that pose in Advance either, and she does have a falling frame in Sonic CD, perhaps something like this would look more "appropiate"?
    [​IMG]

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I really like that custom sprite that he made. Most of his custom sprites look better than the originals in most cases and I think this is one of those. I say keep it. And I wouldn't call that other one a fall frame more like jumping for joy

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, while I don't think it's a bad sprite by any means, he just said he was "aiming for authenticity to the original CD sprites "... and at the same time, it seems to flow better with the animation.

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Ugh no, that's terrible.

Modifying the frame before and lowering the hands on the last one would do a better job.

17. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Stick with the original fall sprite. It looks so much better.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    No, it's not. =P

I guess you mean something like this:
    [​IMG]

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    It is because you're suggesting to use a frame for an animation that it has no place in. His new sprite actually has some, for the lack of a better term here, "life" in it. Your suggestion is a soulless stare into nothing.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well... It was used in Sonic CD precisely for that. Don't blame me. =|