don't click here

All Programming Discussion

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

1. SwissCM

SwissCM

Are pixel shaders a possibility in the future? For example, Sonic's shield could have a pulsating effect that adds a subtle warp around it. Also, stuff like the underwater raster effect could be easily simulated with shaders. Heat haze off fire is another neat idea.

Also, a particle system may be worth looking into for explosions, water splashes and smoke puffs.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    what WHAT WHAT

No fancy graphical effects, please! The original game didn't need them, and neither do we.

3. SwissCM

SwissCM

Haha, just a suggestion. However, I do have to say that since a lot of the original artwork was made for 320x224 output via composite, there are some irregularities that you may have to find workarounds for. For example, the sheild pulsating effect discussed earlier would look poor if upscaled and shown on a progressive display. Explosions can look like paper cutouts when upscaled too.

However, emulating Raster effects with pixel shaders wouldn't be too far fetched would it?

EDIT:
    Waterfalls take advantage of that striped translucency effect that the genesis video encoder causes. Do we use straight translucency or something more complex?

4. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
  5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    50hz is much, much slower than 60hz. It's very uncomfortable for me to try and play.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Random, but why did Weird Person put a tsu on the end of his writeup? =P

?

7. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    If you read it, it says Wierd Persom. =P

8. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    The username on the board doesn't >=P

9. Vangar

Vangar

Story of my PAL life.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Gods, how many of us can say that...

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I think the point to that one post is that such a transparency effect will only work at a rate of 48Hz or greater. Anything lower will just look like blinking rather than transparent.

12. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Personally, I feel a very big difference when playing S1 at 50fps (even with a hack to keep the music at normal speeds), a smaller difference when playing S2 at 50fps, and interestingly enough, I don't feel any difference at all when playing S3&K at 50fps.

13. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Heh I know exactly what you mean, it's probably because S3&K has the least amount of speed capping on the player.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Mm, indeed my engine does do that.

One of the major reasons I advocate a palette.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Cool... So I guess the Super Sonic frames should be drawn in blue from now on?

17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

they could be. Keep in mind that, in my engine, color is separate from the art. So you could draw him green if you'd wish, because it's all the same to my engine.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah, but the buckles share some of the yellow colors, which would also glow with him. Making his body blue would avoid this kind of stuff.

EDIT: Something like this.
    [​IMG]

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Ah, good thinking. Yeah, I'd say you could draw him blue without fear.

20. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    A 256 palette might be a bit limiting, specially if objects, hud, character, etc are supposed to have their borders antialiased. I would suggest to work on a framebuffer based system rather than using a palette - that's it, to work using pixels rather than palettes. That would complicate things for animated palettes but there's still the possibility to do color search and replace to achieve a similar effect. Well, heck, one could actually even emulate a real 32bit virtually endless palette. And yeah, that might be slower, but the good part is that palette animation effects could be performed using a 32bit color output.

Just my opinion, I guess it's a matter of testing both methods, but I'm not seeing it with a palette limited to 256 colors.