don't click here

All Programming Discussion

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    I'm with Chimpo on this. The game will have to have some kind of barrier at certain bosses, right? Why not just make the barrier part of the scenery, it will look more natural and better than any border. Don't start arguing about not making any sense, it's a game. You have to make choices, right? Choice is to make hidden borders (IE the totems) or obvious borders (IE shrinking to 4:3 with artwork or w/e)

This isn't an issue now anyway, we're still on EHZ and that boss is no problem.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You see, I don't know what other people think, but I find it hard to look forward to an alpha of something which doesn't have its future fate defined yet. The lack of a solution for most boss arenas might even lead to premature cancellation if not handled correctly. Potential issues should have been discussed even before you started doing anything, to see if the whole project was feasible or not.
    My personal point of view is that this game should be 4:3 10:7 only since I don't give a shit to people who use 16:9 or 16:10, they can as well shut up and get a black pillarbox at the sides as Sonic 2 was never meant to be played in any resolution different from 320x224 (or one of its multiples such as 1280x896 in our 4x case). However since we don't live in a perfect world and resolutions different than 4:3 are being used, you must find a solution which satisfies the most people possible, if not everyone. And said solution must be found now, or people's interest will keep on decreasing. "Oh good we have a playable EHZ! But the project isn't going anywhere as they can't manage the bosses to work in 16:9".

And yes, while I have a neat 4:3 monitor on my main computer and I'm super happy about it, my laptop has a screen resolution of 1920x1080 instead. But I'm not being a crying faggot, when I play 4:3 games or when I watch 4:3 movies I keep my goddamned pillarbox at the sides and I am happy about it.

What next? People complaining that Sonic doesn't have green eyes? Man, they're right when they say that the Sonic fanbase is impossible to be pleased.

edit: pillarbox, right

3. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I think the game should just play in pillarbox format for the time being. Widescreen gameplay will come later, after we've managed to replicate the look and feel of Sonic 2 in high resolution.

4. nineko

nineko

italy
    Now we're talking :thumbsup:

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I don't understand why there is so much negative view on little things. I think it's better to spend energy on new ideas than to complain on what's on offer. There is an alpha coming which means that the ground work has been covered and the project is still going. I also think that because something like this has never been done before for an unofficial remake, that people just don't put faith into it.

Stop moaning about this project going nowhere when it is and put some positive input in that is needed.

I'm sure if it is such a big issue with the aspect when it comes, then it's bound to stay 4:3.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    You guys act like they're spending all of their resources right now to solve this one issue when they're clearly still working on shit behind the scenes.

Good for you.

7. I am not judging based on the 2 minute MS Paint job. I am saying that amongst all other ideas put forth, this giant pillar idea seems completely unprofessional, uncreative and bordering on satirical. It would just look as though no better solution could be found, so we just decided to throw down another pair of pillars. However, I can see this is going nowhere, and for the moment it ought not to, so this is my final word on this matter for the time being, Bro.

8. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Well, here's the official word on the subject.

9. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Can't wait to see what the team has in mind about the last one there, Gambit. No, that wasn't sarcasm.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    I'm glad that there is definitely going to be no borders. But I hope there is going to be some poll or game tests we could all try out on different ways the areas are set out. It's sometimes best to see it and play it, rather than thinking about it.

11. nineko

nineko

italy
    I like how you edited your post 10 minutes after you posted, but fortunately I am here to unveil what you hid. Your original post said "LOst's official word on the subject". I can see why you edited it, it's not good if the community knows that a single individual is taking "official words" about a community project.
    I'm more and more disappointed by this project, and I know I'm not the only one.

One of the admins (who stays anonymous for now) said this in the staff channel:
    And another admin said:
    That's 2 admins and one mod being concerned about this project. Maybe this is the time where you start reconsidering the direction taken?

12. These stone walls and whatnot will need to slide away very quickly at the end of the boss, so we wouldn't be able to have something like a rockslide.

13. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I loved reading this answer directed to all naysayers:
    Community Project does not imply a cauldron where everyone (non into game development) has the right to impose us what he wants, anytime He wants. Progress in such conditions is as good as Project Retro.
    The community involvement for non-artists, will be completely open up after we got a solid release. If you really care for S2HD's health, there are lots of ways you can help, like concepts for the other levels.

The text Gambit had written are the Staff "official words" on the subject.
    We know the problems related to different resolutions and we'll obviously do the best to make the experience enjoyable on most desktops. (I do have a 4:3 as well!) Complain when you've seen the result, isn't it fair? :)

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    LOL. It needed to be said.

15. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    Yes because if the admins thinks it's shit then it is shit! How can an almighty admin be wrong?!
    Seriously dude, that is their opinion and you don't have to tell everyone else that their opinion sucks.

This.

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    You sound as though it's some dark secret. I just edited it when I remembered the whole staff felt the same way about the matter.

17. Doesn't change the fact that a single person made those decisions, the rest of the staff just happened to agree. I guess I have to agree that S2HD is terribly private for a "community project", with the rest of the community just serving as asset generators. I've been slowly loosing confidence on this project... Let's see if the Alpha changes anything.

18. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I'd much rather everyone look forward to the alpha to be the point they hedge any remaining concerns on. We've promised quality, and we're going to live up to that. I don't think asking for patience until the alpha goes live is that much to ask. If the admins have issue with what's going on, they like everyone else are free to post their concerns in the relevant topics here for all of the community to see.

19. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    When talking about the bosses, or the screen resolution?

Okay, only screen resolution, but bosses must be decided before an Alpha release?

You are confusing me, seriously!

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I think the issue is that people no longer feel involved or "up to speed" with the project's development, and as such miss voicing out on key engine decisions. Nobody says you have to take collective input as law, but it would far more beneficial to at least somewhat involve the community in these decisions, given that it's a community project.

If you have no interest in letting the community have an actual say in the game's development and instead opt to do everything in private outside of take potential contributions, then I have no idea why this game is within this forum section. Your use of this community's resources is not to be picked and chosen as you please.