don't click here

Advice on converting/arranging MP3's into Gym's

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Granville, May 17, 2008.

1. I laughed when I read that, it's like saying eat the insides of a hamburger and then the bread. (Sorry for my use or the oddest examples =P)

2. Granville

Granville

US
    I hate to bump this, but I found something quite interesting:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-S...B236/indexE.htm

It's not quite what I was looking for but well.....it converts MIDI files into NES style. I downloaded some Sonic CD MIDI's from VGMusic and ran them in the program. They sound quite cool in 8-bit form. There's some videos on Youtube of new-ish songs being played in 8-bit style using this program.

I'll continue to study on how to do them in Genesis style, but my PC's power cord died and I'm stuck using my mother's PC for now. It's a bit unfit for programming/hacking as it's old and buggy.

Here's a video (youtube) of Stardust Speedway in 8-bit style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZcvJWib_IA

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, it's a neat little app is that, even if really all it is is a toy =P

4. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Yeah, it's a shame it can't output to XM or something...

5. Granville

Granville

US
    Stardust Speedway Good Future sounds particularly nice in 8-bit style. I've been trying some more MIDI's from other games and it's a very fun little app! It can export the music into a WAV file I believe, but it's too bad you can't save it in true NES sound format.

6. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    There are several tools that can convert MIDI to XM though.

There's one called midi2xm, which does a reasonable job. It's a Windows 3.1 tool if I recall correctly though, so a bit of a pain to set up under XP. (Gotta keep pathnames 8.3 compatible) I converted a few Sonic CD songs with it several years ago when I used it last.
    ModPlug tracker can also import MIDI files into .IT, .XM, or even .MOD formats. However, the accuracy is not as good as midi2xm.
    For both programs, you need to provide a soundfont. I believe someone has made a genesis sound-alike font called YM/FM that does a good job approximating some of the instruments.

7. roxahris

roxahris

Doing anything at all
    Well, I knew about those converters, but an XM with SCC instruments would be good too...
    EDIT: SCC is not NES/Famicom, it's the other setting. Yay MSX.

8. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    You could open the MIDI in modplug tracker, then save as an xm.

9. roxahris

roxahris

Doing anything at all
    Are you even reading my posts? I said I knew about converters and MPT- I use them. I was pointing out that it would be nice if it could export an XM or IT or something with the SCC or NES instruments in it. Not that I needed to convert MIDI files to XM.

10. Granville

Granville

US
    I actually got Windows 3.1 to install and run pretty much perfectly in DosBox. I guess I can try that Win3.1 tool in that.