don't click here

Waku Waku Sonic Police Patrol emulated becoming a reality

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by battletoad, Apr 20, 2015.

1. battletoad

battletoad

Mn, USA
    Waku Waku Sonic Police Patrol Car indiegogo!
    As you may or may not know/care, Waku Waku Sonic Police Patrol is one of a handful of games that were never emulated. It featured Sonic with a voice which is pretty rad too. If you would like to be able to play this game, I set up an indiegogo fundraiser to help make that dream come true! I'm also selling some rare sonic/sega merch from my collection to raise funds on eBay as well! I'll be posting new things every week, with each week things will get rarer and rarer.
    If anyone wants to see Sonic Cosmo fighter Galaxy Patrol emulated, this fundraiser must make a good amount of money, otherwise it's just too expensive and time consuming for just one person to do. So I'd imagine there are thousands of people that would love to play Waku Waku Sonic Police Patrol, so if people donated a $1, picked up a perk, or bid on some Sonic Merch on ebay, this fundraiser will do great! Let me know how you guys feel about this, I'm super excited. I just launched it and already had a few people help out and it's really really appreciated.

Here's the fundraiser:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/waku-waku-sonic-police-patrol-rom-and-arcade-venue/x/9773094#home

Here's my eBay seller link:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/tpmedved/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

2. battletoad

battletoad

Mn, USA
    I have a fundraiser,
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/waku-waku-sonic-police-patrol-rom-and-arcade-venue/x/9773094#home
    to emulate Waku Waku Sonic Police Patrol. If we make the goal I think it would be really neat to solidate the audio files, look at the games sprites, and see if there are any unused files! I'm sure people on this forum have the know how to do it. If you have questions leave a comment.

On a side note, if the fundraiser makes the goal, I'll be looking to pick up a Sonic Galaxy Patrol machine and get that one emulated as well, how awesome would that be!

3. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

You're making me wish I had money now. Good luck on raising enough money to buy the game, though!

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Do you know the specifications of the hardware, to not only extract and obtain a software copy of the game, but to also understand how the data on the game is structured in relation to the hardware, so we can at least decipher which data is what when sifting through it? (Not that I'm implying obtaining the device regardless of knowledge isn't important, but best be prepared aye?)

I'm also rather surprised at the cost for shipping, $4,500? Not that I've ever tried sending anything of this calibre from Toyko to the US, but that's still quite pricey in my book...

5. I'm gonna reiterate what MarkeyJester said in the main Waku Waku thread:
    "Do you know the specifications of the hardware, to not only extract and obtain a software copy of the game, but to also understand how the data on the game is structured in relation to the hardware, so we can at least decipher which data is what when sifting through it? (Not that I'm implying obtaining the device regardless of knowledge isn't important, but best be prepared aye?)"

This is the most important part and hasn't been addressed. This should b known before people start dumping $$$ into this.

Saying "if anyone wants to see this emulated please give money" is not an indication that it is actually possible to do so at the current moment.

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Dude, bad move making 2 topics about this. hopefully you won't get punished for it.

Still Xeal it wouldn't hurt having this machine on-hand in the states by a member of the community and not rotting in some mall or arcade in japan where its inaccessible. the only reason we don't know jack shit about this machine or its internal specs is because someone hasn't ever gone through the effort of obtaining 1 of these machines and hell knows what happened with Ash's efforts to get one.

But battletoad maybe it would be a better move to help Ash get the one she was trying to get instead of trying to import one....if that one is still available to us that is. could've been destroyed for all we know.

7. @Lanzer I would love for a member of the community to obtain this machine, but I would like said member to make it apparent they know what they're actually doing. Ash asked questions as to how she would be able to dump the game once she got it. All I see here is a link. No future plans as to what happens, just a link.

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah I was half asleep last night when I saw the dual threads. I was going to post something to the effect of "Dude. The mods are going to come down hard on you for the dual threads" but I saw that this guy seemed nice and well intentioned so didn't want to be too negative when his heart's clearly in the right place. All I have to add is that Battletoad might want to work on a protocol for actually getting this dumped should his funding campaign succeed because he just made headlines on NeoGAF for this precise reason.

Your campaign Battletoad is far more likely to succeed if you can assure everyone you'll get this dumped and therefore archived.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    That NeoGAF thread is diamonds.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I have merged the two threads together. One thread only, please.

11. battletoad

battletoad

Mn, USA
    Hey everyone! Seems like there are a lot of questions... I'll do my best to answer them!

1. I have the game, the rom has already been dumped, it should be playable on a computer in a few days!

2. I don't work on games, I don't mod games, so having someone else, a business(!) do it for me makes a lot of sense. For me, it is just way too risky to have someone I've never met do it. They have no obligation to have it done in a timely manner and aren't insured if something goes wrong. I have spent way too much time and money on this to let something happen with someone that isn't a professional. That said, the fear of this project being funded and the game not being emulated shouldn't be a problem!

3. Fundraising goal. Yes, it was that much! And no, it's not cheaper to send someone to japan, go to the mall, take out the board, and fly back. Unless you happened to personally know the store owner, they would never let you do that. So, how would everyone feel if I made it an "All or Nothing" at $1000. If I get a positive response from this I'll stop my current page and start a new in 30 days or so.

Do you guys have other suggestions? I really want this fundraiser to be a success. Let me know what I could say, do, explain, or anything else, to make a stranger want to donate money to make this happen!

Thanks guys!

12. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    What's the system architecture of this game?

13. battletoad

battletoad

Mn, USA
    Great question!

The hardware is essentially the Sega Genesis offshoot arcade hardware. To make it playable, it only requires a few new lines of code. and can be added to one of the drivers in MAME.

Check out my pictures of the board on my photobucket.

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af54/Will_Medved/11005565_10152673318499290_410382907_n_zpsycn5spvc.jpg

On another site, there seems to be a lot of worry of me collecting the money and not being able to actually emulate the game. If you are referring to the previous sentences, I'm basically saying that it's a good idea to let a professional emulate the game.

14. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Looks like a Sega System C or C-2. There's a similar game called Waku Waku Marine that's also based on System C-2.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

All I can really say is that although it would be cool to see this game dumped and brought over in a physical form too, it's not worth more than the pennies I'd use to play it the way it was intended.

16. battletoad

battletoad

Mn, USA
    It will be $1 to play when it's set up at the mall of america in Minnesota in next weekend. That said, if you would be willing to pay $1 to play it the way it was intended, would you also be willing to donate $1 to have it emulated? I've been getting a lot of, "this needs to happen" and "would be cool to see this" but I'm not sure what needs to happen for people to actually want to contribute. Any thoughts or input are appreciated!

17. Uh, no? I'm willing to pay a dollar to have it dumped because of preservation. That reasoning does not translate over to actually playing the game for a dollar. Hell, do any machines like that nowadays require a dollar for use?

18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Non sequitur. The question was "if you would pay a dollar to play the game, would you pay a dollar to have it dumped?" You've answered the question "if you would pay a dollar to have it dumped, would you pay a dollar to play the game?"

The question was also directed at Blue Blood, who indicated that playing the game in the original form would be worth more than having it dumped.

You seem to have an invented an excuse for arguing.

19. battletoad

battletoad

Mn, USA
    Great input. Granted my previous statement wasn't aimed toward anyone else but Blue Blood, I'm glad to hear your 2 cents. And yes, a kiddie ride can be $1. Depends on location, machine, ect. Seems like preservation is going to be the major reason why people would pitch in $1.

Please keep the feedback coming! The more I get the better I can set up a less confusing fundraiser and get a clear mission statement to everyone about what exactly the goal is. It seemed like I had too much info and not enough literature about what I'm trying to accomplish.

20. Pffft, failure. My bad. My intentions were not to start an argument though.