don't click here

Fusion's SADX PC Chao Editor.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Fusion, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fusion

Fusion

Fusion's Chao Editor
    Greetings.

I'm an administrator on Chao Island, which you may or may not have heard of. It's a website and forum for chao from the Sonic Adventure and Sonic Advance games. I have developed a program for modifying the chao in Sonic Adventure DX for the PC, and I would like to share it with this community.

I know that there is already another similar tool written by GerbilSoft. I mean no offence to him by posting my own, and I don't mean to step on his toes in any way by posting this; however, I believe his program has not been updated in a very long time. His editor has been very helpful to the chao community for several years, but it has been difficult to get running for many, and lacks many requested features.

Therefore, I created my own editor. I believe it has a very user-friendly interface, and it supports many additional features, such as second evolutions, character bonds, and control over animals, fruits, hats, and the Black Market. I released this a few days ago and posted this on Chao Island and Chao Talk, but I'd like to share it with as many communities as possible. The following text is mostly copied from my post on Chao Island.

--------------------

I've created a new website to host my various chao projects, and I've made a section just for this program: http://chao.tehfusion.co.uk/sadx-pc-chao-editor

You can check there for the full overview, features, screenshots, downloads, updates, and the version history. However, for your convenience, I'll also include some basic information in this thread.

[​IMG]

Introduction

Those of you who play SADX PC have probably tried GerbilSoft's SADX PC Memory Editor v2.00 BETA at some point. It works, and provides you with some useful editing abilities. However, it also has a lot of problems. It's built on legacy technology (Visual Basic 6), and as a result it can be very difficult to even get running; for example, you are forced to download a library file and register it through the command line, and aren't given any instructions to do this. It also has few features and a very basic interface. In order to edit your chao, you must select its slot number from a drop-down box, remember to click "Read Chao", change the values, and then remember to click "Write Chao". It is a long and tedious process.

My new editor seeks to correct these problems. It has been developed using the latest modern technology, and runs on the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile. You may already have this useful framework installed, but if not, the setup file will take care of it for you. When you run the program, you should find that it has a very user-friendly interface and is easy to work with. It will read and write changes to your chao data instantly, and provides you with a significant level of control.

Features

For a full list of features, check out the features page on my website. I'll give you a basic summary here, though.

For a start, my program does everything that GerbilSoft's one does (except for things that aren't related to chao). It also lets you control the following:
    • Chao ageing speed.
    • Second evolutions.
    • Happiness.
    • Number of reincarnations.
    • Remaining adult lifespan.
    • Bonds with the different characters.
    • Emotions and actions, such as crying, sleeping, or jumping with joy.
    • Intelligence and luck stats.
    • Learnt animal behaviours.
    • Medal worn on chest.
    • DNA.
    • Collected animals that are in the gardens.
    • Fruits that are in the gardens.
    • Hats that are in the gardens.
    • The items for sale in the Black Market.

Finally, you can also right-click on any of your chao in the editor to get a special menu. This menu will let you cut, copy, and paste your chao between slots, delete your chao, or create a new egg in the slot. It will also let you export your chao to a .chao file, which can serve as a permanent backup or allow you to share it with your friends! You can also import chao from .chao files into any slot you wish. This way, you don't need to replace your entire garden save file to borrow somebody else's chao.

Screenshots

It's always nice to see what something looks like before you download it, so here are a few screenshots of the program. I've linked them to save space. Check out the screenshots page on my website for more.

System requirements

My program only really has two system requirements.

Operating system: For the greatest user experience, you should be running either Windows Vista or Windows 7. However, you can still use this with Windows XP, as long as you have at least Service Pack 2 installed. It might not look as good, but it'll work.

.NET Framework: As this program is written for the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile, you will need that installed. It's a small download, far smaller than the full .NET Framework 4.0. If you are using the setup exe (which is recommended), you don't have to worry about it; it'll all be taken care of for you. If you are using the zip archive, you can download the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile here.

Download

Interested in my program? Want to download it? Just head over to the downloads page on my website. I recommend you choose the setup exe option.

Feedback

Have any opinions? Have any feedback to give me? Found a bug? Just post here or contact me through any other method. As the very first release, there may be some bugs; some minor issues already been found and fixed, ready for the next version release. This program will be regularly updated as bugs are reported and fixed, or as new chao hacking discoveries are made.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I would like to see a video of this in action. Sounds interesting :)

3. Fusion

Fusion

Fusion's Chao Editor
    One of the moderators at Chao Island put together a video. It doesn't exactly show my editor being used, but it does describe it briefly, show some screenshots, and then show some of the results. I might put together a video showing it in actual use.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Well, this certainly beats the editor I was trying to add to my trainer, both in features and UI.

If you don't mind sharing, perhaps you could add more information to SCHG:Sonic_Adventure_DX:_PC/RAM_Editing#Chao_Data

I really should try to find the save file protection code sometime...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.