don't click here

Sonic Gemini (NEW ART STYLE)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by DM Ashura, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DM Ashura

DM Ashura

Oldbie
    Atlanta, GA
    Sonic Gemini
    Greetings again everyone.

Just thought I'd update everybody on where we are with Sonic Gemini.

Since finding reliable spriters has been an almost impossible task, we decided to go in a new direction.

This picture is a mock screenshot, but using actual sprites we're using ingame, with the exception of the background and some of the HUD.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy! :D

2. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Really nice, I like the cartoony like graphics. ^^

3. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I'm glad the game moved in this direction. The drawn levels work much better than anything else that had been done. Makes it quite unique and noticeable next to other fangames in the making.

4. Matwek

Matwek

I wasn't sure if the pixel art I had done for this level would translate as well when hand drawn. I was proved wrong.
    Literally can't wait to see what happens with the old Memento Temple tiles, they were already packed with detail so with less restrictions it can only get better.

5. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Wait.. This is what the game will actually look like?

This game just shot up on my waiting for list

6. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Things just got more epic with the new art. <3

Can't wait to see it in motion!

7. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Beautiful!

Are you sure you'll be able to manage though? Drawing full levels and especially animating characters might prove to be a bit hard... Actually, come to think of it, I wonder if it might be easier than animating sprites. Hmm...

8. Flare

Flare

I love how detailed the graphics are. Will there be like larger plants closer to the screen adding more depth? Only said because it looks like its needs something now its on a big scale.

9. Tidbit

Tidbit

Oh wow. That art is really nice!

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Thanks for the positive feedback so far.

I've actually got several animations and straight up poses done (mostly for Sonic), and I've already drawn concept illustrations for each Zone we're doing, so if I just keep working at a decent enough pace, I could be done with all the art within a year or two. It's definitely not going to happen over night. I'm trying to focus more on characters and what nots right now while Matwek continues to create layouts, so there will be plenty to keep me busy when it's time to bare down on some Zone art.

11. Impish

Impish

Jumping Gemini batman! That is incredible art on ts own man, and better yet it'll be moving,and better than that, I can control that movement! its like having a game where you play as the mona lisa!

12. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I liked the old sprite style it had very much, so I feel a slight twinge at seeing it go. :(

That said, the new style is awesome, though. I can't wait to see it in motion. You could potentially have something as good or better than Wario Land: Shake It! on your hands.

I wish you luck with it.

13. Matwek

Matwek

Well I still have a hell of a lot of spare bits and pieces lying around that people have been asking for.
    Obviously I'm not giving people access to the art I had previosuly done for Gemini, but I am helping out a few people in my spare time. So you may see a similar style popping up in a few hacks if I don't get too swamped (Gemini holds priority).

You won't be disappointed. Currently I've only seen the basic animations so it can only get better.

14. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I kinda liked the pixel artwork more :ssh:
    Anyway, the new style looks awesome nonetheless.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    An interesting take. It's something we've seen succesfully done with the Wario games. However, with this visual style I hope you realize that animation now takes a greater importance in making it look good as well. You can't get away with the same animation tricks pulled with pixel art like shifting pixels around unless you want it to look like a cheap flash game that uses nothing but Tweens.

16. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I'd prefer sprites, honestly. I can't say I'm not interested in seeing a Sonic fangame with completely hand drawn graphics, but the art shown here just looks gaudy to me. If you really want to make this work, introduce more depth to the foreground so you can work some darker values in and break up the monotonous flat colors.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I have to admit, the flatness of the level art bothered me a little bit too. It's a nice start, though!

18. CyberKitsune

CyberKitsune

Never enough time. Member
    aaaaaaaaa
    I'd have to agree with Chimpo. It looks great and very colorful, but you're gonna need some smooth animation or it'll ruin it. Also, it does have -some- flatness to it, maybe try to concentrate on depth more. Other than that, it looks spectacular!

19. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Save the black lines for your main characters only (Sonic, Metal Sonic and badniks etc) and experiment with the scenery having outlines that are a darker version of the main shade. Also wash out the background a tiny smidgen.

Interesting concept mockup though. ;)

20. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Seeing this reminds me of games made in Flash. Somehow I immediately am put off by the style and just choose to skip playing the game. It's just a horrible style IMO.

Hopefully this looks different in the end. I don't see what was the matter with the previous style btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.