Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Battle Racers Boardgame Kickstarter - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Battle Racers Boardgame Kickstarter

#1 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:27 AM

• Wiki edits:6
I figured this should go separately to the merchandise topic, as it's more of it's own thing.

Shinobi7 has just launched a Kickstarter campaign for the upcoming Sonic boardgame. It is officially licensed and will be released regardless of the the success of the Kickstarter, but if the campaign is successful there'll be additional parts available. It's due out in October. There initial goal is $50,000, and as of the time of writing they're a little over $30,000 with three weeks left to go.

Burst into action with Sonic the Hedgehog: Battle Racers! Select your racer, choose your route, and fight your way to the finish while avoiding opposing racers and a variety of dangerous obstacles. Control your speed, use your abilities, and activate your special powers to collect as many rings as you can in an amazing race.

Based on Sonic the Hedgehog, the world-wide phenomenon, Sonic the Hedgehog: Battle Racers allows you to take on the role of Sonic or one of his many friends and rivals in a strategic race through a variety of exciting locations. The course changes with every race, so no two games are alike!

Posted Image

The pledge tiers are as follows:
  • $50: Base game (including Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Eggman Boss), KS exclusive Super Sonic.
  • $100: Base game, KS exclusive Super Sonic, 10 figurines of each badnik (Crabmeat, Motorbug, Buzz Bomber, Spinner)
  • $150: Everything from previous tiers, all stretch goals included as freebies, all optional buys included as freebies.

Stretch goals:
  • $60k: Token bag
  • $70k: Blaze player
  • $80k: 50 plastic rings to replace cardboard tokens
  • $90k: Sticks player
  • $100k: Metallic finish to cards
  • $110k: Shadow player and Oil Ocean expansion set

Optional buys:
  • $10: 20 plastic rocks to replace cardboard tokens.
  • $20: Metal Sonic player and Mechanical Madness expansion (I've left a comment asking them to correct the name).
  • $20: Infinite player and Metropolis expansion.
  • $10: Vector large player
  • $10: Big large player
  • $10: Omega large player

Personally, I'm backing this the full amount. It looks like a fun game and a really nice piece of merchandise too. Anyone else interested?
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 09 February 2018 - 06:31 AM

#2 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22
The graphic design and general typeface usage on this is quite atrocious. I'll pass, thanks.
This post has been edited by Master Emerald: 09 February 2018 - 11:41 AM

#3 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
They seriously need a Kickstarter for a licensed board game?

#4 User is offline Naean 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

• Self-employed artist with affinity for fine detail pen drawings.
  • Project:Sonic 5 (Sonic 3 & Knuckles Sequel)
  • Wiki edits:24
Edit: I've since simmered down quite a bit from when I initially posted this, so I've gone back and placed my original post in a Spoiler box to hide it from immediate view. :)

Spoiler

I still stand by most of what I said (Sans some financial-related stuff, which in hindsight I was not well informed on!), although I'm a lot happier now. (Partially because Sonic Mania Plus was revealed to be a thing, so I'm ecstatic about that!) ^w^
This post has been edited by Naean: 09 April 2018 - 08:33 PM

#5 User is offline makoeyes 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

Sonic isn't back and won't be back unless developers abandon the belief players want to just "dash through stages like a maniac" in regards to game design. I'm also doubtful that another Mania will happen, at least anytime soon. Just the pessimist in me, I guess.

I dunno if Sega's bleeding money over Sonic, but it certainly does look like horrible franchise management to the nth power. I hate to be crass, but Sega is the abusive, greedy pimp to Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic will turn tricks on demand. Period. And Sega will use, abuse, and shove him out on the streets in whatever way they feel will turn the quickest dollar, past respect or importance as a major gaming icon be damned. There's a shocking lack of reverence regarding their signature mascot who was one of the most highly renowned and known game icons, almost equal to Mario.

#6 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

• Wiki edits:6
This Kickstarter isn't being organised by SEGA. Shinobi7 bought the license to create this game, and they've secured a publisher. They are small companies handling this project and the only way for them to fund it further is through Kickstarter. There's a thread on Reddit by with one of the designers answering questions.
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 09 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

#7 User is offline Naean 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:50 AM

• Self-employed artist with affinity for fine detail pen drawings.
  • Project:Sonic 5 (Sonic 3 & Knuckles Sequel)
  • Wiki edits:24

View PostBlue Blood, on 09 February 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

This Kickstarter isn't being organised by SEGA. Shinobi7 bought the license to create this game, and they've secured a publisher. They are small companies handling this project and the only way for them to fund it further is through Kickstarter. There's a thread on Reddit by with one of the designers answering questions.

Ah, I see. Fair enough I guess.

It still isn't a pretty look amongst the other SEGA shenanigans though; SEGA's self-awareness is on vacation, it would seem. Bleh.
This post has been edited by Naean: 09 February 2018 - 12:03 PM

#8 User is offline makoeyes 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

This is the same thing Atari does...

License their name/brand or whatever to whoever walks in, and then the person is just expected to deliver.

I dunno, freely offering the license to anybody who'll buy even if they don't have the money on their own seems weird.

#9 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostNaean, on 09 February 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

SEGA already had a substantial money loss due to previous bad Sonic outings, and then you stack that on top of that Sonic Forces' failings, I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA are in a bit of a money panic mode.

Ah yes, I had forgotten that the only games Sega put out in 2017 were just two Sonic ones.

You're kidding, right? Yes, Sonic is the flagship, but I'm starting to get tired of hearing this tripe all the time from everywhere as if Sega only ever puts out one game a year and it's somehow Sonic. On consoles/PC Sega put out AT MINIMUM 15 games in 2017 AND bought a new studio. In 2018 we already have a projected 8 coming out so far.

This isn't even going into other stuff like how Sega owns TMS or how Marza Animation Planet put out a fucking Resident Evil movie last year.

But yeah, Forces is mediocre so Sega is scrapping the bottom of that barrel and must almost be in bankruptcy right? This was all without going into the company as a whole (SegaSammy) which includes pachinko and owning several resort hotels.

But yeah, that Sonic.

#10 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:53 PM

• It's sometimes the real thing™
  • Project:New Coke wasn't sold in the UK
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Don't back this noise - they have more than enough funds to get it to market. It's just a promotional exercise to get you to buy more.

Crowd funding is meant to be for those who aren't so lucky. Either spend your money on more meaningful projects... or donate it to an actual charity or something.

#11 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:57 PM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
I'm gonna look past the business aspect and at the game itself: This simply doesn't look like a terribly good game. These sorts of simple, linear, "go forward" board games can be great for little kids, but what parent will spend fifty bucks on this when they can get (from most to least strategic) Sorry! or Pop-O-Matic Trouble or Candyland for a fraction of the price?

#12 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:54 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN

View PostJaxTH, on 09 February 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

View PostNaean, on 09 February 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

SEGA already had a substantial money loss due to previous bad Sonic outings, and then you stack that on top of that Sonic Forces' failings, I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA are in a bit of a money panic mode.

Ah yes, I had forgotten that the only games Sega put out in 2017 were just two Sonic ones.

You're kidding, right? Yes, Sonic is the flagship, but I'm starting to get tired of hearing this tripe all the time from everywhere as if Sega only ever puts out one game a year and it's somehow Sonic. On consoles/PC Sega put out AT MINIMUM 15 games in 2017 AND bought a new studio. In 2018 we already have a projected 8 coming out so far.

This isn't even going into other stuff like how Sega owns TMS or how Marza Animation Planet put out a fucking Resident Evil movie last year.

But yeah, Forces is mediocre so Sega is scrapping the bottom of that barrel and must almost be in bankruptcy right? This was all without going into the company as a whole (SegaSammy) which includes pachinko and owning several resort hotels.

But yeah, that Sonic.

Let's not forget their finger in the Arcade pie. Project Diva is a bit of a money-maker...
But yeah, I think people forget how fooooking MASSIVE SEGA are as a company outside of what we specifically care about. Even in regards to the Videogame side of things, an underperforming Sonic game wouldn't be an issue.

An underperforming Yakuza game however... :v:

#13 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

• Wiki edits:22
Yeah I think it's messed up to do a Kickstarter for a licensed entity. If Sega wants this to happen on its on they can fund it.

#14 User is offline Felik 

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:52 AM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostTurbohog, on 10 February 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

Yeah I think it's messed up to do a Kickstarter for a licensed entity. If Sega wants this to happen on its on they can fund it.

Something something Shemnue

#15 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:53 AM

View PostTurbohog, on 10 February 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

As Blue Blood said earlier, that's not what's happening here. Sega is the licensor. They're not the ones paying, they're the ones getting paid.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users