don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Or it's PR speak.

2. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    If anyone cares, I found a livestream of Lost World going on right now. It's Japanese audio with English text, so there's definitely Spoilers going down.

So yeah, watching this stream has come to the conclusion that Zavok is pretty much unbeatable, which might explain why Sega is releasing a Day 1 patch for the Europe version of the game and why Sega delayed the game by two weeks here in the US. Maybe the patch is meant to fix Zavok so that you can actually beat him?

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if Sega did as an Anti-Piracy method. Want to defeat Zavok and + - Eggman   and save the world? Well, YOU SHOULD'VE BOUGHT IT DAY ONE INSTEAD!

EDIT: HOLY SHIT, + - EGGMAN DIES.   WHAT.

3. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Oh boy dem spoilers. Are the Six going to do what I think they're going to do to?

Holy fuck this game is unintuitive as fuck. That Zavok fight doesn't tell you shit about what you are supposed to actually do to him when he gets to the edge. You just have to try shit until it might work

Also that level design is ATROCIOUS. This is generic platformer shit with bullshit death zones. Not Sonic.

4. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Oh my God, someone please buy this guy the 25 lives DLC.
    At least the music is delicious.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm sorry, care to elaborate on that last part?

Also from the few levels I've seen so far... Yea I'm confused. Kind of a clusterfuck sometimes and not quite Sonic but I'm still interested.

6. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Spoiler alert

there was a cutscene where Eggman and Sonic got ambushed by the deadly six in a bridge on top of a huge hole with lava on the end, Deadly Six destroyed the bridge and Eggman saved Sonic but felt to his doom.

R.I.P Eggman.
    (Of course that's part of his plan, I guess)

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The grindrail zone looks tedious and boring :/

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So I'm guessing he rises from the ashes in his final mech or something like the 3DS version seems to indicate?

Annddd Tails is a cyborg because why not

9. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I'm spotting a lot of things that seem like boneheaded design moves. I'll do a small writeup on my thoughts, but this variety in the stages is just for variety's sake. Not "This is super fun and a good diversion." It comes along as barely serviceable padding. Like a color's padding levels only stretched out and filled with cheap deaths.

Go up to win is the new boost to win.

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Worst plot since 06.

At least the ending is

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They keep saying that. I mean I've gathered bits and peaces of the plot but come on. Sonic 06 is on it's own level.

hidden world, wot m8

Also hey sky chase type level with instrumental Tails theme from SA2

12. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    That final boss after that death gauntlet of levels. Why?

13. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    To say that Sonic and Robotnik fought like in the old games to give it more of that forced classic appeal. Just shoved the new villains completely aside for a ham-fisted mech battle that was almost exactly like Colors'.

14. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Pick up the phone, cause I fuckin called it

ITSA BUNCHA MINIGAMES, ahaahahahaha!

15. Jason

Jason

All hail the ultimate true final boss: Furry Pac-Man.

16. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I....I don't understand this game.

I just don't. The game is scarce on actual Sonic content as 1 or 2 actual acts that have some semblance of level design. The new movement system is cool and someone will put that to good use in speedruns, but the game barely pushes or expects you to use them beyond the designated wallrunning section. You have the option and freedom to explore but are never given the chance to actually do anything with it. Instead have this floating minigame boss thing. It's barely a Sonic game yet it reeks of all its elements. It's a minigame collection for variety's sake blatantly trying to be Mario but not nearly as good and not nearly as clever. It's a polished mess. Going by the actual level design, many parts are built to be counterproductive, cheap, and frustrating. If you move the screen upwards by ascending and then fall down, everything below is now an instant killzone as if it were a pit despite you being there not two seconds ago. More instant deaths exist outside of crushing and pits and many go through invulnerability frames. Enemies are finally dangerous which is great, but the game never tells you what is effective and what isn't. It would have been as simple as a crosshair icon changing, but instead you have to try things until it works. It's unintuitive and doesn't communicate with the player well. Some areas you can die after beating a boss if you end in the wrong place and the game stops taking input. At one point a miniboss shows up and it's unclear what you are supposed to do since its shooting things at you, which you assume will hurt, and the timer is running down. The wisps are awful or one off gimmicks. Beat is total shit.

They had something and they dropped the ball for Mario and minigames.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nevermind the ending. The plot was so-so with some good character moments. The Deadly Six were entertaining but 1 dimensional. They'll be back, yet after thrashing them there isn't any closure especially since the level buildup is just a few stages and a boss rush. That seemed like a difficulty spike. But that Act 2 of Lava Mountain is basically the final boss of the game. The actual Eggman boss is so piss easy you'd think it would be placed in the second world. It's exactly like Colors.

17. Jason

Jason

^Basically the impression I got watching the latter half of the game. It's Super Mario Galaxy and Donkey Kong Country in a Sonic wrapper with a "Now with more Mario looks!" on the side. Hopefully the next game will be more than SINO.

18. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I'm actually worried for where the franchise is going after this. Its the adventure split in gameplay with levels having their own unique mechanics instead of multiple characters. You only play as Sonic but in multiple different minigames that splits the focus. They all appear to be polished and work...but it abandons the basic style like the Adventure split. Worst of all they're highly uninteresting and different just to have an act that's different.

They squandered the new movement system and it basically goes to waste.

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    (snrk)

...Oh boy, I'm in for a real treat aren't I.

20. Jason

Jason

Coffee and/or popcorn, Gene. Get some.