don't click here

Sonic Boom Moves to NYC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RGamer2009, May 22, 2014.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Not always. :v:

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The only things I feel while being in a Crush 40 "concert", I guess you could call it, is a bit of nausea (not a fan of blaringly loud music, so I almost never do concerts anyway) and a mix of shame and disappointment, mostly when Johnny and Jun try to whip out a Sons of Angels-era song, few recognize it, so they have to go to a Sonic theme.

Watch Me Fly... gets so little love compared to tripe like Live and Learn and some of the other themes, but I also like rock ballads (even if Watch Me Fly... isn't a particularly good one.)

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Hardly anyone is actually a Crush 40 fan, so that doesn't surprise me.

4. Nova

Nova

It's unfortunate that this has happened but I know the management and how busy they've been this year in their own endeavours so it's not really too surprising, especially given the radio silence we've had thus far.

But hey, all of you who don't usually come to the Barcade but run into us at SoS... Now's your chance! Go post in the Summertime Retard thread! :eng101:

5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Spoil sports, the lot of you. :colbert: I would love to hear Watch Me Fly however, even though that'll never happen for the reason you mentioned.

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Basically, they play all the main-line game themes they did or covered, they'll definitely do Sonic Boom, very likely whip out Sonic Youth. MAYBE they'll sneak in one of the other two tracks from the Japan 2011 LP and a nod or two to the Sons of Angels stuff, but never longer than the actual Sonic stuff. It gets pretty awkward to hear Sonic Heroes performed live when it's one of their worst themes. Also I Am, but for the reason it's hilarious to see them trying to be dark.

7. Nova

Nova

If I remember rightly, they've done Watch Me Fly both times I've seen them. May be wrong there, though. Definitely was at 2009, though.

Jun on his own is also fantastic, as we got great live renditions of things like Station Square's Adventure Field, Seaside Hill, Green Hill Zone, etc.

8. I'll be going to Sonic Boom this year for sure, and I'm 100% positive it's going to be like that episode of Bob's Burgers where Bob and Lynda go to the Burger Forums conference and nobody wants to talk to BurgerBob.

9. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Having let the dust settle after hearing the news about SoS being put on hiatus for god knows how long, the fact the US is getting something (which will costs loads of money if you live no where near the event; more so if you're from outside the country) while everyone else gets fuck all is still complete utter wank. However, I can understand the reasoning behind the SoS crew. I only wish them the best. Here's hoping we'll see it again.

In the meantime, I'll just echo what everyone else is saying. There's no reason why we still can't pull off a big Sonic Retro UK meet up in the Summer. If you've been to these meet ups before, you should go again. If you've never been to these meet ups before, you should go to one. Link: Summertime Retrard UK Meetup.

10. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Would it be fair to have a separate Boom 2014 topic? I couldn't find this one for a second because I forgot the main topic was SOS' hiatus. :v:

I'm wondering if any Retro folk in the NYC area would have any recommendations. I'm looking to drive up, stay in a hotel outside the city and subway in/out of the city for the weekend. Any good hotels that aren't incredibly expensive? I'll be Googling around but some local tips would be appreciated.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This basically IS the Sonic Boom topic, so I'll just rename it.

12. There are tons of inexpensive hotels in Secaucus NJ which is right outside NYC, you can take the 190 bus from Secaucus to Port Authority in NYC for like $6 round trip. I live in NJ so I'm either gonna drive in or drive to Secaucus and take the bus like I normally do for NYCC.

13. Catley

Catley

Would be pretty sweet to attend this one of these years.

14. Boom tickets go on sale at Ticketmaster, tomorrow, Tuesday, August 5th at 9am ET

http://www.ticketmaster.com/sega-of-america-presents-sonic-boom-new-york-new-york-10-04-2014/event/00004D04D113A855?artistid=2024999&majorcatid=10005&minorcatid=57

15. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Figures tickets go on sale right after I pay rent. There goes that plan. Maybe next year.

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Preliminary prices are $33 according to that.

If that's not placeholder, they better be doing something more than a glorified Crush 40 concert with the usual set list. Being in New York is not a good enough excuse to jack up the price.

17. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'd say that I'm close enough to Sonic Boom this year, but alas, I won't be in October... that said, if my wife is away from work, and we end up in Chicago... what's to stop me from making a lil road trip?

18. Barry the Nomad

Barry the Nomad

Site Staff
    Chicago
    SEGAbits
    I'll be there. That justifies the price hike.

19. I don't like the price hike, but I'm gonna be a man from the simple state of Arizona in New York. Should be fun, and I hope there's some people from Retro to meet.

And maybe we'll get a cool gift

20. Barry the Nomad

Barry the Nomad

Site Staff
    Chicago
    SEGAbits
    Gifts have been confirmed by Sonic himself (or more likely Kellie or Julian) on the Sonic Facebook page. Each ticket holder will receive a wristband which will grant that person one giveaway item/bag/whatever. This means that if you plan to buy four tickets and go alone, you will not get four of everything. Best solution? Ask some street people to attend and have them give you their giveaways when they get them.