don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    This is the greatest thing ever. I can even right now.

2. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    This footage is still doing nothing for me. The TV show is shaping up to be really enjoyable; the games, though, are still not doing as well in my eyes. I understand that they're part of an alternate universe. As a matter of fact, the cutscenes we've seen so far actually make the story look promising (despite Knuckles being more of a moron than usual a total dumbass). The gameplay just still looks bland. I don't have a problem with an alternate universe, but if the core of the game sucks, why bother? Of course, it's just one person, but we have an opinion now, and it's not looking so good.

3. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    I think RoL's going to be at least a solidly average 3D platformer if nothing else. I never expected it to be a Sonic game in the first place so I can't say anything revealed so far has been disappointing or anything. Like it's been said though, the TV show is looking to be a much more enjoyable effort.

4. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Honestly the 3DS version isn't looking horrible. Like, it does what it wants to do competently. The music isn't garbage. It doesn't have technical issues, and it's it looks better than Gens/Lost World by a mile. The level design will make or break it, but from the videos it isn't as dumb as Lost World and isn't as soulless and barren as Gens 3DS.

The Wii U version is almost guaranteed to be certified garbage at this point. There are a lot of technical issues to sort out on top of piss poor gameplay design.

5. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    What the freak is freaking wrong with you all? You freaking freaks, we don't freaking need a freaking Sonic 2006 2 you freaks, Sonic 3 & Freakles is the best freaking Sonic game, you freaking freaks.

My sides.

6. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I wonder if he wants a 3D environment Classic Sonic game and hates the Adventure series fans?

7. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I think he wants a sequel to Sonic 2006 .

8. Lambda

Lambda

For someone who hates Sonic Adventure series fans, he sure seems to like the music... he has the Windy Valley theme in his intro... the freakin' freak.

9. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    The counter to this argument is that games are built with an intended audience, and not meeting this audience's expectations is exactly what a game developer is *not* supposed to do if they want to sell their game.

10. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I trust ProJared's reviews/previews because we basically share the same line of thought. I especially like his "Pro Reviews", tehehe!

What is wrong with Sonic Boom is not the fact that it doesn't look/play/feel like a Sonic game; the problem is that it is fundamentally not a good game itself, with Sonic characters or not. People are only saying "Sonic fans are unpleasable" and "Sonic fans are hating on this game" because this is a Sonic game. If they replaced the characters and this was not a Sonic game, I swear that everybody would agree that this game is bad. People are hating on the new Pacman adventure game for the Wii U, and it looks and plays infinitely superior to this atrocity here.

And for the people who throws the "opinion based on an unfinished, unreleased game" card, you clearly have absolutely no idea about the actual process of a game development project—or software engineering projects, for that matter. Everytime I hear that sentence—or one of its derivatives—not only I cringe but also I'm automatically assured that this person doesn't have the slightest clue of what they are talking about.

11. Machenstein

Machenstein

I feel a little bad for BigRedButton. Part of me wanted this game to fail as soon as I saw the teaser image with the silhouettes. I wanted this to be a wake up call similar to the one Sonic Team had after the backlash Sonic 06 got. But then I think of the people at BigRedButton seeing all of this negative press. I'm sure Sonic Team would be used to it, but BigRedButton, despite being ex-Naughty Dog staff, are still a new developer. I can only hope the vitriol we're seeing won't be too much for them. I'm feeling the same remorse I felt for Eddie LeBron when everyone dogpiled on that fan film.

12. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    They've earned it. They had the opportunity to take Sonic in a widely different direction complete with the creative reigns being pulled from SoJ, and all they did was make a shoddy ass PS2 platformer out of it. It doesn't even matter that they ignored the entirety of the franchise, needlessly redesigned the characters, or made something that doesn't even resemble Sonic, I just want a good game at the end of the day. This game just looks astonishingly subpar to where basic movement doesn't look right. That hasn't happened with Sonic since the storybook titles.

They'll live though. The game is going to go over great with the kiddos who will want the game to go along with the show and at least a portion of mindless Sonic fans so it's going to sell just fine. We'll probably get sequels until the TV show dies. Hopefully they realize what went wrong and pick up the pieces for part 2.

And then 10 years later we'll get fans clamoring for Boom inspired games. :v:

13. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Yeah, I agree with what he said about it seeming like a game that was originally something else, and then Sega came along and said "make it Sonic".

Kinda reminds me of Nintendo and Starfox Adventures or Kirby's Epic Yarn, only except those games at their core are actually good.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I've never heard of this ProJared guy, but he said exactly what I've been thinking about this game. I will still play it, because shoddy PS2 platformers are something of a guilty pleasure of mine.

15. Endri

Endri

Wow, you sure are a masochistic mofo. :v: I can't blame you, though; I do enjoy playing Sonic Blast and Tails' Adventures occasionally. So, yeah. Judge me, if you dare.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Put me in the "likes somewhat shoddy platformers" group of people. I mean, if I could play through pretty much every Spongebob game for Gamecube as a kid, I can play through this, right? :specialed:

17. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Yes. YES. Come out of the woodwork, my running and jumping brethren. We shall tackle this beast the same way we tackled games like Crash of the Titans or The Simpsons Game.

18. Amnimator

Amnimator

Yeah, I have to admit, the comments section on these are entertaining. Some make me cringe while others make me laugh. I give props to Mike Pollock joining in these conversations. You don't see official voice actors jumping into Youtube comments everyday.
    I like to think both positively and negatively before a game is fully shown or released for me to have a proper opinion. Sign me up for team indifferent I guess, me being number eight now.
    I feel your pain. Back on the PS2 there were some great platformers along with absolute crap; the crap taking the majority. Back then we had mostly bad platformers and now we have like no platformers. There are seriously only about four games categorized as platformer in the Xbox Live demo area. I have so many scars from the PS2 platformer era though. You can see my Stuart Little 3 scars all across my right shoulder. Still, if this game doesn't cut it If Sonic games don't cut it for Sega there's so much they can do with the IP. A jam and jelly company called Sonic Jam, a life insurance company called Sonic Generations, a crayon company called Sonic Colors, a cereal called Sonic HerO's, or even a GPS called Sonic Adventure. The possibilities are endless.
    We may fall, lose our lives to buggy physics, and even take our own lives due to hopelessness and free health refills... However, we just have to take a leap of faith, from one badly placed platform to the next. My brothers and sisters, we will make it past the hard times in life, like inaccurate collision boxes, sweat shop CGI, or even a sequel to the pointless movie tie in you just played. Remember, when you feel you need to give up, that Stuart Little needs you; he needs us.

19. corneliab

corneliab

If this game ends up being as bad I expect it to be then I'll definitely never bother picking it up. Actually, this could end up being game of the fucking year and I still won't care if the characters continue to be annoying little chatterboxes during gameplay.

Unleashed, Colors, and Generations got it right with the zipped lips outside cutscenes and I thought this meant that no one would have to deal with that crap anymore. Yeah yeah, new direction and all that, ps2 platforming pedigree or whatever, but the voice acting and dialogue still sounds as bad as ever so good luck pulling that off. Kid Icarus Uprising this ain't.

Man, even ranting about this is unfulfilling. Basically nothing is clicking for me and I kinda just don't even care about it enough to hold out hope. Not my cup of tea, I'm not the target audience, no real point in following this project.

20. Endri

Endri

*yawn*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vds3v39NgN8