don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Yes you can do that. Good luck importing those collada files though. They're freaking huge.

2. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    So far the COLLADA exports don't keep the vertex coloring or the various UV channels other than the first one. Apart from that there's some materials with various texture units loss, since it just uses the main diffuse texture. But that's just because of not coding it in, it's a perfectly capable format for it. In theory, the materials thing shouldn't be too annoying, because once you reimport it back you simply choose to NOT override the materials, and you'll still have your original materials, safe and sound!

But yeah the biggest problem is importing them. They're so big. You can decrease the importing time by converting them first to FBX via the Autodesk FBX converter though.

Also quoting the last update because it was quite important and I don't want any SonicGLvl users to miss it.

3. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    What about the textures? The texture will remain the same unless I edit them or something?

4. Dario FF

Dario FF

When choosing to not override materials it won't copy the textures back in...(this is only for materials with the same names, new materials are still imported in) but seriously just when opening the stage copy in your modified textures to the resources folder in the cache and you're good to go. :v: As long as you don't unpack the stage all over again it won't modify them.

5. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I'm not sure who to ask about this so I'll just post it here.

I'm trying to modify Green Hill's classic act. However, it's not playing nice. I've copied the #ghz100.ar.00 file from bb.cpk into the proper folder in my mods folder. However, it makes the level play wrong and load the geometry from the Modern act instead. I'm so confused -- I've copied the unmodified file into the cpkredir mod directory, so why does it work differently than if the file isn't there at all?

6. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Did you copy the files in the Packed folder as well? Packed/Ghz100. You to have a Packed Folder where #ghz100 is.
    #ghz100.ar.00
    PackedgGhz100

It should like that. Or, do you mean that it loads modern's geometry in-game?

7. ItzWizzz

ItzWizzz

Speed Wiz
    Nigeria, Africa
    Genie!!!!!!!(Manga)/Unamed Sonic RPG.
    Really liking the Dragon Road hub!!!! It's really awesome!!

8. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Question, how do I import animation in to Max? I have to use the HavokTools?

9. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Use the Skyrim Tools hkxcmd.exe and it makes a .kf to import into max. Thats how you'll get animations imported. Have to import the animation over a few time to work perfectly.

10. Dario FF

Dario FF

You're probably using something related to my Classic Sonic Swap mod aren't you? Because that would be the only reasonable explanation. I'd recommend you to use a really simple mods folder template like this one. I've included a modsdb.ini as well that works pretty well for me.

http://sonic-glvl.googlecode.com/files/TemplateMod.7z

11. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Code (Text):
    2. F:\Files\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sonic generations\mod_tools\tools\hkxcmd_1
    3. _4-1797>hkxcmd ExportKF -n sph_obj_rocket_idle.anm.hkx
    4. No skeletons found. Skipping 'F:\Files\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sonic genera
    5. tions\mod_tools\tools\hkxcmd_1_4-1797\'
    I keep getting this error. Am I doing something wrong? Or will it work with specific hkx files?
    Edit: Okay, I manged to get to work, but I got .anm files.

Edit:. I got it convert, but when I use the same path, it doesn't work.

Code (Text):
    3. C:\hkxcmd>hkxcmd Convert Data
    4. Converting '.\rocket.skl-out.hkx' ...
    5. Converting '.\rocket.skl.hkx' ...
    6. Converting '.\animations\sph_obj_rocket_idle.anm.hkx' ...
    7. Converting '.\animations\sph_obj_rocket_wingopen.anm.hkx' ...
    9. C:\hkxcmd>hkxcmd exportkf Data
    10. No files found

12. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I triple-checked that this wasn't the case. Here's my modsDB.ini.

[Main]
    ReverseLoadOrder=False
    ActiveModCount=2
    ActiveMod0="LogoRemoval"
    ActiveMod1="SkyTroops"

[Mods]
    CSA="CSA\mod.ini"
    Unleashed="Unleashed\mod.ini"
    LogoRemoval="LogoRemoval\mod.ini"
    SAGenerations="SAGenerations\mod.ini"
    SkyTroops="SkyTroops\mod.ini"

EDIT: Got it. Turns out the .cpks I extracted from were using an old version of the classic swap mod I hard-installed a long time ago, before CPKREDIR existed. I re-extracted from the normal CPKs and everything's cool.

13. Dario FF

Dario FF

It looks fine from here. I can't really tell what else could be wrong without those two mod folders. I don't expect you to send me the full folder of your mod though so... :v:

14. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Hey, Dario. Friend was wondering how you import the Board-Startup from City Escape into other levels. Mind explaining? :specialed:

Also, a few things. Though I doubt it's possible it's always a good idea to ask: Would it ever be possible to have Modern/Classic switching inside levels themselves? And would it also be possible to have Sonicglvl to map where the springs/dash rings lead? Not much trouble really but it would make things a lot easier in some cases.

By the way, Balloons are still broken in the newest release of Sonicglvl.

15. upg

upg

Hey, random question - Will you be importing level themes from Sonic 4 Ep.2 for Classic Sonic at all?

16. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Those are both different engines. It would be a pain in the ass to do it (for instance you would've to place every single spring and interactive object all by yourself) and there would be a few objects that probably wouldn't work, but yeah, could've been done. I'm just not sure of why the hell would someone take his time to do this. This 'playground' that SEGA gave us called "Sonic Generations" will be allowing us to port almost ten years of Sonic games in, so I'm pretty sure that people will go for top of the shelf on these futures mods.

17. Dario FF

Dario FF

The starting mode for the spawn point is "Board" IIRC. Apart from that, if you're using a level that isn't City Escape or the Rooftop Run Mission, you'll have to open up #Application.ar.00 in bb3.cpk, and edit the ArchiveTree.xml to append SonicBoard to the stage you want. You'll figure it out from there.

I think that would only work for the HUB level. Probably requires exe hacking to do what you said.

They aren't broken, they just need their models re-ripped. Either contribute a fixed model to the SVN or wait. This still is after all an in-development version until 1.0...

18. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Is there any tutorial for the models? I'd love to extract the rest for you so you so you don't have to do it yourself.

Two more things though: Firstly, how do you exactly edit the UI_Loading.dds? I used Photoshop to edit the level name I wanted but it seems to have messed up somewhere (not sure where.) if you could post a tutorial of some sort? I'd love the help.

Secondly, do you have any idea how "Dash" Splines work? I tried importing my own spline but for some reason, it limits Sonic to the spline rather than what's around it. I've gotten every spline but this one working.

Thanks for all the responses though. Don't stop being awesome!

19. Dario FF

Dario FF

Basically you just need to grab the script on the SonicGLvl folder for importing any models, and then either use OgreMax or EasyOgreExporter for exporting the scene. Then you can just pick the .material files, the .mesh files, and any relevant textures, and simply drop them in the relevant folders. (media/materials/scripts for .material files, media/materials/textures for any DDS files, and media/models for .mesh files). Notice that if you want to add new folders, you'll have to edit resources.cfg to add to the FileSystem your new folder.

Then assigning the meshes to the templates is a simple job of editing the <Mesh> nodes in the XML. You don't need to specify the full path of the mesh, just the name. If you want to contribute to the SVN, pm me your e-mail associated to your google code account(You'll have one if you have ANY google account), and I'll add you to comitters so you can just use any SVN tools you want(like TortoiseSVN). Then all you'd have to do is a checkout of the repository, edit it with your changes, and commit it. Building the database would be a great contribution at this moment, since now you can be sure I won't break it with any new changes. Ideally, the end-user wouldn't have to bother with templates at all if a good enough DB is built.

Photoshop seems to handle DDS textures in an odd way with the plugin. You can see the Alpha channel(look at the tab next to layers). You have to do any edits you do into both channels if you want to keep the original alpha of the rest of the titlecards. Then on your custom title-card, you could just paint the whole area it's on to black(with the alpha channel selected obviously), then Left Ctrl+Left click on the layer of your custom text(so you can select the contents of the layer), then switch back to editing the alpha channel and paint it with white. Perhaps somebody knows a more proper way though since I haven't experimented much with it at all.

I think it's because you have to make two splines on the same one(IDK how it's doable in Max with Dude's script so you'd have to ask him about it), limiting the area where Sonic is supposed to go. Kind of like this:
    [​IMG]
    Also I guess it's obvious, but you have to append @DP to it for it to be considered a Dash path(I think).

20. Paraxade

Paraxade

Hi, new here. Anyway, I'm having an issue with SonicGLvl. I can't import my level in. I'm using the correct export settings and everything exports fine, but then when I try to import it into SonicGLvl it just closes and the command line briefly flashes this line:

"An exception has occured: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource Box003.mesh in resource group Autodetect or any other group, in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at ..\..\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756)"

I had this same issue a couple days ago, and as I recall I was able to get it to import by renaming some of my objects in 3DSMax, but incorrectly; it would include things from earlier exports like a ramp from a test level I'd made earlier, or the room that was actually supposed to be there on top of itself three times, which should not have been there since they weren't in the .max file I was exporting from. Finally "fixed" it by restarting the level from scratch (there wasn't much to it), but it seems to have come up again <_<

Anyone know what's causing this/how to fix it? I'm using the latest versions of both EOE and SonicGLvl.