don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Dear God Dario. Fantastic fantastic work here! Soooo close to a full on Unleashed PC!

One thing I have to ask though, do you know why in the free roam sections, Sonic tends to move behind the camera? That can get a little jarring, but if it's unfixable, it shouldn't be that much a problem in the long run. Overall, fantastic find!

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Give me your address so I can fly to your house and personally high five you.

Also, what kind of RAM do you need? No promises, but I may be able to help if it makes this stuff easier for you.

If I can't provide, set up some kind of paypal donation. Having only 2GB RAM is almost a crime considering what you're doing.

EDIT: One more thing, Are the portal gates for the bonus stages objects with easily editable pointers? If so, that may solve any problems accessing the levels instead of replacing the main stages.

3. Portalboat

Portalboat

I was actually looking at that, Lobotomy. I haven't really looked at the mission gates, but the general level gates all seem to be programmed the same, except for a stage ID thing. If it's not hardcoded, we could find where they're defined and add more/change them.

EDIT: It looks like the stage names use the stage ID system, too.

4. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Does this mean I have to start making sonic generations levels now?

5. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    http://www.dsogaming.com/news/holy-sonic-sonic-unleashed-stages-coming-to-sonic-generations-pc/

Look who's getting some recognition :P Good on ya Dario. You deserve it for your laborious attempts at trying to get this to work!

6. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Holy shit. Epic stuff man. Epic Stuff.

I'd love to see more videos with levels, I remember a few of those levels that had proper lighting already working!

7. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    The texture bugginess is actually related to two things.
    1 - Some textures just need to be uv flipped.
    2 - I'm not sure if the GIA lighting data is compatible.

I've been looking over it yesterday, perhaps I can just make the lighting data all lit up for the moment so it doesn't look that ugly. Although there's a few more settings I want to try to flip the texture and see if it corrects itself.

I'm not sure if a custom camera object is causing that. I think in Unleashed, the camera is a bit more behind Sonic than Generations', so that might be why it looks so weird. That might be because I imported the camera path Unleashed uses on that section instead of letting Generations do the free roam itself there.

I appreciate the gesture, but I won't accept anything. My own problems, and besides, it's outdated DDR2 ram. An upgrade would cost me an entirely new motherboard, CPU(because I wouldn't buy a new motherboard without a new socket), and ram. I've already got my little funds for that being saved though, going for 8 GB DDR3 as soon as I upgrade. :)

It's probably doable, but replacing the main stages is a choice of mine because of:
    1 - I think the main stages song are the only ones compatible with the boost variants of the songs.
    2 - I want to share the geometry of the main stage to add the Hard versions of the acts as missions. Also, if Zoney sends them, the DLC stages.
    3 - I think it'd be cool like some sort of different game rather than extra stages.

There's no worries though, files can be renamed if anyone just wants to replace and add mission gates as those stages instead of replacing everything.

You certainly can't just make one from scratch. Importing custom geometry isn't doable yet, but you can start making the collision in max if you want. It'll work. :eng101: Only problem is, you can't edit some of the custom paths(rails grinding, loops, corkscrews) because there's no parser for them yet. It's just a bunch of bezier patches/splines though.

That's pretty cool. :)

EDIT: Here's some tests with Windmill Isle Act 2. I filled all the global illumination textures with white to check out the texture mapping. I did a 90 degrees CW rotation and horizontal flip to all the textures except the sky, and it looks like they're correctly mapped now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Screenshot of Unleashed for the sake of comparison:
    [​IMG]

8. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    Sonic Unleashed: now in Unlit mode :specialed:

Hrm, kinda disheartening to see the Global Illumination textures not work. Maybe you can compare the GI data in Generations to that from Unleashed. Try doing that with Rooftop Run in both games, considering how close that stage is to its original in a lot of parts.

EDIT: hrm, did you try rotating and flipping the GI maps? :P

9. Dario FF

Dario FF

I did actually. Horizontally, vertically, ccw 90 and flip, cw 90 and flip. :v: At least it's nice to know it can probably be fixed and all those dark patches were just the buggy lighting, not the textures.

EDIT: Here's an album of the different flips and rotations I tried. Perhaps you can find some sense on it.

10. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    So are you making your own collision meshes for these maps or importing the ones from Unleashed? Sorry if this was already answered.

Also, how far are you on Apotos Act 2? Enough for a video? :3c

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Thinking about it, though I don't think this will apply in any form to the daytime stages, but it'd be neat to see the stages restored to their full lengths if progress ever gets that far.

However, the only examples I can think of with unused stuff or shortened acts have all been Werehog night time stages (Arid Sands, Jungle Joyride, Skyscraper Scamper, and Savannah Citadel.)

Perhaps it's too far reaching of me, but it makes me wonder how Colors stages would fare making the jump over. The Super Sonic layouts, maybe with additional dickery, could work well for Classic Sonic, at least the ones that don't require sidesteps or boosting away from giant flying Yardins.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Because requesting things is fun, what are the chances a stage from, oh say, UnWiished or Sonic 06 could make its way into this game? It'd be interesting seeing UnWiished levels with a boost that doesn't suck.

13. Dario FF

Dario FF

Zoney is working on custom collision meshes(and well, he's the only one with the mesh exporter actually). It takes time, but it's possible. Compare a cluttered stage like this, to something like dragon road which will be far easier to rip.

And Apotos Act 2 will require quite a bit of work. Lots of stuff to replace regarding object design.

Any custom geometry imports will be possible when the format's figured out. Hopefully it'll be possible to import from a popular 3D editor.

Different engines, but same problem that with Colors. Only possible when geometry imports are working.

14. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    After what Dario FF said above, it would be possible, but I would absolutely not count on anyone wanting to do it. You'd have just the raw stages with none of the items, enemies, camera angles or pointers. Imagine even attempting Aquatic Base without anything but the mesh.

Not going to say anything bad about the Sonic '06 stages themselves, though. They were pretty good, but if they DO get imported by some off-chance, you'd probably be better off playing them as Classic Sonic in 3D, because you don't want boost in Sonic Adventure styled stages.

Unwiished mite b cool though.

15. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    Yeah that global illumination texture setup makes little to no sense. Like I said, why not try comparing Unleashed GI textures to Generations? Perhapse there's a scaling/tiling difference (doubt it) or there's just some odd algorith to them :S

Also maybe you have to rotate 180? </wishful thinking>

EDIT: In any case, the stages look darker overall than in Unleashed, for whatever reason. We might need to find out how exactly Generations does their global illumination maps, pray that TwilightZoney's model exporter also exports the second UV channel (used for lightmap data), and possibly render out our own lightmaps (even if they end up being cheap). Who wants to get off their computer for a week or two? :specialed:

16. I'm amazed at how far this has come along. I got my copy of the game during that Steam sale, so it seems kind of funny how I hardly have the original game beat and you've already come this far in importing new levels. I mean, I still have the challenge missions left to do, as well as finding all the red rings. I know one of the main complaints about the game was how short it was (at least for me it was), so it's kind of neat how by the time I finish the core game, you'll probably have the Unleashed levels finished and ready to go.

Once you finish importing and tweaking the Unleashed levels, you mentioned how you're considering trying to get a fangame editor's custom levels imported as a next project. Do you have a particular editor in mind? Blitz Sonic seems to have a ton of levels to import, even if the physics are absolute crap. Of course, transferring the levels over would fix that problem. Sonic GDK doesn't have much of anything by way of finished levels available, but it seems to me as though it would be the easiest to work with. I mean, don't both run Havok?

*sigh* I had another question I wanted to ask, but I got interrupted and lost my train of thought. Sorry if my previous question sounded a bit stupid. I don't know anything at all on this, myself, so I might end up asking completely retarded things without realizing.

17. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    SGDK uses UDK, which uses PhysX as its physics engine IIRC. If you want to make a collision mesh it's as easy as modelling over your geometry or exporting the geometry itself (while tweaking it since lots of polygons in collision meshes lags Generations). You can also build light maps in UDK and then export them if you wish but I don't know how compatable those are with Generations if at all.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh ya the Sonic 06 levels would be ideal for Classic Sonic, but they gotta fix that spindash of his. But that'd be wonderful, Classic Sonic could have the Sonic 06 levels, and Modern could have the UnWiished levels. A new experience for all.

19. Has anyone figured out a method of siphoning all of the money in my bank account directly to Dario FF?

I am seriously excited by the progress of this.

20. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    [​IMG]

Well I got Holoska done this far I'll try rebuilding it up later. But I got it done to the bare basics. Glad I remember how the stages layouts are from my long time of playing these stages. So I can recognize them. Hah take that, playing games rocks.

Anyways, Dario is fixing up the finished Apotos Act 2 collision mesh. I'm working on Chunan to tear that apart next.